Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don’t want to be a  (Read 18812 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It's not Dick's job to address root causes or solve problems.  What it can do is acknowledge the concerns many of its customers have regarding kids being shot in cold blood at concerts, schools and other public places.  Yes, it wants to portray itself as virtuous - and will likely suffer a loss of business for it.   Perhaps the rest of us should strive to be virtuous and civic-minded as well.     

You just said in the comment I was responding to it was helping solve the problem.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
You just said in the comment I was responding to it was helping solve the problem.

My original comment tracked the language of Dick's statement:

But we have to help solve the problem that's in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that's taking the lives of too many people . . .

Now is Dick's action, by itself, going to "solve the problem", even in a small way?  Probably not.  But I like the old adage that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.   Dick's will likely lose business for being civic-minded rather than selfish.   Virtue is its own, and this case likely only, reward. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline andy58-in-nh

@andy58-in-nh 

More felons commit murder with firearms then crazies.   Felons don't purchase their firearms at a gun store.

That's exactly right. Which is why all gun control laws are ultimately useless.

We have culture and morality problems. We have behavioral and mental illness problems. We have law enforcement problems.

Guns did not cause any of these problems, and banning them won't solve them, either.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
It's not Dick's job to address root causes or solve problems.  What it can do is acknowledge the concerns many of its customers have regarding kids being shot in cold blood at concerts, schools and other public places.  Yes, it wants to portray itself as virtuous - and will likely suffer a loss of business for it.   Perhaps the rest of us should strive to be virtuous and civic-minded as well.     

@Jazzhead
First you commend them for helping to solve the 'problem' and then say its not their job to address the problem.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

My original comment tracked the language of Dick's statement:

Now is Dick's action, by itself, going to "solve the problem", even in a small way?  Probably not.  But I like the old adage that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.   Dick's will likely lose business for being civic-minded rather than selfish.   Virtue is its own, and this case likely only, reward.

@Jazzhead
So based on your logic should Dicks also stop selling knives?  They kill a lot more people then guns.

Offline Frank Cannon

This is grand standing bullshit to inject themselves into the story. This crappy store hasen't had guns for years.

Offline skeeter

@Jazzhead
So based on your logic should Dicks also stop selling knives?  They kill a lot more people then guns.

Dicks selfishly considers knives a bridge too far.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I'd say the company is pretty aptly named.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline dfwgator

That's exactly right. Which is why all gun control laws are ultimately useless.

We have culture and morality problems. We have behavioral and mental illness problems. We have law enforcement problems.

Guns did not cause any of these problems, and banning them won't solve them, either.

And focusing on guns is a cop-out to avoid talking about the root causes,  which contain a lot of 'inconvenient truths'.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter

I believe the idea is that banning certain types of guns with large capacities and rapid fire, that the carnage at mass shootings may be less.   For example, if the Las Vegas shooter didn't have an array of high capacity semi-autos,  he may have killed 10 folks and wounded 25, rather than killed 50 and wounded 500.   

So the idea isn't to "solve" the problem of crazies with guns, but rather limit their ability to cause multiple deaths in a short period of time.   

I'm not saying I support these types of bans;  I'm merely describing what appears to be the motivation behind them.   

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
And focusing on guns is a cop-out to avoid talking about the root causes,  which contain a lot of 'inconvenient truths'.

What cop out?   Why not address both?   

Offline driftdiver

I believe the idea is that banning certain types of guns with large capacities and rapid fire, that the carnage at mass shootings may be less.   For example, if the Las Vegas shooter didn't have an array of high capacity semi-autos,  he may have killed 10 folks and wounded 25, rather than killed 50 and wounded 500.   

So the idea isn't to "solve" the problem of crazies with guns, but rather limit their ability to cause multiple deaths in a short period of time.   

I'm not saying I support these types of bans;  I'm merely describing what appears to be the motivation behind them.   

@Jazzhead
Thats the stated motivation.  Each and every proposal by gun control activists are simply one more step to make it harder and more expensive to own firearms.  They have clearly stated their goal is to ban all guns.  So anything, no matter how  minor that furthers that goal is acceptable.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
@Jazzhead
First you commend them for helping to solve the 'problem' and then say its not their job to address the problem.

