Author Topic: Six figures for six feet: Some Harvey victims in Houston spend huge sums to elevate their homes  (Read 2159 times)

Offline thackney

Six figures for six feet: Some Harvey victims in Houston spend huge sums to elevate their homes
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/03/14/harvey-elevate-homes-flood-houston-money-costs/

...Instead, they recently paid a contractor nearly $300,000 to lift their 3,350-square-foot house 6 feet off the ground so they won’t have to worry about the next big storm....

...A growing number of Houston homeowners who have suffered repeated flooding — the city has seen major floods for three straight years — have decided to elevate their homes. And most, like Axelrad and her husband, largely have to pay for the elevation themselves. With a mix of their own money, insurance funds, a small grant and an SBA loan, the family of five is chipping away at the $280,000 elevation bill. They’ve stopped saving money and contributing to their retirement fund to help pay off the new debt.

Like many of their neighbors, they applied for a Federal Emergency Management Agency grant to elevate their home after the 2015 flood but found themselves behind more than 200 others on the waiting list.

As of December, only 42 families had received those FEMA grants, and just nine had elevated their homes or begun construction. Those looking to elevate their homes after Harvey have two options: get on FEMA’s list and risk flooding again as they wait or find a way to fund the project themselves.

“We knew that there would be more grants, but we weren’t willing to put our kids through another flood again while we waited for one,” Axelrad said.

Elevation and construction company Arkitektura, which elevated Axelrad's home, estimates the cost of elevating the typical house at about $75 per square foot — or more than $112,000 for a 1,500-square-foot house. And because families still need to fix flood damage inside their homes, the final bill can be even higher....

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Frank Cannon

How about not living in a swamp?

Offline thackney

How about not living in a swamp?

When your home is without flooding for 40 years, you start to think it is a safe location.

Offline Frank Cannon

When your home is without flooding for 40 years, you start to think it is a safe location.

Well there is no excuses anymore for not being aware of the type of land they live on.

Offline thackney

Well there is no excuses anymore for not being aware of the type of land they live on.

So what do they (I) do?  Declare bankruptcy and walk away from the mortgage?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

If you live next to the ocean it is not a safe location.   Sooner or later the ocean will visit.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline thackney

If you live next to the ocean it is not a safe location.   Sooner or later the ocean will visit.

Houston is 40 miles from the coast, mostly ~50 feet above sea level.  Would you have all locations in the US move  farther away from the ocean?

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Houston is 40 miles from the coast, mostly ~50 feet above sea level.  Would you have all locations in the US move  farther away from the ocean?

I live 3 miles from the gulf at 64ft.    It's not likely but there's a chance it could effect us.

I don't live in a flood zone so the chances are slim
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

You do exactly what people there are doing.  Raise the house and go on with life.

Offline thackney

I live 3 miles from the gulf at 64ft.    It's not likely but there's a chance it could effect us.

I don't live in a flood zone so the chances are slim
Lots of Houston area homes that are not in a flood zone, flooded.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
After what the government did in La after their dikes broke (went house to house taking guns in affluent neighborhoods that were above flood level). Why not spend a few thousand more and put a fence around your place too. If your the only one above water, the rats will come a swimming.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Through much of human history many people lived along major rivers or near the oceans.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Frank Cannon

Through much of human history many people lived along major rivers or near the oceans.

How many of those areas were actual swamps?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

Most of the Gulf Coast is low lying land.  Just the way it is.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Most of those areas, I would bet are Not "actual" swamps.

"A swamp is an area of land permanently saturated, or filled, with water. Many swamps are even covered by water."

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Having lived near wetlands, studied a bit of geology, I think many "swamps" were filled in to facilitate growth of coastal towns, then cities.

Locally we have a river that wandered 20-30 miles, until the banks were confined to one route within the last 100 years.  Banks become more secure and permanent, until the fail like NO.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Having lived near wetlands, studied a bit of geology, I think many "swamps" were filled in to facilitate growth of coastal towns, then cities.

Locally we have a river that wandered 20-30 miles, until the banks were confined to one route within the last 100 years.  Banks become more secure and permanent, until the fail like NO.

I had a neighbor(he was in his 80s back in the late 70s) that had a farm on the banks of the Mississippi many years ago. Farmers learned to depend on the annual floods to increase the fertility of their croplands. Levies were hated and were occasionally dynamited.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Where are you safe from flooding?

Residents living on Kirschner Mountain have had water flooding into their homes since Thursday and are desperately trying to stop the never ending flow.

! No longer available

Residents living on Kirschner Mountain have had water flooding into their homes since Thursday and are desperately trying to stop the never ending flow.

It was Thursday night when Donna Greer and Karen Bernath found water flowing into the basement of their home located on Verde Vista Road.

They spent all night digging trenches, shovelling water and running pumps to push out the water.

“We have a waterfall feature here down the back hill we never installed,” said Bernath. “You can hear the water and you know to get out there all sump pumps and wet vacs on deck.”

Water is coming at the house by seeping underneath and also running down the mountain.

Their next-door neighbour noticed water running into his home Sunday night.

“The water was flowing through my yard and I noticed my window well was filling with water and almost up to the top of the window,” said Harry Rasmussen.

Rasmussen quickly made a trough to push the water down to the end of the street and away from his home.

“A small creek here and a large creek at the neighbours, a lot of water,” he said.

Residents said the water needs to go somewhere and believe this flooding is from a recent development above their properties on the top of the mountain.

“We have been here over 20 years,  we’ve never ever had issues like this,” said Greer.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-221499-1-.htm