Author Topic: New Jersey Prepares To Raise Taxes On "Almost Everything" As It Nears Financial Disaster  (Read 1741 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-03-13/new-jersey-prepares-raise-taxes-almost-everything-it-nears-financial-disaster

Last week we noted that in what was a radical U-turn to what other public pension funds have been doing in recent years - most notably Calpers  - the struggling New Jersey public pension system decided that instead of lowering its expected rate of return, it would raise it, from 7% to 7.5%.

The simple reason behind this odd increase in projected returns was an accounting sleight of hand which would allow the state of New Jersey to save some $238 million in pension contributions as a result of the higher discount rate applied to the fund's liabilities. And with a pension funding level of only 37% for the 2015 fiscal year, the worst of any state in the US, New Jersey would gladly take even the most glaring accounting gimmickry that would delay its inevitable death.

Unfortunately, being the not so proud owner of the most distressed and underfunded public pension fund in the US is just the start of New Jersey's monetary woes, and as Bloomberg reports, New Jersey's fiscal situation is so dire that new Governor Phil Murphy has proposed taxing online-room booking, ride-sharing, marijuana, e-cigarettes and Internet transactions along with raising taxes on millionaires and retail sales to fund a record $37.4 billion budget that would boost spending on schools, pensions and mass transit.

The proposal which is 4.2% higher than the current fiscal year’s, relies on a tax for the wealthiest that is so unpopular it not only has yet to be approved, but also lacks support from key Democrats in the legislature, let alone Republicans. It also reverses pledges from Murphy’s predecessor, Republican Chris Christie, to lower taxes in a state where living costs are already among the nation’s highest.

Offline Frank Cannon

Any Jersey dopes reading this article and thinking of pulling stakes, please do not escape over the Delaware to PA. We don't want you. Please just go straight to Florida. They will welcome you with open arms. They love transplants. Eastern PA does not. We shoot at cars with front license plates for fun.

@RoosGirl
@Wingnut

Offline Mod1

Moved to NY/NJ

Offline Frank Cannon

Moved to NY/NJ

Nice going. No one moves to New York or New Jersey? People move the hell out of there.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Looks like another state is running out of other people's money, and the IOUs they promised to the next several generations it looks like.

But hey - let's spend more by running up the credit cards in deficit spending!  It solves everything!
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Any Jersey dopes reading this article and thinking of pulling stakes, please do not escape over the Delaware to PA. We don't want you. Please just go straight to Florida. They will welcome you with open arms. They love transplants. Eastern PA does not. We shoot at cars with front license plates for fun.

@RoosGirl
@Wingnut

@Frank Cannon

The he'll we do
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl
@Wingnut

I've never been to PA, but I've always suspected there must be something foul there to make those damn yankees keep heading south and now I find out it was you all along.  Thanks a lot @Frank Cannon

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Well, if any members are visiting NJ holler. I'll buy you lunch at a diner.

Even you Frank.

(No surf and turf- I'm on a fixed income)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:04:31 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline MajorClay

And we in the rest of the country are not going to help you out.  You made the bad decisions.