Author Topic: Seasonal patterns of depressive symptoms more common in women than men  (Read 301 times)

rangerrebew

Seasonal patterns of depressive symptoms more common in women than men
January 8, 2018, University of Glasgow

Women, but not men, experience seasonal changes in their mood across the year, including more depressive symptoms in winter, a new study from the University of Glasgow has found. These changes appear to be independent of social and lifestyle factors, such as smoking, alcohol use and physical activity.

The research, from the University's Institute of Health and Wellbeing and published in the Journal of Affective Disorders, showed low mood, tiredness and anhedonia (the inability to experience pleasure from activities usually found enjoyable) peaked in the winter months in women. A relationship between shorter days and greater depressive symptoms in women was also found, but this may have been explained by variation in outdoor temperatures.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-01-seasonal-patterns-depressive-symptoms-common.html

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Leave the house and focus on helping other people. Much of what people call "depression" is actually self-centeredness. These are the people that you know have depression because they advertise it on social media. They constantly have a reason to throw a Pity party. 
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Applewood

@Restored

I get down in the dumps when winter is especially harsh.  I'm not allowed out in very cold temperatures for more than a minute (n doctor's orders).  Much of the time if I'm just getting into and out of a car, that restriction is no problem, but I don't drive and it's not always easy to get a ride somewhere.  So I stay home.  We had a rather bad December and January around these parts, so I was cooped up for a couple of months.  That is what makes me depressed. 

The other problem is lack of sunlight.  In this region it is not unusual to go for months without seeing the sun.  We just had a stretch of 3-4 days of sun, so even though it has been cold,  the depressed feelings eased somewhat.  Today it's cloudy again and all I feel like doing is staying in bed. 

A really good treatment for me is heading to Florida for a week every January.  No depression when I'm near a beach.  LOL