Author Topic: From murder capital to retiree haven, how Medellin has outgrown 'Narcos'  (Read 307 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
From murder capital to retiree haven, how Medellin has outgrown 'Narcos'
Miami Herald Jim Wyss 6 days ago

MEDELLIN, Colombia - As she sipped a cappuccino in a buzzing cafe on a tree-lined street in Medellin, Cindy Crawford Thomas said that escaping South Florida to retire in what was once the world's most notorious city seemed like a no-brainer.

"Deciding to leave Florida was easy," said the former Coral Springs high school teacher. "It was too hectic. ... You seldom knew your neighbors. It was all these people but no community."

In Medellin - once the home of Pablo Escobar and the world's bloodiest drug cartel - Thomas and her husband, David, say they've found a friendly, cosmopolitan city where rent is cheap, the weather is fine and the healthcare puts the U.S. to shame.

Read more at: https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/msn/from-murder-capital-to-retiree-haven-how-medellin-has-outgrown-narcos/ar-BBJUfN7

Things have changed in Colombia, a simplistic explanation would be it has moved to Mexico but I think it is probably the result of a number of factors.  "Healthcare"? I don't know about that but I do know of a medical worker who did sell some products there and in other places in the world.