Author Topic: 5 Reasons LeBron James Will Be A Sixer Next Season  (Read 3135 times)

Online mountaineer

5 Reasons LeBron James Will Be A Sixer Next Season
« on: March 02, 2018, 02:43:05 pm »
5 Reasons LeBron James Will Be A Sixer Next Season
If King James wants to be compared to Michael Jordan, Philly is the only place he can achieve that.
By David Marcus
Last night the Philadelphia 76ers travelled to Cleveland to play the Cavaliers. But the real story was not the game, it was the growing rumor that Cavs superstar LeBron James, widely believed to be leaving Cleveland at the end of the season, is considering playing for the Sixers. While the Sixers had always been vaguely thought to be on James’ shortlist of teams for next season, it was a few Philly sports fans who set the new fire under the idea. ...

It’s no secret that LeBron doesn’t always play well with others. His contemporaries often wind up resenting the power he brings to organizations. Dwayne Wade, Kyrie Irving, Kevin Love, and Isaiah Thomas all have run afoul of James and found it trying. But the Sixers, while stacked with young talent, do not have any James contemporaries. He would clearly be the elder, almost a player coach.

Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons are superstars in the making who grew up watching James, and are unlikely to throw shade when he tries to run the show.   ...
I watched a little of the 76s vs. Cavs game last night. James played like he was trying to lose, which is incredibly disrespectful to every one of his teammates, the coach and the club.

I have to laugh at this writer's notion, "In Philadelphia James will find a fan base that rewards his tough as nails, defense-heavy style of play," as I have yet to see James play defense. Very odd.  Anyhow, the rest of the article is at The Federalist.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: 5 Reasons LeBron James Will Be A Sixer Next Season
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 04:55:47 pm »
Or maybe Lebron just doesn't want to be splashed with soup.
JR Smith earned suspension for throwing soup at assistant Damon Jones

CLEVELAND -- Cavaliers guard JR Smith earned his one-game suspension from the team Thursday by throwing a bowl of soup at assistant coach Damon Jones, multiple sources with knowledge of the incident told ESPN.

Jones, a former Cavs player, has been back with the organization since 2014. He worked his way up from an assistant coach with the Canton Charge -- the Cavs' G League affiliate -- to Cleveland, where he is a trusted voice for head coach Tyronn Lue.

Smith will return to practice Friday, according to Lue, and resume his role as the starting shooting guard when the Cavs host the Denver Nuggets on Saturday.  ...
ESPN

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 05:39:38 pm »
Comparing LeBron (or anyone, really) to Jordan or anyone else is an apples-to-oranges conversation.

Yes, Jordan was an elite player. But he only ever did it with one team: Chicago. When he tried his comeback with the Washington Wizards, it was a disaster. It's similar with Tom Brady; would he have ever been the same kind of player he was if he had left New England in his prime? We'll never know, but we do know the team that surrounded those players was the major reason behind those players' successes.

LeBron James has done something Jordan never did, and that's win championships leading two teams, Miami and Cleveland. (In that regard, Peyton Manning has a similar credit with the Colts and Broncos.) That, to me, is a greater marker of greatness than numbers alone, because it means you have to have the talent to bring the people around you up to an elite squad.

What, really, can LeBron prove at this point that he hasn't proven already? At least this time around, if he does leave, he can leave on good terms, knowing he brought a championship to his hometown. He can finish his career in Philly, or be like Brett Favre and bounce around the league for a few years, and not diminish his contribution to the game.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online goatprairie

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 02:16:33 pm »
Comparing LeBron (or anyone, really) to Jordan or anyone else is an apples-to-oranges conversation.

Yes, Jordan was an elite player. But he only ever did it with one team: Chicago. When he tried his comeback with the Washington Wizards, it was a disaster. It's similar with Tom Brady; would he have ever been the same kind of player he was if he had left New England in his prime? We'll never know, but we do know the team that surrounded those players was the major reason behind those players' successes.

LeBron James has done something Jordan never did, and that's win championships leading two teams, Miami and Cleveland. (In that regard, Peyton Manning has a similar credit with the Colts and Broncos.) That, to me, is a greater marker of greatness than numbers alone, because it means you have to have the talent to bring the people around you up to an elite squad.

