Author Topic: The Cambridge Analytica Panic Is The Silliest Conspiracy Of The Entire Russia Scare  (Read 1185 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Cambridge Analytica Panic Is The Silliest Conspiracy Of The Entire Russia Scare
And that's saying a lot.
The Federalist, Mar 20, 2018, David Harsanyi   

The theory goes something like this: Facebook obtained information on users who took a personality quiz with their online friends. Another outlet, Cambridge Analytica, harvested that information to brainwash a bunch of rubes, and then yada, yada, yada … Russia! Senators are now demanding executives come forth and answer questions. Investigations must be open. Democracy is under threat.

Former Cambridge Analytica contractor and now-professional whistleblower Christopher Wylie told CNN that while at the company he helped build a “psychological warfare weapon” to “exploit mental vulnerabilities that our algorithms showed that [Facebook users] had.”  So, in other words, he worked in the advertising business.

Those who have covered politics for more than a single Trump-cycle should know better than to use this kind of unnerving rhetoric for what amounts to average microtargeting, which has been used by hundreds, if not thousands, of firms. Yet, now, when it serves to bolster convoluted theories about an election being overthrown, terms like “psychographics” and “breach” are being thrown around to make it sound like someone hacked into voting rolls after boring into the deepest recesses of our souls.

<snip>

And so what if voters were being “targeted?” Part of living in a free society means being bombarded by messages we don’t like. The entire Facebook/Russiabot scare is predicated on the notion that people don’t have free will. It’s only once we start micromanaging the information Americans consume that we begin undermining choices. Of course people shouldn’t get their news from Facebook. And a reliable Fourth Estate which reports without bias to help Americans navigate through this messy contemporary digital life would be helpful. But the Cambridge Analytica story is just another example of how it fails

Read more:  http://thefederalist.com/2018/03/20/the-cambridge-analytica-panic-is-the-silliest-russia-scare-conspiracy/

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What I wonder about this, as I've been watching it unfold, is how far are the leftists willing to push this conspiracy theory?  Are they willing to crash their precious Bookface?

Because that's what it's going to do.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
What I wonder about this, as I've been watching it unfold, is how far are the leftists willing to push this conspiracy theory?  Are they willing to crash their precious Bookface?

Because that's what it's going to do.

And that would be a good thing.   Heck, I have to think hard if offered a hypothetical bargain - Trump's presidency in exchange for the demise of Bookface.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And that would be a good thing.   Heck, I have to think hard if offered a hypothetical bargain - Trump's presidency in exchange for the demise of Bookface.

Me too.   :pondering:

How's the leg?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Frank Cannon

The GOP was able to match and exceed the Rats in data mining. Now they don't care if the system collapses because they have gone back to Soros money corrupting local elections.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.

@Jazzhead  How are you feeling???

And yes, I hope this takes down Cambridge A and FB both!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
CL and Laura,

Right now the leg's in a brace so the tendon can heal.   It will take a while - and then there's the rehab.   Bottom line is I'm bored,  my wife is polite about it but I know she's sick of me,  and I want to get back to work!   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
CL and Laura,

Right now the leg's in a brace so the tendon can heal.   It will take a while - and then there's the rehab.   Bottom line is I'm bored,  my wife is polite about it but I know she's sick of me,  and I want to get back to work!

Be patient with yourself.  I had a couple hip replacements, and healing the cut tendons took the longest.  Good thing is after a couple weeks NSAIDS work for the pain.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:24:09 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
CL and Laura,

@Jazzhead  Sorry you're bored!  We hope you enjoy all the White House expulsions and heartfelt Playboy bunny confessions we arranged to keep you amused.  Needlepoint can be fun, too.
  888heartkitty
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:17:39 am by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline thackney

CL and Laura,

a

@Jazzhead

Thanks for the update.  Having patience is tough.  Let me know if you figure out a way to find it.  I think it fell in between the words of Galatians 5:22-23.  Not finding it, but I'm still searching for it.

-peace
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:10:01 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer