Author Topic: Why is Lego not clicking with customers?  (Read 806 times)

Offline Suppressed

Why is Lego not clicking with customers?
« on: March 06, 2018, 05:35:09 pm »
Why is Lego not clicking with customers?
By Tom Espiner Business reporter, BBC News
11 min ago
http://www.bbc.com/news/business-43300087

Lego's latest set of annual numbers showed its first drop-off in profits and revenues for 13 years this week.

After the Danish toy-maker turned itself around more than a decade ago, last year it failed to click with customers.

It said it had produced too many bricks, and had to sell off excess stock at a discount.

How can Lego have too many bricks? Isn't it just that it didn't manage to sell the sets it had produced?

In a way, yes. Every year it forecasts how much Lego it thinks it will need to manage its production, and last year its forecast wasn't on the money.

Though to be fair, for the previous 13 years it has consistently underestimated how much it would need to produce, and hasn't made enough stock, says Frederique Tutt, global toy industry analyst at the NPD Group.

[...]

Has Lego lost its imagination? Are the pieces getting too specific?

It's a bit harsh to say Lego has lost its imagination, says Ms Tutt. The toy industry like every other is cyclical, and after 13 years it's "fair enough to say it can have a rest", she says.

As for the pieces being too specific, she says today's children "like to be taken by the hand" rather than being given a set of generic blocks, and that themed sets have been "a driver of success" for Lego.

However, in 2017 there "was a bit too much of Star Wars, not just in Lego, but everywhere", she says. After three years of successive marketing the market was slightly saturated, she says.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Why is Lego not clicking with customers?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 05:37:53 pm »
And while we are bitching about archaic stuff, why are sales of Ball in a Cup and Hoop and Stick so terrible too?

Offline goodwithagun

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 06:06:36 pm »
Because they're outrageously expensive and hurt like hell when you step on them!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 06:15:55 pm »
she says today's children "like to be taken by the hand" rather than being given a set of generic blocks,

Back in my day....Grandpappy told my pappy, back in my day, son
A man had to answer for the wicked that he done
Take all the rope in Texas find a tall oak tree,

Or go get this

and do this. 

We are doomed as a species. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 06:19:15 pm »
Because they're outrageously expensive and hurt like hell when you step on them!

... in the middle of the night!

There are two things that will never again be in my house.
The first is coffee tables.
The second is Legos.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 08:43:51 pm »
They are ridiculously expensive? My nephew loved the legos when he was younger. Buying him sets that were both interesting and affordable were near impossible and that was 5 - 10 years ago.
The Republic is lost.