Author Topic: New discoveries on Mary Magdalene suggest she might have been a rich widow  (Read 766 times)

rangerrebew

New discoveries on Mary Magdalene suggest she might have been a rich widow
Rachel Cruz Wed 21 Mar 2018 15:01 GMT

Was Mary Magdalene really a former prostitute who followed Jesus Christ? New discoveries suggest that one of the most famous women in history might have actually been a rich widow.

Research at a recently discovered archeological site in Magdala in Jerusalem suggests that Mary Magdalene might have been part of a ministry that followed Jesus Christ and was possibly a rich widow, not a prostitute, whose money funded a synagogue or house of prayer for believers.

Scholars said that during the first century, people were named after their hometown, hence Mary Magdalene may have been from Magdala. In the Gospels, Luke mentioned her as one of the first women who took care of Jesus with their own resources, thus the possibility that she was rich.

https://www.christiantoday.com/society/new-discoveries-on-mary-magdalene-suggest-she-might-have-been-a-rich-widow/127662.htm

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The entire concept of her being a prostitute isn't biblical. I believe that started in the 3rd century.  The few mentions in the Bible of her, at most,  say she was cured of evil spirits (Luke 8) but don't give detail.

The other main verse attributed to her (although not named) John 7:53—8:11, may have been added later as it isn't found in the oldest copies. Many Bibles now have a footnote this story (stoning of the woman who committed adultery) may have been added later.

Most if what we know (or think we know) about her comes from non cannon Gnostic documents.

Offline musiclady

Good info, AbaraXas . Thanks for posting.

Legend often gets mixed in with the actual Biblical record.... which doesn’t say much about her.

Some may even rely on Jesus Christ Superstar for their ‘facts.’  ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...

000hehehehe

Offline musiclady

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor

Wait.  That's not factual?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
She was a Russian spy, under psychological manipulation by right-wing extremists.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline musiclady

Wait.  That's not factual?

Well, I suppose it COULD be.......  :pondering:

Offline guitar4jesus

• Yup...
She was a Russian spy, under psychological manipulation by right-wing extremists.

The Koch sister.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
The entire concept of her being a prostitute isn't biblical. I believe that started in the 3rd century.  The few mentions in the Bible of her, at most,  say she was cured of evil spirits (Luke 8) but don't give detail.

The other main verse attributed to her (although not named) John 7:53—8:11, may have been added later as it isn't found in the oldest copies. Many Bibles now have a footnote this story (stoning of the woman who committed adultery) may have been added later.

Most if what we know (or think we know) about her comes from non cannon Gnostic documents.

Very well said. 

Offline Victoria33

@rangerrebew

This is not new news.  It has been known she was not a prostitute, she was Mary of Magdalene (the town, not sure of spelling), was wealthy widow and followed Jesus paying for what was needed for shelter.  She was a female disciple.  When my website is up, there will be a Bible section.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 11:41:46 pm by Victoria33 »