What, really, can LeBron prove at this point that he hasn't proven already? At least this time around, if he does leave, he can leave on good terms, knowing he brought a championship to his hometown. He can finish his career in Philly, or be like Brett Favre and bounce around the league for a few years, and not diminish his contribution to the game.
Jordan is rightly in the running for greatest player of all time, but he won his titles at the right time.  He didn't win anything in the eighties despite scoring a ton of points. In fact, he had several losing seasons while leading the league in scoring.
But in the nineties the great eighties teams of the Celtics, Lakers, Sixers were no more.  Even the Bucks would have given the Bulls a run for their money in the eastern conference.
However, the nineties Bulls were a great team and proved it by beating the Pistons who had just won two consecutive titles.
Nevertheless, the rest of the league declined in the nineties.  No other great teams like Magic's showtime Lakers, Bird's Celtics, or Dr. Jr's  Sixers.
But the Bulls not only didn't face the same competition in the nineties as they would have in the eighties, the Bulls were a better team in the nineties with a perfect coach. 
Jordan and Pippen might be the best one-two combo in league history. The other players did their parts to supplement those two. Jackson knew how get the best out of everybody.
The nineties Bulls would have won titles in the eighties....just not six. Maybe two or three at best.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:17:24 pm by goatprairie »

Online goatprairie

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:37:44 pm »
Getting back to James, I have no idea whether he'll leave the Cavs and go elsewhere next season.  Just to win a title? That's debatable. The Sixers certainly have better young talent than the Cavs, but even with James it's not a shoo-in that they could get by GS or even Houston. Embiid looks to be a very brittle player. And Ben Simmons is filling the Lebron James role on the Sixers. What would he do with James on the court at the same time? Superfluous.
However, all the people berating James for not winning more are wrong. He is up there with Jordan and the rest among the league's greatest. He's won three titles including one against a super strong GS team coming back from being down 3-1.
It's just that the competition he faces is a lot tougher than the competition Jordan faced in the nineties.  That's relative to the situation. There were no super strong teams like GS facing Jordan.
When Jordan left the Bulls to play baseball after winning three in a row, the Bulls only lost two less regular season games the following season and almost beat the Knicks, who got to the finals, in seven games.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 02:38:56 pm by goatprairie »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2018, 02:47:30 am »

who cares anyway?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online goatprairie

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2018, 03:27:15 am »
who cares anyway?
Obviously you do or you wouldn't have commented.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2018, 03:32:48 am »

Excellent post, @jmyrlefuller     LeBron is in the position at this stage of his career to prioritize what excites him.  I think the progress the Sixers have made,  and the rise of its young core, exites LeBron.    Simmons is doing things that haven't been done since Oscar Robertson.   Embiied could be the next big star. 

LeBron may very well want to be a part of it.   If you're a champion surfer, you yearn to catch the big wave.   That wave is approaching, and building, in Philly.   
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 03:33:33 am by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2018, 09:26:54 pm »
Obviously you do or you wouldn't have commented.
That's an extremely strange rationale.

I believe you reached the incorrect conclusion from my post.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online goatprairie

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2018, 05:08:38 pm »
That's an extremely strange rationale.

I believe you reached the incorrect conclusion from my post.
Hey, if you don't like basketball, don't comment. I don't get on threads where I have no interest and make insipid comments.
I'm sure you have your own sporting interests or other interests, and most likely I don't give a damn about them. But then I don't get on those threads and make troll-like comments about "who cares?"

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2018, 01:24:08 pm »
Hey, if you don't like basketball, don't comment. I don't get on threads where I have no interest and make insipid comments.
I'm sure you have your own sporting interests or other interests, and most likely I don't give a damn about them. But then I don't get on those threads and make troll-like comments about "who cares?"
You are still making claims that are weird.

I like basketball, just not the pro type.

Look at the historical viewership over the past years for the championship.

They have a major problem in attracting audiences lately.

I am not the only person who says 'who cares?'

