Author Topic: Top Marine wants to lighten the weight carried by grunts  (Read 391 times)

rangerrebew

Top Marine wants to lighten the weight carried by grunts
« on: March 15, 2018, 09:51:41 am »
Top Marine wants to lighten the weight carried by grunts
By: Shawn Snow   2 days ago

The top Marine is looking for ways to lighten the burden carried by grunts, while also making them more lethal by adding new tech, rockets and drones.

Some of those initiatives to lighten infantry Marines’ loads might include new methods of powering equipment, rechargeable batteries or new ammunition that doesn’t have brass casings.

“Weight is everything,” Gen. Robert B. Neller, the commandant of the Marine Corps, told reporters at a National Defense Industrial Association event in early March. But “we keep putting more stuff on them.”

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2018/03/12/top-marine-wants-to-lighten-the-weight-carried-by-grunts/

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Re: Top Marine wants to lighten the weight carried by grunts
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 02:39:59 pm »
That's true.  It's nice to be able to carry a whole bunch of extra shit when a specific need arises, but too often, we just load them down as a matter of habit.

Offline Suppressed

Re: Top Marine wants to lighten the weight carried by grunts
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 05:52:11 am »
The H&K G11 held some interesting promise in that direction. Perhaps an update could be explored.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn