Author Topic: Bloody scenes of life under IS haunt Mosul returnees  (Read 392 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Bloody scenes of life under IS haunt Mosul returnees
« on: March 21, 2018, 04:06:15 pm »
Bloody scenes of life under IS haunt Mosul returnees
Raya Jalabi

5 Min Read

MOSUL, Iraq (Reuters) - For residents of the Old City, returning to Mosul is an exercise in trying to forget.

Its streets bear the scars of the horrors they survived – either living under Islamic State’s (IS) draconian rule or during nine months of brutal fighting, as the U.S.-led coalition battled to recapture the city from the jihadists.

“This corner is where Daesh whipped my sons for talking out of turn,” said Um Abdullah, using the Arabic acronym for Islamic State, walking around the neighborhood she returned to in January. “And this corner is where they killed my father for trying to stop them.”

Read more at: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-iraq-mosul-official-scene/bloody-scenes-of-life-under-is-haunt-mosul-returnees-idUSKBN1GX1AL

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Bloody scenes of life under IS haunt Mosul returnees
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:08:56 pm »
This bothered me, ISIS, it bothered so many people that a number of Americans, Brits, Australians and others volunteered to go over there to fight against ISIS. A number lost their lives, some also went to the other side, no doubt about that. Something really needed to be done; and some say, our ill-managed withdrawal under Obama of troops from Iraq, helped cause the troubling situation.  That if they had been there, perhaps we would not see the rise of ISIS which I agree with. 

Now, it's another mess with how Turkey is acting.