Author Topic: Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don’t want to be a  (Read 18831 times)

Offline Suppressed

Dick's Sporting Goods CEO on decision to no longer sell assault-style rifles: 'We don’t want to be a part of this story'
By DAVID CAPLAN KATIE KINDELAN  Feb 28, 2018, 7:52 AM ET
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/News/dicks-sporting-goods-ceo-company-longer-sell-assault/story?id=53403284

[video at link]

Dick's Sporting Goods Inc., one of the largest retailers of its kind in the United States, is taking new steps to curtail the sale of firearms, including ending sales of assault-style rifles and banning the sale of guns to people younger than 21, the company announced this morning.

"Based on what’s happened and looking at those kids and those parents, it moved us all unimaginably," company Chairman and CEO Edward Stack said today on "Good Morning America," referring to the Feb. 14 school shooting in Parkland, Florida, that killed 14 students and three educators.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
In the letter, Stack explained, "We support and respect the Second Amendment, and we recognize and appreciate that the vast majority of gun owners in this country are responsible, law-abiding citizens. But we have to help solve the problem that's in front of us. Gun violence is an epidemic that's taking the lives of too many people, including the brightest hope for the future of America –- our kids."

How can one disagree with that?   Preserve the right, but acknowledge and help solve the problem. 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline thackney

Stores have the right to set their own policy.

We will see if they stick to this policy.

The Political Backlash Against Gun Sales Is Driving Them Upward
https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2012/12/20/the-political-backlash-against-gun-sales-is-driving-them-upward/#2604b1d27d8d
DEC 20, 2012

...Meanwhile, as a response to the Sandy Hook massacre, the retail chain Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. stopped selling semi-automatic rifles at all of its 480 stores....

- - - - - -

Dick's Sporting Goods Guns: 7 Types of Guns You Can and Cannot Buy
https://www.newsmax.com/fastfeatures/dicks-sporting-goods-guns-types-buy/2015/01/08/id/617446/
 08 Jan 2015

...Dick’s no longer sells these modern sporting rifles, which resemble the M-16 military rifle. As a semiautomatic, one round is released with each trigger pull. An AR-15 was used at Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting spree....
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline mountaineer

Twitchy Team
‏Verified account @TwitchyTeam
13m13 minutes ago

Dick's Sporting Goods unveils BOLD plan to help small business owners sell more guns
Exactly. Go to your local gun shop.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I have shopped Dicks before.  Not often as I have never warmed up to the place so I go elsewhere.  I only use them for comparison price shopping and the buy from Amazon. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline mountaineer

I get golf gloves there, but only when they're on sale.
The only gun-related thing I ever purchased at Dick's was a box of .22LR.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I thought Dickless's dropped Sporting Rifles a long time ago....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
How can one disagree with that?   Preserve the right, but acknowledge and help solve the problem.

Vendors should be free to sell or not sell whatever they please, right?  "How can one disagree with that?"
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire

The did and I haven't spent a dime there since.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline driftdiver

@Jazzhead
Certainly their right although as another posted has noted you seem somewhat selective in allowing business owners that right.

As a consumer I choose not to spend money in their business.

Finally, since rifles are only used in 3% of all murders they really aren't accomplishing anything except trying to get some free press.

Offline thackney

...In 2012, after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Dick’s removed assault-style rifles from its main retail stores. But a few months later, the company began carrying the firearms at its outdoor and hunting retail chain, Field & Stream.

This time, Mr. Stack said, the changes will be permanent....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.html

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

The only time I was in a Dick's - they had no firearms section at all.  Hunting gear and bows, but no rifles or pistols or ammunition.   

I was actually there to see if they had snorkel gear for an upcoming cruise.

I could not believe how ridiculously high priced they were.

I have no plans to go back.

They just opened up an Academy Sports out there.  Don't know if they sell firearms or not, but if I have a need to find frisbees for the GSD, I might pop in sometime to have a lookie around.

I have a local gun shop I patronize for my arms and stuff.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

Vendors should be free to sell or not sell whatever they please, right?  "How can one disagree with that?"

I like your style Son!.  Keep up the good work.

Offline driftdiver

...In 2012, after the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, Dick’s removed assault-style rifles from its main retail stores. But a few months later, the company began carrying the firearms at its outdoor and hunting retail chain, Field & Stream.

This time, Mr. Stack said, the changes will be permanent....

