Author Topic: March Madness NCAA Basketball  (Read 3418 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
March Madness NCAA Basketball
« on: March 13, 2018, 02:54:05 pm »
We have real concerns in this country. Did you fill your bracket out yet?    :silly:

I did, though, I'm far from an expert on this. People will watch their teams, favorites, regional and so on.

If one wants, one can fill out brackets at cbssports.com, one gets 3 chances in fact.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/ncaa-tournament/brackets/games/

And at many other venues.

Some playoffs begin tonight already, playoffs to get into the 64 team tournament.   I think there are just two of those games.

My brackets have gone very sour; for me myself, picking the favorites seems to be the best policy.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:58:02 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

Re: March Madness NCAA Basketball
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 03:42:57 pm »
Sports radio was talking last night, FWIW,

5 big conferences get to decide a lot on this.

USC did not get invited but they said they are a good team, Syracuse is there but they did not deserve it said the announcers. Syracuse though, is usually good at basketball so we will see.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:59:18 am »
#16 University of Maryland-Baltimore defeated #1 seed, Virginia who went in with a 31-3 record. That is a big upset and there have been others, the Buffalo University team won.  But the UMBC as the last seed of that group defeating the #1 seed must be the biggest and they won, 74-54, 20 points, that almost defies logic.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 04:00:47 am by TomSea »

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 04:27:48 am »
I just sensed a great disturbance in March Madness...as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and thousands of bracket sheets were suddenly destroyed. I fear something terrible has happened.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 11:41:18 am »
#16 University of Maryland-Baltimore defeated #1 seed, Virginia who went in with a 31-3 record. That is a big upset and there have been others, the Buffalo University team won.  But the UMBC as the last seed of that group defeating the #1 seed must be the biggest and they won, 74-54, 20 points, that almost defies logic.

What's funny is that (University of) Maryland didn't even get an invite.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 02:15:42 pm »
Visited a Virginia blog last night after the game. Cavs fans are really stunned and down in the dumps...some are ready to commit suicide. Not quite that bad, but many of them are embarrassed. First no one seed to lose to a sixteenth seed ever.
On a side note, my team Wisconsin,  put out feelers for Bennett after Bo Ryan retired. He decided to stay at Virginia.  He's a good coach, but this loss will sting for a long time.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:42:44 am »
Worst defeat for Virginia since they lost half their state in 1863.  ^-^
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline TomSea

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 07:25:20 pm »
Virginia's coach, Tony Bennet btw, is pretty interesting,  coached or played in New Zealand and Australia among, obviously, other places.  Born in Green Bay,  @goatprairie   I'm sure knows this but I found it interesting.  I've heard interviews since on the loss, he's being "philosophical" about it, I think one would say, a learning experience.

In the meantime, I hope the underdogs can continue.

My short analysis has to be, maybe Va. just took this game lightly, you'd never want to do that really in the NCAA tournament, sure, #16 seed had never defeated the #1 seed; but there have been plenty of other upsets.

Good tournament so far,

Purdue won today, but I heard one of their main players has a fractured wrist or something and that's a big blow to them.  I see them as a dark horse team, I've watched them play in the regular season, they were pretty darn good.

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2018, 07:50:11 pm »
Virginia's coach, Tony Bennet btw, is pretty interesting,  coached or played in New Zealand and Australia among, obviously, other places.  Born in Green Bay,  @goatprairie   I'm sure knows this but I found it interesting.  I've heard interviews since on the loss, he's being "philosophical" about it, I think one would say, a learning experience.

In the meantime, I hope the underdogs can continue.

My short analysis has to be, maybe Va. just took this game lightly, you'd never want to do that really in the NCAA tournament, sure, #16 seed had never defeated the #1 seed; but there have been plenty of other upsets.

