Author Topic: Feared Big One earthquake on Ring of Fire 'will leave tens of thousands dead'  (Read 605 times)

rangerrebew

Feared Big One earthquake on Ring of Fire 'will leave tens of thousands dead'

THE feared Big One earthquake will bring untold destruction to the US, leaving tens of thousands dead in its wake – scientists have warned.

By Joy Basu / Published 16th March 2018

An earthquake in Portland could cause huge damage DOGAMI
REPORT: A study has outlined the damage an earthquake would cause in the region

A massive magnitude 9.0 earthquake in the notorious Ring of Fire zone would cause chaos, panic-stricken people to flee their homes and billions of pounds of damage, a report has found.

The study covers populous regions of the US state, Oregon, which lies on the edge of the Pacific Ocean.

Lead study author John Bauer, of the Regional Disaster Preparedness Organisation, said: “No community will be unharmed.”

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/689266/oregon-earthquake-ring-of-fire-united-states-pacific-john-bauer-regional-disaster-prepared?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+daily-star-latest-news+%28Daily+Star+%3A%3A+News+Feed%29

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
So, do what the Japanese do - emergency plans, drills and go-bags.  If the people who live know it is a real possibility and will be bad if it happens, make plans and deal with it.

Offline Joe Wooten

Since it's mostly coastal California, I do not care.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Since it's mostly coastal California, I do not care.
Since Illinois is at risk for earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, blizzards and Chicago............you got a lot more to worry about than California, so right back at ya. :tongue2:

Offline Joe Wooten

Since Illinois is at risk for earthquakes, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, blizzards and Chicago............you got a lot more to worry about than California, so right back at ya. :tongue2:

Yeah, not as earthquake prone as the left coast, but the other crap is definitely a hazard of living here, along with Dhimmicrap domination of local politics.
Still the article was about the Pacific Ring of fire and Californicatia is part of it......
 :tongue2: :tongue2:

Offline GtHawk

Yeah, not as earthquake prone as the left coast, but the other crap is definitely a hazard of living here, along with Dhimmicrap domination of local politics.
Still the article was about the Pacific Ring of fire and Californicatia is part of it......
@Joe Wooten
Oh yeah it is, I just wish it would take sacrilegiousmento and all the politicians while it was in session. Instead of a natural disaster it would be a miracle.

First we would be  OMGGGGGGG but then we would be all  ***guitar man****

Offline DB

Please let me get out of CA before it does...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

1811 New Madrid was a HUGE QUAKE !!!
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GtHawk

1811 New Madrid was a HUGE QUAKE !!!
And they are overdue too!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
And they are overdue too!

"A Sequence of Three Main Shocks in 1811-1812

This sequence of three very large earthquakes is usually referred to as the New Madrid earthquakes, after the Missouri town that was the largest settlement on the Mississippi River between St. Louis, Missouri and Natchez, Mississippi. On the basis of the large area of damage (600,000 square kilometers), the widespread area of perceptibility (5,000,000 square kilometers), and the complex physiographic changes that occurred, the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811-1812 rank as some of the largest in the United States since its settlement by Europeans. They were by far the largest east of the Rocky Mountains in the U.S. and Canada. The area of strong shaking associated with these shocks is two to three times as large as that of the 1964 Alaska earthquake and 10 times as large as that of the 1906 San Francisco earthquake."

My mother described the Long beach Quake of 1933, which damaged brick buildings in Whittier.

I've experienced several, which killed people in Sylmar 1971, Northridge 1994, Whittier 1987, etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Living on the planet is dangerous.  Deal with it.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GtHawk

Living on the planet is dangerous.  Deal with it.
Well, given that we only have two choices, unless we're astronauts.