Author Topic: Space Tesla May Contaminate Mars: Here's How NASA Protects Other Planets From Earth Bacteria  (Read 596 times)

rangerrebew

Space Tesla May Contaminate Mars: Here's How NASA Protects Other Planets From Earth Bacteria
4 March 2018, 6:54 am EST By Maui Hermitanio Tech Times

Scientists believe that the Tesla Roadster now floating in deep space was not sterilized. In this case, Elon Musk's car could contaminate Mars with bacteria it brought from Earth.

The red convertible that was launched into space from SpaceX Falcon Heavy, was not intended to land on Mars, so it was not covered by the regulations of NASA's Planetary Protection Offic

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/222274/20180304/space-tesla-may-contaminate-mars-heres-how-nasa-protects-other-planets-from-earth-bacteria.htm

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The red convertible that was launched into space from SpaceX Falcon Heavy, was not intended to land on Mars, so it was not covered by the regulations of NASA's Planetary Protection Office.

If it's not going to end up on Mars, who cares about contamination?  Last I heard it's going to end up in a solar orbit among the asteroids in the belt between Mars and Jupiter.  Probably isn't coming within a few million miles of Mars.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If it's not going to end up on Mars, who cares about contamination?  Last I heard it's going to end up in a solar orbit among the asteroids in the belt between Mars and Jupiter.  Probably isn't coming within a few million miles of Mars.

That thing is Space junk on earth and floating around in the universe.

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That thing is Space junk on earth and floating around in the universe.

I wonder what's the speed of the solar orbit out there.  Lemme check Goggle....

OK.  Goggle says about 25km per second...unless, I suppose, it someday collides with an asteroid.  I suppose the Astrologers of the world will have a collective hiccup then.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

@Cyber Liberty

It wasn't supposed to but apparently they missed their target and it might hit mars.   
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline dfwgator

Earth First!

We'll contaminate the other planets later.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

It wasn't supposed to but apparently they missed their target and it might hit mars.   

I saw a month-old article in Atlantic.  Apparently it's in an eccentric orbit that carries it across Mars' orbit twice each pass.

According to the revised data, Rivkin says, it will take the Tesla about 18.8 months to complete one trip around the sun. This means that the car will reach its farthest distance from Earth in about half that time. The Tesla will cross the orbit of Mars twice per orbit, so Musk is still fulfilling his wish to send his Tesla “to” Mars—it’ll just take a little longer between visits.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/02/tesla-elon-musk-mars-spacex-asteroid-belt/552719/
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 09:20:24 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
There is only one reasonable answer