Good tournament so far,

Purdue won today, but I heard one of their main players has a fractured wrist or something and that's a big blow to them.  I see them as a dark horse team, I've watched them play in the regular season, they were pretty darn good.
Tony's father Dick coached at UW for five or six seasons and took Wisconsin to the Final Four in 1996 for the first time since 1941.
He coached high school ball in Wisconsin at Eau Claire and I remember seeing him on the bench there coaching.
Tony played hs and college ball in Green Bay.  He was one of those Steve Nash-type guards....not a lot of natural ability but very skilled and intelligent.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2018, 08:29:50 pm »
Worst defeat for Virginia since they lost half their state in 1863.  ^-^

As it turned out...that might have been a good thing after-all!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline TomSea

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 01:57:50 pm »
Kentucky goes down to K State... Florida State wins, not sure of the last time, they went this far.

Today, Clemson vs. Kansas, though the Jayhawks are nearly always a top team, Clemson walloped their last opponent.  For myself, one can hardly pick who will win any of the games, so many upsets.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2018, 11:03:05 am »
I didn’t do a bracket but I find it fascinating
I use to do brackets with my dad. I miss him so much.

Thanks for this thread. I will enjoy it lot of nice memories
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 01:40:19 pm »
This time of the year, since my team (Wisconsin) isn't in it, I find more joy in rooting against certain teams...specifically the basketball factories  who woo and catch the one and doners. 
I don't want those players coming to Wisconsin...I don't want players who don't want to be part of the program. And Wisconsin, itself, has produced a number of one and doners who are now riding the benches of NBA teams or headed for the G-League, the NBA's minor league.
College sports is screwed up anyway.  I suspect that if strict grade rules were applied, the great majority of the top recruits wouldn't be playing in college.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2018, 01:47:38 pm »
Mr. M said he saw the postgame interview with Kentucky players, and he was convinced few of them could even spell their own names. But, hey, they're one-and-dones, on their way to the NBA! Woo hoo.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2018, 10:06:48 pm »
Mr. M said he saw the postgame interview with Kentucky players, and he was convinced few of them could even spell their own names. But, hey, they're one-and-dones, on their way to the NBA! Woo hoo.
I'm not against people turning pro when they get out of high school. Obviously, most of these athletes do not belong in a four year college. 
They want to be pro players, and more power to them if that is their life's dream.
The problem comes with fans who want their school to be a big time power.  Obviously, most of them don't care one whit whether the players attending their institutes of higher learning are actually learning anything. They want a winner...even if it means wooing and taking in athletes who are spectacularly unqualified to attend college.
The best thing to do for everyone concerned is (1) to tighten entrance requirements and (2) to force the NBA to enlarge the money for the G-league. Pay the G-league players more.
The idea that players have to play college ball to become pros is bogus...there are plenty of stars and ex-stars like Lebron James, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Tracy McGrady, and some others to show college ball is not an mpediment to becoming a good pro player. 
Stop the college farce now.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 10:09:49 pm »

Guns Up!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:11:47 pm by dfwgator »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 01:37:57 am »

Guns Up!
Almost a home game at the Final 4 if they can get by Nova.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2018, 01:39:56 am »
That Loyola team is fun to watch.

And that guy Richardson with his 3 pointers almost guarantees a win.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 02:26:21 am »
Almost a home game at the Final 4 if they can get by Nova.

Especially with today's nonsense,   you have to root for a school that has that as their motto.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 03:12:58 am »
That Loyola team is fun to watch.

And that guy Richardson with his 3 pointers almost guarantees a win.

WOLVERINES!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2018, 01:19:30 am »
Tech, Florida State, they played very well.

On Michigan, that Mo Wagner fellow couldn't hit a 3 hardly, they said the other night he was 8 of 11. That was a bit worrying for the Wolverines...

I'll probably hope Loyola-Chicago can win it all, as they did in 1964.

But Villanova really really looked awesome, Tech had a very good team and it got tight down the stretch. That's really to TT's credit.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2018, 01:23:54 am »
I like Michigan to win it all.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 02:00:47 am »
Kansas in Omaha should have helped them too, quasi-home-game.

I didn't watch a lot of the games, Mich won the big 10 tournament.  That's a plus.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 02:21:57 am by TomSea »

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 02:04:43 am »
I like Michigan to win it all.
While you might like that, right now I would say Nova looks the best.

Michigan barely made it by Houston, and that was a miracle shot when Houston had a presumptive win after playing better ball.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2018, 02:15:50 am »
Nova and Kansas ought to be a real barn burner. Go Loyola.
The Republic is lost.