Author Topic: Tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea  (Read 386 times)

rangerrebew

Tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea
« on: March 10, 2018, 03:26:50 pm »

Tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea
March 9, 2018 by From Mayo Clinic News Network, Mayo Clinic News Network

Millions of people traveling internationally experience traveler's diarrhea every year. And, during spring break, that number is especially high for Americans, who may have symptoms ranging from mild to severe, as they travel to countries with warmer climates. But there are some steps you can take to ensure that your trip isn't interrupted by unpleasant bathroom breaks.

To avoid flushing your international vacation down the drain; watch out for the water.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-03-diarrhea.html

Offline Victoria33

Re: Tips to avoid traveler's diarrhea
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 03:46:25 pm »
@rangerrebew

Here is a miserable story:
I was in Mexico and know about the water, and drank bottled water but that didn't help.  I went to the mountains where silver is made, on a sight-seeing bus.  While in that town, a sand storm that happens every day along with rain happened.  I had sand in my hair and all over me.  On the way back to hotel I was getting sick, knew diarrhea was going to happen.  Then, the bus broke down.  Had to wait for another bus to come get us.

I was really sick by the time I got back to hotel.  I didn't know whether to get in shower to get the sand off me and out of my hair, or sit on the potty.  I got in the shower to quickly get clean, and the diarrhea happened while in the shower.  Yes, that is a terrible visual you just had. When I was clean and the diarrhea was over, I took Pepto-Bismal, as I had that with me, and got in bed miserably sick.  Others with us were sick and we gave them the Pepto-Bismal bottle.

Have been to Mexico several times, and got sick each time while doing my best to not get sick, but that time was the worst.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 03:59:50 pm »
@Victoria33

Maybe you should stay out of Mexico.  :)

Seriously, I decided long time ago I won't go anywhere near Mexico.  I won't even buy produce from Mexico.  Too many stories of people getting sick from their produce. Chi-Chi's Restaurants went broke when people got sick from lettuce imported from Mexico and the restaurant chain was sued.   

And that's on top of the violent crime rampant in that country.  My brother and SIL and a number of other family members and friends are regular vacationers in Mexico.  But they have to stay in and around the resort.  Venturing away from the resorts could get you killed.    When I go on vacation, I want to explore the area. Can't do that on your own in Mexico. 

If I want to be near or on a beach, there are plenty of good ones here in the US.  I don't need to go to a third world country.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 04:18:51 pm »
@Victoria33
Maybe you should stay out of Mexico.  :)
Seriously, I decided long time ago I won't go anywhere near Mexico.  I won't even buy produce from Mexico.  Too many stories of people getting sick from their produce. Chi-Chi's Restaurants went broke when people got sick from lettuce imported from Mexico and the restaurant chain was sued.    And that's on top of the violent crime rampant in that country. 
@Applewood

I haven't been there in years and would not go back due to getting sick and the violence in that country.  Visitors and their money are targets for capture by Mexican criminals and their drug cartels.  I am like you, don't buy any food coming out of there.  I remember some time back about tomatoes making people here sick and traced them coming from Mexico.

I don't eat salad in restaurants anymore after I read the greens aren't washed well.  Here is another fact: restaurants tend not to wash lemons or limes - they are the biggest carrier of bacteria in restaurants.  I take off lemons/limes if they are clipped on my glass.  I never mash their liquid into my drink.

We have stopped going to certain restaurants around our area that we have noticed have lax rules about cleanliness in the restaurant.  I-Hop restaurants around here are one we don't go to anymore.