Like I said, at least they're willing to try to be part of a civic-minded solution.   They are not being merely selfish.   

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Is this true?

Apparently they did, but started selling them again in their subsidiary stores.  Oddly, people wanted them.  Who knew? :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline driftdiver

What cop out?   Why not address both?

@Jazzhead

A.  Ownership of firearms is a constitutionally protected right.
B.  Gun control has been proven to increase crime and deaths associated with those crimes. 

Offline Suppressed

@Jazzhead

@driftdiver

Uh, no.  Not even close, at least in the US.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

My main complaint against them is I went in a couple weeks ago to buy a Henry 45/70 and they were sold out.

Ask Allen Lee in the Far Harbor gun store.  He usually has one for sale every couple of days.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Like I said, at least they're willing to try to be part of a civic-minded solution.   They are not being merely selfish.   

Only tyrants and their supporters are stupid enough to declare that a refusal to surrender a Right and the instruments and exercises of that right is 'selfish'.

I think we should take a page out of your playbook, and find a pro-2nd Amendment Judge and sue Dicks for refusing to sell guns when they advertise that they are a sporting goods store that sells sporting equipment and hunting gear.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:56:00 pm by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline andy58-in-nh

The problem with that is that there are many millions of these weapons currently owned by Americans, and 99.999% of them will never be used to harm innocent life. They are, however, highly useful in defending and saving human lives.

Bear in mind also that these are not automatic weapons, they are not "weapons of war", nor do they allow the truly high rates of fire associated with such military weapons. If outfitted with so-called "bump-stocks", an AR-15 can fire more rapidly by reducing the time required between trigger pulls, although with a significant sacrifice in accuracy (which of course, did not help those poor people in Las Vegas).

But that sick, twisted bastard never should have had access to a gun in the first place, and that is primarily a failure of law enforcement, FBI background reporting and the detritus of cultural rot.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline thackney

@Jazzhead

Knives more than rifles, not the generic guns including handguns.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/table-12

But the problem with that claim is the amount in the column: Firearms (type unknown)

Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
The problem with that is that there are many millions of these weapons currently owned by Americans, and 99.999% of them will never be used to harm innocent life. They are, however, highly useful in defending and saving human lives.

A similar statement could be used with respect to cars.   As I've said repeatedly, the rules requiring owners to register and insure their cars has not led to confiscation.   The RKBA does not confer the right to amass arsenals in secret.  Guns, like cars, should be registered and insured. It's called being responsible.

Bear in mind also that these are not automatic weapons, they are not "weapons of war", nor do they allow the truly high rates of fire associated with such military weapons. If outfitted with so-called "bump-stocks", an AR-15 can fire more rapidly by reducing the time required between trigger pulls, although with a significant sacrifice in accuracy (which of course, did not help those poor people in Las Vegas). 

I know what they are.  I don't favor bans on entire classes of weapons such as semi-automatics - for obvious reasons (as you alluded to above),  such laws impact the good guys far more than the bad guys.   I could, however, favor a ban on high capacity magazines and bump stocks.   

But that sick, twisted bastard never should have had access to a gun in the first place, and that is primarily a failure of law enforcement, FBI background reporting and the detritus of cultural rot.

Agree, 100%.    That's why I favor such targeted measures as gun violence restraining orders.    There may have been insufficient evidence to incarcerate Cruz, but there may have been enough to take his guns away.   
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:09:25 pm by Jazzhead »

Offline thackney

Guns, like cars, should be registered and insured. It's called being responsible.

So like cars, registered and insured if used in public funded areas? but not private property?

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 06:11:27 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

Dick's announcement is utterly irrelevant to most gun owners in my area. We generally patronize local gunshops or Cabela's. Now if Cabela's starts pandering to snowflakes, it may be a problem (though not for me, I'll stick to one of the locally-owned dealers).
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

So like cars, registered and insured if used in public funded areas? but not private property?

A whole bunch of jeeps out here that are fitted with a tow bar, or trailered to the sticks. not registered or insured. Legal off the paved road last I looked.