Author Topic: Texas man killed after 'device' explodes on front porch of Austin home  (Read 6942 times)

Offline Victoria33

Re: Texas man killed after 'device' explodes on front porch of Austin home
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2018, 06:12:04 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/12/austin-package-explosion-leaves-teen-dead-woman-hurt-after-second-blast-in-2-weeks.html
@musiclady

There has been another one in the past minutes - that is three bombs.  Two more people are in hospital after this third bomb.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2018, 06:14:08 pm »
@musiclady

There has been another one in the past minutes - that is three bombs.  Two more people are in hospital after this third bomb.

Yes.  The title of the article I linked says three.  The link says only two, but the article is current.

This is a very, very troubling development....
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 08:08:24 pm »
@musiclady

Third bomb was 70 or 75 yr. old Spanish woman, in hospital, wounds are life threatening.  This info. from police news conference. Governor Abbott offering $15,000 for identification of bomber.
Officer says don't open packages if you didn't order anything; call cops.  Bomb dogs being bought into Austin to help with packages.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 08:10:00 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 09:00:29 pm »
 **present

Do Not Open.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline musiclady

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 09:08:03 pm »
@musiclady

Third bomb was 70 or 75 yr. old Spanish woman, in hospital, wounds are life threatening.  This info. from police news conference. Governor Abbott offering $15,000 for identification of bomber.
Officer says don't open packages if you didn't order anything; call cops.  Bomb dogs being bought into Austin to help with packages.

Can you imagine how many legitimate packages will be left on doorsteps with people terrified to open them?

This is the very essence of terrorism.

Prayers for the wounded and families.......... 
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 02:25:42 am »
@240B
@TomSea
@mystery-ak 

I read the article and both families are black.  Right now, it's being considered a hate crime against blacks.

Bomb at my house story:
My husband was going out of town on business, and went to our mail box outside our house to put in letters.  He came back in house and said there is a bomb in our mailbox.  He knew what balck powder looked like and saw it along with a package in the box at front of box rather than being in the back part of box.

We called police; husband had to leave to catch plane before they got there, so I was by myself.
Police came and would not touch mailbox.  They called postal inspector.  They came in a truck and had on special suits.  A device got the box out of mail box and dumped it into a big vat of water on back of truck.

I got a call from postal inspector who asked me if we had any enemy who might do that.  I thought for a minute and said our son made a film of the KKK and it was shown on Houston PBS channel last night and calls came into PBS saying stop the film or Houston would burn.  There was silence on other end of phone.  Then, inspector asked if the KKK may have done this.  I said I would call son and ask him.

Called son.  Son had been with Grand Dragon of KKK and traveled with them and made that film.  I asked him if KKK would have done this.  He said he hadn't talked to Grand Dragon since the film was shown and would call him.  He called Dragon and Dragon said the film was wonderful and did I want the KKK to come surround my house to keep me safe from whoever did this.  I told him since husband was gone, I would go across town and stay with friends that night so I wouldn't be alone.  I did not want KKK surrounding my house - they would likely have killed anyone coming around the house - didn't want that possibility.

Postal inspector got back to me and said it was a black powder bomb, not a more poweful bomb, like plastique.  I did stay with friends that night.  There were no bombs after that one and no one was found who did it.

That is an amazing story!  I'm really glad you all weren't hurt.  I'd love to watch your son's film -- could you tell me the title?  Thanks!
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 02:28:09 am »
@240B

I agree with you on all points you made.  What was the first man's background?  What could a 17 yr. old kid and his 40 something mother have done to cause them to be a target?

Bob and I discussed this, this morning. I get what I want/need from Amazon because I have a bad knee and can't walk big stores.  If someone put a bomb in an Amazon box outside my door, I would likely pick it up before this, but now I would ask myself if I have anything coming from them.  I don't think I would pick up just any box outside the house.  Bob said he has ordered some knives from Ebay, so that package is coming.  I didn't know that.

Bad people have a way of getting into our lives and we have to adjust once again to avoid them.  Would you now pick up a box outside your door?

Re. Amazon packages: I definitely always look at the "tape" on their boxes, which says "Amazon" on it.  It seems like it would be hard to fake.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 02:30:30 am »
I'd love to watch your son's film -- could you tell me the title?  Thanks!

I'm sure it not available. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 03:00:42 am »
Re. Amazon packages: I definitely always look at the "tape" on their boxes, which says "Amazon" on it.  It seems like it would be hard to fake.
@LauraTXNM

Son made that film years ago when a senior at Rice University, Houston, Texas.

Amazon boxes - the bad guys would use a real Amazon box that had been mailed to them or someone else.  This past Christmas, we went to a friend's house and we opened gifts. Many of the gifts were in Amazon boxes but the gift did not come from Amazon.  The two gifts we took were also in Amazon boxes we had at the house - the gifts did not originally come in them.

Offline LauraTXNM

« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 03:09:25 am »
@LauraTXNM

Son made that film years ago when a senior at Rice University, Houston, Texas.

Amazon boxes - the bad guys would use a real Amazon box that had been mailed to them or someone else.  This past Christmas, we went to a friend's house and we opened gifts. Many of the gifts were in Amazon boxes but the gift did not come from Amazon.  The two gifts we took were also in Amazon boxes we had at the house - the gifts did not originally come in them.

Hey there!  I was thinking about the tape Amazon uses.  I think it would be hard to duplicate the tape, and it would be easy to tell if it had been resealed.  But I agree with you -- I'd be very nervous to open a package if I wasn't expecting it.

Offline MOD3

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 06:53:05 am »
Topics merged.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 10:29:32 am »
Yep. I saw that little blurb about both targets being Black families and they were considering a 'hate crime'. But I have to disagree. Hate crimes normally don't target individuals like that. Someone doing a hate crime would want maximum casualties, not just one person here and one person there unless the people were some very important Black leader or something like that which these are not.

