Author Topic: Living by the Book? (New CBS sitcom "Living Biblically")  (Read 783 times)

Offline mountaineer

Living by the Book? (New CBS sitcom "Living Biblically")
« on: March 05, 2018, 02:55:12 pm »
Living by the Book?
New comedy show Living Biblically explores one man’s misguided attempt at piety
by Megan Basham
What happens when you try to follow the Bible without a real relationship with Jesus Christ? That’s the premise behind the new CBS sitcom Living Biblically, though its writers and producers may not realize it.

The show, which premiered on Feb. 26, follows film critic and all-around average guy Chip Curry (Jay R. Ferguson), whose unexamined life is disrupted first by the death of his best friend and then by the discovery that his wife is pregnant. These events inspire him to want to be a better man, and so, hearkening back to the Catholic faith of his childhood, he decides to study the Bible and follow, as he sees it, the “rules” for better living.  ...

The main question is whether Chip will eventually progress into a deeper understanding of the Scripture he is studying. Specifically, will he eventually come to realize the fatal error in his efforts to live Biblically—that it’s impossible for anyone to keep the Bible’s perfect standard, which is why we all need a perfect sacrifice to keep the standard for us? 

Given the open-minded, constructive start the show has already made, it’s not unreasonable to hope it could continue onto some firmer (and hopefully a little funnier) ground.
Full article at World Magazine
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Living by the Book? (New CBS sitcom "Living Biblically")
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2018, 03:02:00 pm »
CBS?  Weird.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2018, 03:21:53 pm »
Apparently, the first few episodes are fairly benign, according to this writer. If the show catches on, I suspect CBS will do the sort of thing we've come to expect, and go all out on bashing Christians and their values.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 03:27:06 pm »
I've been getting into
"Touched By An Angel" again on METV.  I don't think the alphabets would ever green light a show like that today. Any religiosity type show would have to be ridiculed and be filled with buffoonery..
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 03:27:26 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 04:00:27 pm »
CBS?

Ever since Norman Lear got a foothold of the psyche of this network in the early '70's, it has been on a one way mission to destroy traditional American values.   I expect nothing less from this venture.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 07:36:34 pm »
Comment from the Archdiocese of Baltimore (EXCERPTED):
...   Walsh, who was raised Catholic himself, said the production has a real-life priest and a real-life rabbi who read scripts and advise on whether a priest or a rabbi would actually speak and respond the way they are depicted. This helps keep the production staff accountable. Some of the live audiences have included church groups, as well as the priest and rabbi advisers, and they have responded well to the show.

“We were never mocking religion. We were never mocking those who are religious,” Walsh said.

“I think if you stick with the show, I can’t imagine anybody feeling it was flippant as a whole,” he said.

Clearly, the show is not a catechism, but it does have the opportunity to teach a little bit about faith and the Bible. Some folks might object to making light of religion, but God must have a sense of humor, or why would he have given humans one?   ...
LINK

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 07:49:38 pm »
Check out "alternative media" YouTube series by Jordan B. Peterson

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL_f53ZEJxp8TtlOkHwMV9Q

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 07:50:28 pm »
that it’s impossible for anyone to keep the Bible’s perfect standard, which is why we all need a perfect sacrifice to keep the standard for us?

No, That ain't what it says.