Author Topic: Florida may vote to ban oil and gas drilling in state waters  (Read 1388 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Florida may vote to ban oil and gas drilling in state waters
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:28:25 am »
Tampa Bay Times March 20, 2018

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-may-vote-to-ban-oil-and-gas-drilling-in-state-waters-ap_florida22e3371171b04fc9aad4d439bf128ac2

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida voters may get a chance to ban oil and gas drilling in waters near the state's coast.

A powerful panel that can alter the Florida Constitution gave preliminary approval on Tuesday to a proposed ban. The Florida Constitution Revision Commission will take a final vote by May on whether to put it on the 2018 ballot.

Sixty-percent of voters must vote yes in order for the amendment to take effect. If adopted, oil and gas drilling would not be allowed up to nine miles off the coast in the Gulf of Mexico and up to three miles off the Atlantic coastline.

The 37-member panel meets every 20 years and is allowed to propose changes to the state constitution. The commission held its first meeting a year ago.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Florida may vote to ban oil and gas drilling in state waters
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 02:31:19 am »
LOL. Eff em if they don't want gas for their cars. They can walk.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 02:45:37 am »
Don't have a problem with Florida 

Conservatism, at a time far far ago and in another universe left the powers not expressly defined in the Constitution to the States...

So some interest in the state came up with a proposal, there will be hearings, it may or may not become law... isn't that the way it should work  :shrug:

I'm at a loss to understand why someone calling themselves a Conservative would have a problem with this unless they buy into the talk show outrage of the day and are simply partoting what they heard...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:46:18 am by montanajoe »

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 02:52:17 am »

I'm at a loss to understand why someone calling themselves a Conservative would have a problem with this unless they buy into the talk show outrage of the day and are simply partoting what they heard...

Can you point out who you are directing your post to? The article is a straight news piece about what they are doing and the only other post on this thread is me saying I don't care. As a matter of fact the comments on the Tampa Bay article are on football, boats and Syria.

You make absolutely no sense at all.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2018, 04:32:37 am »
LOL. Eff em if they don't want gas for their cars. They can walk.

Why would they walk when they have vehicles and fuel?  They never said they don't want gas. Your post makes no sense.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2018, 12:09:32 pm »
Tampa Bay Times March 20, 2018

http://www.tampabay.com/florida-may-vote-to-ban-oil-and-gas-drilling-in-state-waters-ap_florida22e3371171b04fc9aad4d439bf128ac2

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida voters may get a chance to ban oil and gas drilling in waters near the state's coast.

A powerful panel that can alter the Florida Constitution gave preliminary approval on Tuesday to a proposed ban. The Florida Constitution Revision Commission will take a final vote by May on whether to put it on the 2018 ballot.

Sixty-percent of voters must vote yes in order for the amendment to take effect. If adopted, oil and gas drilling would not be allowed up to nine miles off the coast in the Gulf of Mexico and up to three miles off the Atlantic coastline.

The 37-member panel meets every 20 years and is allowed to propose changes to the state constitution. The commission held its first meeting a year ago.
The article misspeaks about the power of this 'powerful panel'.

Says it 'can alter the Florida Constitution' then goes on to say it cannot, as it can only suggest changes to it.

I hate garbage pieces of so called news that contradicts itself in the second sentence.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »
The economy is gangbusters now, but eventually the pendulum will swing back the other way and people will be looking for jobs again. Then they will regret this decision. But for now, I expect a lot more of this.