Also, the most dangerous people to Blacks is not Whites, or Cops, or the KKK. The most dangerous people in terms of killing Black people is other Black people. This is much more likely to be gangs or drug/crime related than it is to be a hate crime in my opinion, for what it is worth.

These do not seem like random acts. The people being hurt by this seem to be specifically targeted for some reason that we do not know yet.

So you are saying that when James Byrd was dragged with a chain and lynched in 1998, it wasn't aimed at a certain group of people because it was just one of him and not an act of hate? Well, the courts and myself certainly disagree.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_James_Byrd_Jr.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 10:34:02 am »
If the bomber is smart, they should know, this same ploy will not work in a good portion of Austin now that the public has been put on notice.  It should be the whole city will know but we know, everywhere, some people don't seem to get the news.

This could be like the Unibomber and the bomber could remain on the loose for years. Law Enforcement may well not tell the public their best clues on this. Everyone in Texas, that surrounding area, maybe the whole US, should know better than to pick up suspicious packages.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 11:30:23 am »
So you are saying that when James Byrd was dragged with a chain and lynched in 1998, it wasn't aimed at a certain group of people because it was just one of him and not an act of hate? Well, the courts and myself certainly disagree.

How many people in that group were killed by the group that lynched Byrd? A dozen?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 03:27:35 pm »

What a bizarre argument!

Offline TomSea

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 03:32:49 pm »
How many people in that group were killed by the group that lynched Byrd? A dozen?

None. Good point.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 03:33:11 pm »
What a bizarre argument!

I appreciate the constructive criticism.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »
I appreciate the constructive criticism.

It was more than that argument deserved.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2018, 11:25:11 pm »
What perplexed investigators was the attack on Herrera. She is Hispanic and has no connection to House, Dixon or the Mason family, but, according to the Washington Post, the package that injured Herrera, who was injured at her mother’s home, was not addressed to the home to which it was delivered. According to the American-Statesman, investigators believe the deadly package was intended for a neighbor, Erica Mason, who might have been targeted under the belief that she was a member of the Mason family. Investigators interviewed Erica, who is from Iowa, on Wednesday and concluded that she was not a member of the targeted family, but it is not known conclusively if she was the intended target.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/03/theory-emerging-on-motive-of-austin-bombings.html

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2018, 11:29:07 pm »
What perplexed investigators was the attack on Herrera. She is Hispanic and has no connection to House, Dixon or the Mason family, but, according to the Washington Post, the package that injured Herrera, who was injured at her mother’s home, was not addressed to the home to which it was delivered. According to the American-Statesman, investigators believe the deadly package was intended for a neighbor, Erica Mason, who might have been targeted under the belief that she was a member of the Mason family. Investigators interviewed Erica, who is from Iowa, on Wednesday and concluded that she was not a member of the targeted family, but it is not known conclusively if she was the intended target.

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2018/03/theory-emerging-on-motive-of-austin-bombings.html

That's an interesting site.  I love some of the headlines:

Gun Con-Troll: How I Managed to Enrage (and Expose) Thousands of Right-Wing Gun Guys
The Funniest Tweets About Rex Tillerson’s Firing
The 5 Most Likely Cabinet Members to Go Next in Trump's Purge
Watch Betsy DeVos Demonstrate How Little She Knows About Schools, Again
Why The U.S. Government Just Sued California Over Sanctuary Cities
In the 2018 Midterms, It’s Republicans Vs. The Human Instinct for Self-Preservation
Trump Didn’t Condemn the Russians for their Chemical Attack in the UK
New CIA Chief Gina Haspel Was an Enthusiastic Torture Proponent...To Put it Mildly

However, the Austin police chief has said very clearly that they don't know that these bombings are tied to any ideology.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 11:29:35 pm by Sanguine »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2018, 04:47:58 am »
Just adding on to the existing thread, read it for oneself:
SXSW cancels The Roots concert after 'security concern'
BY Nicole Hensley

An Austin concert set to star The Roots was abruptly canceled because of an unspecified “security concern,” event organizers said Saturday night.

Police swarmed the Fair Market venue as the South by Southwest performance was called off, about a half hour before the hip hop show was scheduled to begin, according to the Austin Statesman.

Questlove, the Philly-based band's drummer, warned fans about the cancellation on Twitter and then deleted his tweet.

Read more at: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/sxsw-cancels-roots-concert-security-concern-article-1.3881661

Authorities might be overly cautious and that's better than not being so.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2018, 09:12:17 am »
This is heartbreaking

Bless the victims and their families- I hope the person who is doing this will be caught asap.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2018, 03:49:51 pm »
It's frustrating that there is so little information at this point.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2018, 03:52:28 pm »
It's frustrating that there is so little information at this point.

Keep us posted @Sanguine
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline TomSea

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2018, 02:27:55 am »
Keep us posted @Sanguine

@Freya

She could be keeping us up to date and she has a lot of potential.

As it is, unbelievable, something more is happening there tonight but I can't tell how serious it is.

Austin Statesman
‏Verified account @statesman
3m3 minutes ago

BREAKING NEW UPDATE: Two possible explosions reported in Southwest Austin https://atxne.ws/2IzQoaA

ATCEMS
‏Verified account @ATCEMS
3m3 minutes ago

FINAL: Critical Incident @ 4800blk Dawn Song Dr (correct incident address), Only 1 incident location has been confirmed. #ATCEMSMedics have transported X2 ~20's Males to SAMC w/serious, but not expected to be life-threatening injuries. Refer all inquires to @Austin_Police

More: https://twitter.com/statesman
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 02:29:13 am by TomSea »