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/28/business/dicks-major-gun-retailer-will-stop-selling-assault-style-rifles.html

They opened a Bass Pro Shops in my area.   Their opening weekend people had to park a mile away.  The place is packed every weekend and they certainly don't mind selling sporting rifles.

Offline thackney

They just opened up an Academy Sports out there.  Don't know if they sell firearms or not, but if I have a need to find frisbees for the GSD, I might pop in sometime to have a lookie around.

They sell a lot of firearms at decent price for big box store.

Often very good price on ammo.

Offline WingNot

They opened a Bass Pro Shops in my area.   Their opening weekend people had to park a mile away.  The place is packed every weekend and they certainly don't mind selling sporting rifles.

Nor does Cabella's.  I don't have one near me now but I loved the one in North Fort Worth by the "Ross Perot" Acre's (Alliance Airport)

Offline driftdiver

Nor does Cabella's.  I don't have one near me now but I loved the one in North Fort Worth by the "Ross Perot" Acre's (Alliance Airport)

My main complaint against them is I went in a couple weeks ago to buy a Henry 45/70 and they were sold out.   

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

It is hyperbole that does nothing to address root causes nor solves any problem. It is a marketing calculation, nothing more. They think it will bring good PR.

Online andy58-in-nh

...and yet Dick's Sporting Goods now makes themselves a "part of the story", with their CEO going on national TV interviews (including this morning on ABC's Good Morning America) to promote his brand, and one, supposes, their moral superiority.

One can make the case that (as Dick's CEO did) that it is risky to sell firearms under the current environment, which suffers from insufficient background checks for criminal histories and mental illness, and other failures of law enforcement. But why then sell guns at all, as opposed to not selling only semi-automatic rifles? More crazy people kill others with pistols than with rifles, after all.

But the entire problem here is that such violence is in fact, rare in the United States, in spite of highly-publicized events such as those in Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, and now in Florida.  Most firearms deaths in the US are the result of suicide (pistols, again). There is no good reason though, to refuse to sell semi-autos to responsible citizens, who in any event can buy the same weapons at dozens of other sporting goods and firearms outlets.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline driftdiver

...and yet Dick's Sporting Goods now makes themselves a "part of the story", with their CEO going on national TV interviews (including this morning on ABC's Good Morning America) to promote his brand, and one, supposes, their moral superiority.

One can make the case that (as Dick's CEO did) that it is risky to sell firearms under the current environment, which suffers from insufficient background checks for criminal histories and mental illness, and other failures of law enforcement. But why then sell guns at all, as opposed to not selling only semi-automatic rifles? More crazy people kill others with pistols than with rifles, after all.

But the entire problem here is that such violence is in fact, rare in the United States, in spite of highly-publicized events such as those in Sandy Hook, Las Vegas, and now in Florida.  Most firearms deaths in the US are the result of suicide (pistols, again). There is no good reason though, to refuse to sell semi-autos to responsible citizens, who in any event can buy the same weapons at dozens of other sporting goods and firearms outlets.

@andy58-in-nh 

More felons commit murder with firearms then crazies.   Felons don't purchase their firearms at a gun store.

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
It is hyperbole that does nothing to address root causes nor solves any problem. It is a marketing calculation, nothing more. They think it will bring good PR.

It's not Dick's job to address root causes or solve problems.  What it can do is acknowledge the concerns many of its customers have regarding kids being shot in cold blood at concerts, schools and other public places.  Yes, it wants to portray itself as virtuous - and will likely suffer a loss of business for it.   Perhaps the rest of us should strive to be virtuous and civic-minded as well.     
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:21:17 pm by Jazzhead »
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Even though Dick's advertises themselves as sellers of Sporting Goods and guns, they shouldn't be forced to sell things they find morally repugnant.  "How can one disagree with that?"
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

It's not Dick's job to address root causes or solve problems.  What it can do is acknowledge the concerns many of its customers have regarding kids being shot in cold blood at concerts, schools and other public places.  Yes, it wants to portray itself as virtuous - and will likely suffer a loss of business for it.   Perhaps the rest of us should strive to be virtuous and civic-minded as well.     

What saccharine pap.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
What saccharine pap.

He seems to be making the argument that Dick's can sell (or not) whatever they want.  "How can one disagree with that?"
I will NOT comply.

Offline dfwgator

Is this true?