Author Topic: White, brown, raw, honey: which type of sugar is best?  (Read 691 times)

rangerrebew

White, brown, raw, honey: which type of sugar is best?
« on: March 07, 2018, 02:02:46 pm »
White, brown, raw, honey: which type of sugar is best?
The Conversation
By Sze-Yen Tan

Updated about 9 hours ago

In nutrition, sugar refers to simple carbohydrates consisting of one or two basic carbohydrate units such as glucose, fructose and galactose. Consumers often use "sugar" to describe simple carbohydrates that taste sweet, but not all sugars are sweet.

There are many different types of sugars we add to our baking or hot drinks such as white sugar, brown sugar, raw sugar and honey. But when we're looking at a packaged product the ingredients list will have many more options still. Corn syrup, palm sugar, molasses, maple syrup and agave nectar are but a few.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-03-07/white-brown-raw-honey-which-type-of-sugar-is-best/9522712
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:03:19 pm by rangerrebew »

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: White, brown, raw, honey: which type of sugar is best?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 02:10:45 pm »
The best sweetener for me is Equal, unless I am cooking. When I am cooking the sweetener varies based on what flavor profile I am trying to achieve. To me, the best sweetener is based on how the flavor combines with what I am cooking, nothing more than that.

I cook a bodacious Honey Cake and the only sweetener in it is, of course, honey, milk, a couple of drops of vanilla extract.

Here is a good link to a Honey Cake recipe which is similar to the one I make. Obviously the nuts are optional.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/honey-cake-recipe

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:13:42 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 03:51:33 pm »
The best sweetener for me is Equal, unless I am cooking. When I am cooking the sweetener varies based on what flavor profile I am trying to achieve. To me, the best sweetener is based on how the flavor combines with what I am cooking, nothing more than that.

I cook a bodacious Honey Cake and the only sweetener in it is, of course, honey, milk, a couple of drops of vanilla extract.

Here is a good link to a Honey Cake recipe which is similar to the one I make. Obviously the nuts are optional.

That looks great, I'll have to try it.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 07:07:22 pm »
When it comes to honey, the healthiest one, until the next one, is supposed to be Manuka Honey from New Zealand.

https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/manuka-honey-medicinal-uses#1

Offline the_doc

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:02 pm »
When it comes to honey, the healthiest one, until the next one, is supposed to be Manuka Honey from New Zealand.

You're correct.  It's apparently the real deal.

Online roamer_1

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 07:46:23 pm »

Equal is aspartame.   Your body converts it to formaldehyde.   The formaldehyde is not bound to other compounds and is a carcinogen in this form.  Not just a California carcinogen but one that actually causes cancer.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 07:51:06 pm »

Yes I suppose, but the appeal of honey is it's consolidation of local medicinals in a concentrated form. The land you are standing on has the medicine necessary... That may not be as true anymore, with globe-trotting travelers draggin things home... but it is still true. Local honey is the best, wherever you are.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 09:22:24 pm »

Equal is aspartame.   Your body converts it to formaldehyde.   The formaldehyde is not bound to other compounds and is a carcinogen in this form.  Not just a California carcinogen but one that actually causes cancer.

@driftdiver

American Cancer Society website

Most studies in people have not found that aspartame use is linked to an increased risk of cancer.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline ConstitutionRose

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 10:24:10 pm »

This looks like a wonderful week day cake.  I keep sliced almonds in the garage frig.  It doesn't say, are the almonds roasted first?
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 12:04:11 am »
This looks like a wonderful week day cake.  I keep sliced almonds in the garage frig.  It doesn't say, are the almonds roasted first?
@ConstitutionRose

Have you ever eaten a green almond. *yuck*
Yes, they are likely roasted with no salt. But as always, in cooking it is always your choice to do as you please.

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 12:15:05 am »

I keep a jar in the cupboard for medicinal purposes. It’s great for sore/scratchy throats, mild cough, and healing salve for scrapes/cuts/burns.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 01:17:12 am »
@driftdiver

American Cancer Society website

Most studies in people have not found that aspartame use is linked to an increased risk of cancer.

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html

@240B

There are also numerous scientific study which say it's a carcinogen.   Studies which are not funded by diet soda makers.

Many different foods naturally break down into formaldehyde after consumption.  The difference is in those cases the compound is tied to other chemical compounds in the food and passes through our body.

Nutrasweet breaks down and the formaldehyde is not attached to other compounds.  Allowing it to be absorbed into our bodies.

There are other studies which indicate it causes nerve damage at certain concentrations.   

I know I feel better when I don't consume it.   I've decreased the amount of sweeteners significantly.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 01:41:43 am »
Raw honey is best. After that, I'd go with palm sugar, then sucanat.
The Republic is lost.

Offline driftdiver

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 01:44:47 am »
@RoosGirl is really sweet and all natural.  If you don't agree she'll cut ya

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 03:36:19 am »
@RoosGirl is really sweet and all natural.  If you don't agree she'll cut ya

@driftdiver You silly.  When have I ever given you the idea that I care if anyone agrees with me?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 04:12:05 am »
Brown sugar is the best. Got a problem with that? You're a racist Klansman......