Author Topic: I Never Liked Yoga. Then, I Did It for 30 Days Straight  (Read 520 times)

rangerrebew

I Never Liked Yoga. Then, I Did It for 30 Days Straight
« on: March 11, 2018, 02:03:29 pm »

I Never Liked Yoga. Then, I Did It for 30 Days Straight
'I started to realize that yoga was so much more than just a workout.'

By Alissa Rumsey, Contributor |Feb. 27, 2018, at 10:11 a.m.

I've always hated yoga. When I was in my early 20s, it didn't seem like a "real" workout to me, so I rarely did it. When I moved to New York City for my first job, everyone seemed to be doing yoga, so I gave it another try, but always felt like an imposter. I couldn't touch my toes, and stepping forward into a lunge would take me at least three steps, plus the assistance of my hands. And don't even think about getting me to jump back into chaturanga.

https://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/articles/2018-02-27/i-never-liked-yoga-then-i-did-it-for-30-days-straight

Offline Axeslinger

Re: I Never Liked Yoga. Then, I Did It for 30 Days Straight
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 02:11:28 pm »
I hate it because it bores the sh!t out of me
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 02:17:36 pm »

Great contribution to the discussion.

Offline Axeslinger

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 02:24:14 pm »
Great contribution to the discussion.

Um Tom...at least my comment spoke to the subject at hand.  Tell me please...Yours did what again?  Or is the irony lost upon you?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 02:25:22 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline bolobaby

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 04:01:12 pm »
Good Lord. Yoga is a cult. That's coming from someone who actually incorporates a *reasonable* amount of yoga into my exercise routine.

First off - YOGA IS NOT GOOD EXERCISE!

"Yeah, but, bolobaby, I sweat so much when doing it!!!"

So? I sweat when taking a huge dump sometimes. Does that mean I'm getting "good exercise?" Hell no. Yoga is a stretching routine. There is a bit of muscle endurance incorporated into some of the poses, but it is not enough to get you "fit." If you want to get really fit, you have to do ACTUAL exercise. Yoga (or any stretching routine) allows you to do it with less injury, pain, and more athletically.

The people who do Yoga every day are BAD fitness "experts." You do NOT need that level of stretching on a daily basis. If you want a balanced fitness routine, you incorporate ALL fitness components over the course of a week:

Muscle Strength
Muscle Endurance
Cardiovascular Endurance
Body Composition (that means managing your fat and building muscle)
and Flexibility

I would add that "explosive interval training" should be translated into a sixth component of fitness which would be "Athleticism," but that's not in any manual anywhere, just something I believe.
How to lose credibility while posting:
1. Trump is never wrong.
2. Default to the most puerile emoticon you can find. This is especially useful when you can't win an argument on merits.
3. Be falsely ingratiating, completely but politely dismissive without talking to the points, and bring up Hillary whenever the conversation is really about conservatism.
4. When all else fails, remember rule #1 and #2. Emoticons are like the poor man's tweet!

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 06:05:13 pm »
And then I met yoga pants...

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 01:37:46 am »

James Spader taught a yoga class when he was starting out in NYC.  Never mind that he knew nothing about yoga.  He'd basically just set a pose and sit there... and sit there....  Sometimes he'd fall asleep.  I guess when you look like young James Spader, you can get away with a lot ;).

I agree, @bolobaby, it's great for stretching and just zoning out.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.