Author Topic: The Alamo Fell To The Mexicans And Santa Anna On This Day 182 Years Ago  (Read 978 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
The Alamo Fell To The Mexicans And Santa Anna On This Day 182 Years Ago

David Hookstead
Reporter

Today is the 182 year anniversary of the Alamo in Texas falling to Santa Anna and the Mexican military.

A ragtag group of rebels, which included Davey Crockett, James Bowie and William Travis, engaged in a long siege with the Mexican military. The brave patriots only had about 200 men, and were facing down thousands of Santa Anna’s men.

It ended when the famous fort finally fell on March 6, 1836, and the Americans were defeated. The fall of the Alamo inspired the great state of Texas in its push for independence, and the legend was born. It’s even said that Davey Crockett’s body was found with 16 dead Mexican soldiers around him, and his knife shoved into one of the enemy. Soon afterwards, Sam Houston and 800 men would avenge the fallen at the Alamo and soundly defeat Santa Anna.

more
http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/06/alamo-182-year-anniversary/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline skeeter

The fate of the garrison at Goliad three weeks later shows what would've happened to the Alamo defenders had they surrendered.

Offline the_doc

The fate of the garrison at Goliad three weeks later shows what would've happened to the Alamo defenders had they surrendered.
I believe the Defenders of the Alamo knew their fate when the Mexican Army played the Deguello, signaling No Quarter.

I've heard that the only reason why the Texans were willing to surrender at Goliad is the fact that they were specifically promised that they would not be summarily executed.  The story goes that Santa Anna himself overruled the terms of surrender after the fact and ordered the execution of all the prisoners.

Can anyone else on TBR corroborate this story?

I've also heard that Crockett was actually the last man standing and that he was taken alive and tortured to death.

Offline thackney

I've heard that the only reason why the Texans were willing to surrender at Goliad is the fact that they were specifically promised that they would not be summarily executed.  The story goes that Santa Anna himself overruled the terms of surrender after the fact and ordered the execution of all the prisoners.

Mostly true, Santa Anna wasn't give full info of the terms of surrender, but I would guess it would not have made a difference.

GOLIAD MASSACRE
https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qeg02
Life is fragile, handle with prayer