Author Topic: March Madness NCAA Basketball  (Read 3419 times)

Offline dfwgator

Re: March Madness NCAA Basketball
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2018, 02:32:12 am »
While you might like that, right now I would say Nova looks the best.

Michigan barely made it by Houston, and that was a miracle shot when Houston had a presumptive win after playing better ball.

A lot of teams have those kinds of finishes early on, then go on and win the title.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 02:44:45 am »
Michigan would have lost last night, except for some adjustments at halftime. One of the commentators with Barkley even predicted FSU to win. They did have the better in the first even though the score was like a 1 point difference.

But Loyola Chicago has been defeating all of their opponents so far by a fair number of points, at least, these last few if I am correct. One just doesn't expect the Ramblers, a little college to do it I suppose. Nova can't be that big of a college either though.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2018, 03:00:17 am »
Michigan would have lost last night, except for some adjustments at halftime. One of the commentators with Barkley even predicted FSU to win. They did have the better in the first even though the score was like a 1 point difference.

But Loyola Chicago has been defeating all of their opponents so far by a fair number of points, at least, these last few if I am correct. One just doesn't expect the Ramblers, a little college to do it I suppose. Nova can't be that big of a college either though.

Loyola won their first three tournament games by a combined 4 points.   Their win over K-State was their first blow-out.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2018, 12:21:31 am »
I like Michigan to win it all.
They just clinched the opportunity to try.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online mountaineer

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2018, 12:49:43 am »
Much as I love a Cinderella team, was glad Michigan won. I've liked Beilein since his WVU days.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2018, 03:07:34 am »
If Michigan could have gotten some 3s and here, 'Nova just made two 3s in a row... I don't know what the stats are, Wolverines could really use some 3s, Mich. just made a bit of a run... but Villanova, I almost wonder if I've ever seen such a good team in the NCAA final four... and to that, yes, of course, there have been teams as good... maybe even that didn't win it...I don't know my hoops like some but usually watch it every year, the streets are empty when the championship game is on.  Who knows, about 12 minutes left, it is not over.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2018, 03:20:28 am »
Turn out the lights, the party's over...

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2018, 04:28:23 am »
Not a real surprise.  I usually back a Big Ten team, but Villanova is extremely well-coached and their players aren't hot dogs like many current collegians.  Congrats to Villanova.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2018, 11:43:33 am »
I agree with your assessment, goatprairie. Villanova played very well at both ends of the court. My husband and I once participated in a golf outing to benefit a college athletic dept and met Jay Wright there, so we joke that our golf buddy does pretty well at basketball, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2018, 02:48:11 pm »
Who is Donte DiVincenzo? 'The Michael Jordan of Delaware,' that's who
Henry Bushnell

Donte DiVincenzo has two popular nicknames. One is “Big Ragu.” The other is “The Michael Jordan of Delaware.” And after his performance for Villanova in the national championship game on Monday night, both nicknames are as apt as ever.

The first is a reference to his red hair. The second, though, is the one DiVincenzo validated with 31 points, five rebounds, three assists and two blocks to lead Villanova to a 79-62 victory over Michigan, and to a second national title in three years. (It also earned him the NCAA tournament’s Most Outstanding Player award.)

Read more at: https://sports.yahoo.com/donte-divincenzo-michael-jordan-delaware-thats-023856366.html

Man of the tournament, Donte DiVincenzo.... note, he looks like he has practically no body fat...could be natural or he has a very lean diet and lots of exercise like a runner gets, which is what I would suspect.

Great tournament, I think interest in college hoops will pick up after this. It seems an abnormal amount of underdogs won, at least, for one side of the bracket, they did.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 02:49:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2018, 06:30:03 pm »

Man of the tournament, Donte DiVincenzo.... note, he looks like he has practically no body fat...could be natural or he has a very lean diet and lots of exercise like a runner gets, which is what I would suspect.

Great tournament, I think interest in college hoops will pick up after this. It seems an abnormal amount of underdogs won, at least, for one side of the bracket, they did.
As I'm sure you know virtually all athletes in every sport do a lot of weight training. I would think DiVincenzo did a lot of that.
I hope I don't gore anybody's ox, but there are a number of schools I hope never win a tournament again.  They're the ones that specialize in the one and doners. Time to stiffen entrance requirements as I suspect 90% of these types of athletes are not the least bit interested in getting a college degree. College is just a training ground and way to get noticed by the pros. Colleges cynically use these players.
 I don't blame the players, I blame the schools and coaches that cynically use these players.
If pro hockey and major league baseball  have systems that don't rely on colleges for their players, the NBA can do the same. I don't want to see college players getting paid. They're already getting an expensive education and publicity. If they want to get paid, they should join some pro league.