Author Topic: Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Identical Twin’s After Year Spent in Space, NASA Finds  (Read 1701 times)

Offline Suppressed

Astronaut’s DNA No Longer Matches His Identical Twin’s After Year Spent in Space, NASA Finds
POSTED 1:06 PM, MARCH 14, 2018, BY CNN WIRE, UPDATED AT 02:37PM, MARCH 14, 2018
http://ktla.com/2018/03/14/astronauts-dna-no-longer-matches-his-identical-twins-after-year-spent-in-space-nasa-finds/

Spending a year in space not only changes your outlook, it transforms your genes.

Preliminary results from NASA's Twins Study reveal that 7% of astronaut Scott Kelly's genes did not return to normal after his return to Earth two years ago.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That would explain it.  One is reasonable, the other turned into a wild-eyed gun grabber.  Huh.  Note:  according to the grabbers, the grabber is the "normal" one.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:48:41 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

What? What do you mean changed?
The Republic is lost.

Online roamer_1

There were probes involved, I guarantee it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Although 93% of Scott's genetic expression returned to normal once he returned to Earth, a subset of several hundred "space genes" remained disrupted. Some of these mutations, found only after spaceflight, are thought to be caused by the stresses of space travel.

Fascinating.  Genes can change in response to environmental conditions?

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

@Freya @kevindavis
Important findings

Certainly interesting, but important?

My first question would be how this differs from twins at their age where neither have gone into space.   Needs context.

My second question would be just how and where the measurements are/were made.  For example, if the genes that were used to determine my eye color are changed in a few cells of my left bicep, so what?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Sure (though the article actually says genetic expression changed).

If you're a reader, you might want to check out Nature Via Nurture by Matt Ridley.  I also enjoyed his earlier work Genome.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Absolutely. Loose-fitting genes for work. Tight fitting for grocery shopping.

One of the "big" controversies in my little world is the difference between evolution and gene expression.  Meaning there is no such thing as "junk" DNA. Your DNA is coded to adapt--express itself. Due to environmental changes.

It is my belief those DNA changes can occur simultaneously to stress points. Meaning, "you are such a bitch--such a bastard" and/or just the opposite. Saying chemical changes in the body/brain can instantaneously/spontaneously trigger gene activation or suppression.

It isn't evolution. It is the adaptation.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Update and correction:

We Were Totally Wrong About That Scott Kelly Space Genes Story

On Monday (March 12), we published a story about astronaut Scott Kelly returning after a year in space with big changes to his genetic code, so much so that he was no longer his brother's identical twin.

It turns out we got the story wrong in a big way. In the original story, we reported that 7 percent of Kelly's genetic code had changed after his stint in space. But that enormous level of genetic change would mean Kelly went to outer space and came back a space alien: All humans share more than 99 percent of our DNA, and we share more than 98 percent of our DNA with chimpanzees, our closest living relatives.

That divergence in chimp versus human DNA comes from roughly 40 million mutations in the base-pairs, or letters, that make up the genetic code, Live Science previously reported. By contrast, in a press release from NASA, researchers reported hundreds of unique mutations in the DNA of both Scott and Mark Kelly (his identical twin brother)....

https://www.livescience.com/62044-scott-kelly-space-genes-not-changed.html

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Polly Ticks

The Earthbound one is still a loony toon gun-grabber.

Yep.  Let's send him up into space and see if he grows some smarter DNA.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yep.  Let's send him up into space and see if he grows some smarter DNA.

His wife is living proof you can blow a Democrat's brains out and she'll still talk.  They're a perfect couple.  (That's too bad, really, because for a Dem I actually liked her.  Before she became another gun-grabbing Loonie)
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Not limited to "genes," but also to other material apparently.

"Epigenetics."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Not limited to "genes," but also to other material apparently.

"Epigenetics."

True that. But... in the long run...

Every Human Being has the exact same DNA. EVERY ONE.

The only difference is in the semantics.

And I'll tell you all again. And again.

There is only ONE race, The human race. Don't you all get it it? It is easy. It doesn't really matter the color of your skin, your gender, or any "other" excuse. It is the strength of your character.

I'm not the first to tell you all this. But if there is any true justice, I will be second last.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Apparently in the last 24 hours the story has been debunked
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️