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2018, 01:36:43 pm »
But who cares that you don't care?   Those of us that do are getting a lot of enjoyment out of this NBA season.  The Sixers are maddeningly inconsistent (far too many turnovers),  but even without Fultz are at that point where the potential can be savored.  Yeah,  this season has been a hoot, for the first time in many years.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2018, 01:54:29 pm »
I much prefer college hoops to the NBA. Once the NBA gets through its interminable playoffs and finally has a championship series, then I'm more likely to watch on TV (though recently I've enjoyed catching a few minutes of Cleveland games where they fail miserably). Of course, by then it's summer and it's hard to think about b-ball when you're out golfing and gardening!  :pondering:

Online goatprairie

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 03:12:20 pm »
You are still making claims that are weird.

I like basketball, just not the pro type.

Look at the historical viewership over the past years for the championship.

They have a major problem in attracting audiences lately.

I am not the only person who says 'who cares?'

Then stay out of threads about pro basketball for crying out loud.

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 07:08:57 pm »
Then stay out of threads about pro basketball for crying out loud.
You a dictator or something now?

Geesh, cool off and stop crying so loudly.

I made my point and am still trying to ascertain what your point is, whether it is to eliminate all criticism of the league or certain players or just plain angry.

Online corbe

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2018, 10:11:33 pm »
   I certainly care @goatprairie and thanks for posting this @mountaineer Being a Rockets Fan for 30 years and reading many Blogs across the NBA, I've come to the conclusion that the former ping writes for ESPN or something, he knows his $hit.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 12:55:42 am »
   I certainly care @goatprairie and thanks for posting this @mountaineer Being a Rockets Fan for 30 years and reading many Blogs across the NBA, I've come to the conclusion that the former ping writes for ESPN or something, he knows his $hit.
Thank you, I'm a little deranged about basketball. I'd rather watch a game on YT from forty-fifty years ago than just about anything else. But I don't write for ESPN.

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 02:47:28 am »
@goatprairie - are you doing the NCAA's?  I love to do the brackets.  Just checking to see if you are into the real deal basketball.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2018, 01:53:51 pm »
So have the Cavs been trying to throw games lately? They stink, both before and after LeBron's reshuffling, first bringing in Isaiah Thomas and then dumping him, etc.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2018, 02:12:19 pm »
So have the Cavs been trying to throw games lately? They stink, both before and after LeBron's reshuffling, first bringing in Isaiah Thomas and then dumping him, etc.
That's what happens when you let the star player run the club. To be fair Love's injury is really hurting the Cavs. Love is a great scorer and  tremendous rebounder. Although scoring points hasn't been their problem. They can't seem to stop anybody from scoring..
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:19:05 pm by goatprairie »

Online goatprairie

« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2018, 02:18:00 pm »
@goatprairie - are you doing the NCAA's?  I love to do the brackets.  Just checking to see if you are into the real deal basketball.
yes, but since the Badgers aren't in it for the first time in almost twenty years, I'm not real excited. However, the Bucks will be in the NBA playoffs, and I will watch them.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2018, 05:11:52 pm »
That's what happens when you let the star player run the club.
Especially when that star player is not quite as smart as he thinks he is.

To be fair Love's injury is really hurting the Cavs. Love is a great scorer and  tremendous rebounder. Although scoring points hasn't been their problem. They can't seem to stop anybody from scoring..
I agree. Love plays both ends of the court. Lebron does not.

Online corbe

« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2018, 01:32:03 am »
  LeBron with his Triple Doubles and Harden (Rockets) averaging 32 points a game, Defense was written out of their contracts, it appears, cause they suc at it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online goatprairie

« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2018, 02:04:40 am »
  LeBron with his Triple Doubles and Harden (Rockets) averaging 32 points a game, Defense was written out of their contracts, it appears, cause they suc at it.
Harden has a habit of choki....er....not playing his best in the playoffs. We'll see how he does this year. If Houston can get past GS (which I'd love..I can't stand GS), then I'll eat crow.  Even if they lose and Harden plays great, I'll eat crow.

Online corbe

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2018, 02:33:46 am »
   Totally understandable viewpoint @goatprairie with your concerns about a repeat of Chock City/2016, against the Spurs no least, that hurt worse. I really hope Chris Paul shames Harden into the alternative, he promised Paul a trip to the Finals to come to Houston.  1st team in the West to clinch a playoff spot.