Author Topic: Good news: Just 40% of Americans are at risk of going broke in retirement  (Read 1065 times)

Offline endicom

Market Watch
Angela Moore
Mar. 11, 2018

That’s actually better than last year

When it comes to retirement and money, we usually hear mostly bad news. But a recent survey on retirement saving trends serves up a bit of good news.

The number of people who expect to retire “broke”, meaning they have less than $10,000 saved for retirement fell to 42% from 55% last year, according to a survey by GoBankingRates. This also means that more than half of Americans have more than $10,000 saved for retirement. Now, knowing that estimates for out-of-pocket health care in costs in retirement are around $275,000 and climbing, having $10,000 saved up isn’t exactly comforting, but assuming the savers have awhile to go before retirement, it’s a start. (Look, we said it was good news, not great news.)

More... https://www.marketwatch.com/story/now-the-bad-news-and-slightly-less-horrible-news-about-saving-for-retirement-2018-03-07

Offline Suppressed

A lot of people don't plan properly for retirement.  They eat healthy food and exercise, raising the risk that they'll outlive their savings.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A lot of people don't plan properly for retirement.  They eat healthy food and exercise, raising the risk that they'll outlive their savings.
Wow, that's saying you are killing yourself by staying healthy.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Applewood

So maybe they should get fat, smoke, drink too much and become couch potatoes, so they can croak before retirement. 

Sounds like sound retirement plannng to me. 

Just kidding. 

Offline thackney

Wow, that's saying you are killing yourself by staying healthy.

Not killing yourself, killing your savings dollars.

My father-in-law is approaching this with his required 24/7 care and 92 years.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

Not killing yourself, killing your savings dollars.

My father-in-law is approaching this with his required 24/7 care and 92 years.

Are you really living with 24/7 care at 92?

Offline thackney

Are you really living with 24/7 care at 92?

He has no life, but doesn't want to leave his home.  He cannot stand on his own.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

It really is selfish of them. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think there's something wrong about thinking retiring with $10K in the bank is "good news."  I'm not happy looking at retirement with 60x that.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Suppressed

It really is selfish of them.

Seriously!

And if they're Christian, it's like thumbing their nose at God, saying, "I'm not in any rush to be right there with You in the place You've prepared!"

The nerve...
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn