Author Topic: The Politics of Debt in America: From Debtor’s Prison to Debtor Nation  (Read 1055 times)

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
I found this while looking for info about the Founding Fathers' attitude toward debt.  It's a history of debt in the U.S., and I'd love to get your all's opinions about it.

https://www.commondreams.org/views/2013/01/29/politics-debt-america-debtors-prison-debtor-nation

"Debt remains, as it long has been, the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of capitalism.  For a small minority, it’s a blessing; for others a curse.  For some the moral burden of carrying debt is a heavy one, and no one lets them forget it.  For privileged others, debt bears no moral baggage at all, presents itself as an opportunity to prosper, and if things go wrong can be dumped without a qualm."
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Suppressed

I think minor amounts of debt can be acceptable, if the deficit spending was put to good use, such as investment or dealing with an emergency.

That being said, I'm not advocating speculative investment by the government.

That being said, I'm not unsympathetic to those economists why say that a non-deficit economy is inherently unable to compete with a deficit one, and that our federal government would cost more if not allowed some small debt.

What we have now is far above that, though.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Concerned

As @Suppressed implied, a reasonable amount of debt makes sense for everyone:  individuals (e.g., mortgages), companies (e.g., capital investment), and nations (e.g., stimulus to recover from economic crises).   As a nation, I think we’ve gone well beyond that though.  The warning signs have been and continue to be clear yet our leadership and politicians are ignoring the warnings.  Just this week: 

The amount of money the U.S. government spends servicing its debt would surpass defense spending by 2024 and Medicaid spending by 2021, according to a study by the Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB).

<snip>

Things could be significantly worse if lawmakers intervene to stop certain tax cuts from expiring, which is likely.

In that case, CRFB found, servicing the debt would cost $1.05 trillion by 2028, or 3.6 percent of GDP.  That would amount to a quadrupling of the current interest payment, making debt servicing the fastest-growing category in government spending.

Can you imagine $1T in interest payments?  I would have thought the Greek debt crisis a few years ago would have been a red flag for all nations.  Instead, Obama just kept adding trillions to the debt and inexplicably so have Trump and a Republican Congress.  This chart was from a few years ago, but I don’t think it’s gotten any better:

Our current levels of debt and deficit spending just isn't fiscally sustainable yet we keep doing it.

http://thehill.com/policy/finance/378607-us-could-spend-more-on-servicing-debt-than-defense-by-2024-study
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline LMAO

Our total debt is over 100% of GDP. This is the second time in our history. WW2 did it but that was war debt which could be paid down after the war. Entitlements now count for most of the federal budget and that's going to grow.

It's simply not sustainable and the only way we'll see any spending cuts is when markets and math force them. There's not the will in DC simply because many of these programs are popular
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:52:57 am by LMAO »
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline DB

Our total debt is over 100% of GDP. This is the second time in our history. WW2 did it but that was war debt which could be paid down after the war. Entitlements now count for most of the federal budget and that's going to grow.

It's simply not sustainable and the only way we'll see any spending cuts is when markets and math force them. There's not the will in DC simply because many of these programs are popular

No "markets and math" stop the printing press until it is way past the point of no return. That has been illustrated over and over yet it doesn't stop them from doing it... It will be different this time we're told...

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
No "markets and math" stop the printing press until it is way past the point of no return. That has been illustrated over and over yet it doesn't stop them from doing it... It will be different this time we're told...
Meanwhile, the voters would rather live their life of decadence than deal with it, and let it be someone else's crisis. In a semi-related note, the birth rate in this country and much of the debt-laden western world is collapsing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
No one in this government will do anything about "the debt problem" because it will not be a problem until the point is reached where things can no longer continue as they have before that moment.

We are years, perhaps decades, from that moment.

Then... and ONLY then... will elected officials "do something" about it. Because at that point, they will have no other choice.

Aside:
Those in government HAVE "choices" today (and will have them until "the moment" is reached). Those choices are "let it ride, by the time it requires fixing it will have become someone ELSE'S problem"

I sense that when they DO actually "do something about it", the measures taken will be draconian and perhaps authoritarian.
But there will probably be no other "choices" available by then...