Author Topic: Sunburn and hell's itch: How to get relief  (Read 412 times)

rangerrebew

Sunburn and hell's itch: How to get relief
« on: March 19, 2018, 04:03:29 pm »
Sunburn and hell's itch: How to get relief
Last reviewed Mon 19 March 2018
By Jennifer Berry   
Reviewed by Debra Rose Wilson, PhD, MSN, RN, IBCLC, AHN-BC, CHT   

Sunburn can be a painful consequence of spending too much time in the sun or a tanning bed. In rare cases, people with sunburn may also experience an extreme, deep, painful itching called hell's itch.

Also known as devil's itch or fire ant itch, some people describe it as an unrelenting itch that can keep them awake at night and persist for days while the skin heals.

Read on to learn how to treat hell's itch and what to avoid while the skin is healing.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321249.php

Offline Victoria33

Re: Sunburn and hell's itch: How to get relief
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 04:28:22 pm »
I have very light skin.  I have burned myself twice, with blisters and real pain, with the sun.  Both times were accidental.  I was a senior in high school, and the seniors made a trip to Galveston, Texas, to the beach and stayed in a hotel that night.  It was a cloudy day, no sun shining through, so I thought nothing about being on the beach all that day.  At nighttime, in the hotel, my skin over my whole body starting hurting, I felt like I was burning up, I was hot; think I must have had fever.  My whole body became one big blister over my whole body.  When that happened, from then on, I never got in the sun to get a "tan".  I should have been taken to a doctor, but in those days, 1951, one didn't go to a doctor unless you were one step from death.

Many years after that, my husband and I had a houseboat.  One day we got into the water and I floated on a blow up thingy one person raft.  I had put on sunscreen before getting in the water.  Well, the water flowed over the raft and washed away the sunscreen - I did not know that was happening.  After we got out of the water, my legs started burning and turning red.  I had blisters up and down both legs - they were burning and I felt feverish.  I could not put any material on my legs, could not touch them with anything or they would hurt like hell.  I stayed mostly in bed for two days after that. 

I have never stayed a period of time in the sun since that time.  About a month ago, had to go to a dermatologist due to dryness on my hands.  She examined my skin and said it showed I did not stay in the sun as my skin is not damaged from sun.

I see middle aged, older, women golfers and their skin looks like tanned leather.  They are subject to skin cancer.