Author Topic: Talking to Kids About Free Speech in the Era of Hateful Rhetoric  (Read 542 times)

rangerrebew

Talking to Kids About Free Speech in the Era of Hateful Rhetoric
It’s not easy, but there are ways to make it a productive conversation.

By Steven Schlozman, M.D., Contributor |March 23, 2018, at 6:00 a.m.

Two years ago I was driving through the countryside with my 10-year-old daughter. It was a picture-perfect summer day. Fair-weather clouds dotted the pale blue sky, and there were swallows darting in and out of the never-ending corn fields. The sun had just started to set, giving everything that orange-red glow that seems new and magical even after you’ve drank it in a thousand times before. My daughter and I were laughing at my insistence that we listen to country music. I’d had enough of the same old pop songs she liked, and there was something about a fiddle and a twangy guitar that just fit the day. It all felt quintessentially American.

But then we saw the little yellow house.

https://health.usnews.com/wellness/for-parents/articles/2018-03-23/talking-to-kids-about-free-speech-in-the-era-of-hateful-rhetoric

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Talking to Kids About Free Speech in the Era of Hateful Rhetoric
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 03:13:05 pm »
A Nazi flag does not signify that anyone hates anyone. If you want to know if they hate someone, ask them. We used to put George Wallace for President stickers on cars just for a goof.

Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 03:15:22 pm »
A Nazi flag does not signify that anyone hates anyone. If you want to know if they hate someone, ask them. We used to put George Wallace for President stickers on cars just for a goof.

That will get the cars set on fire today.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2018, 12:30:12 am »
If you want to know if they hate someone, ask them. We used to put George Wallace for President stickers on cars just for a goof.

I bet you voted for George McGoveren for president and are a friend of them long-haired hippie type pinko f ags
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."