Author Topic: Tai chi as good as or better than aerobic exercise for managing chronic pain  (Read 566 times)

rangerrebew

Tai chi as good as or better than aerobic exercise for managing chronic pain
March 21, 2018, British Medical Journal
Tai chi as good as or better than aerobic exercise for managing chronic pain

The ancient martial art of tai chi has similar or greater benefits than aerobic exercise for people with the chronic pain condition fibromyalgia, finds a trial published by The BMJ today.

The findings suggest it may be time to rethink what type of exercise is most effective for patients with chronic pain conditions.

Fibromyalgia is a long-term condition that causes widespread body pain. It may also lead to extreme tiredness, muscle stiffness, difficulty sleeping and depression. It affects around 2-4% of the adult population worldwide.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-03-tai-chi-good-aerobic-chronic.html

Offline Applewood

Tai Chi is a good exercise in general.  It reduces stress and stretches the muscles.  Keeps a person limber.

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
Tai Chi is a good exercise in general.  It reduces stress and stretches the muscles.  Keeps a person limber.

I can tell you this for certain:  Just moving while in the throes of fibromyalgia helps with the pain.

I am finally going Chinese in the doc department.  Going to make an appointment today with an acupuncture Ph.d.  We shall see.  It is difficult to really move around in 115 degree heat in the summer. 

Someone else here has it.  I believe it is @Victoria33.  Yes, I think that is the correct person.  Would you like me to tell you of my wanderings into a new area?  Perhaps you have already been there.  I don't know.

:xedfingers:
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline thackney

Going to make an appointment today with an acupuncture Ph.d.  We shall see...

I used to think Acupuncture was just pseudo medicine.  But we have found real pain relief for our horses with it.  I am convinced it can relieve some types of pain.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer