Author Topic: Argentina fires on Chinese vessel 'fishing illegally'  (Read 438 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Argentina fires on Chinese vessel 'fishing illegally'
« on: February 25, 2018, 07:50:46 pm »
Argentina fires on Chinese vessel 'fishing illegally'
ABC News

Argentina's coast guard said it fired on a Chinese boat illegally fishing in its waters before embarking on an almost eight hour chase to capture it.

Nobody was reportedly injured and no fishermen were detained.

The Argentine Naval Prefecture said in a statement Friday that its officers fired shots at the Jing Yuan 626 after the vessel was caught illegally fishing in the country's exclusive economic zone.

Read more at: http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/argentina-fires-chinese-vessel-fishing-illegally-53348418

Offline Suppressed

Re: Argentina fires on Chinese vessel 'fishing illegally'
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 01:31:26 am »
I'm no fan of the Argentines, but the Chinese are thieving scum.

...the incident, which occurred Thursday after four other vessels also flying under a Chinese flag attempted to ram into coast guard boats.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 04:39:07 am »
This new president in Argentina, maybe not so new now but he seems to be a real good guy and a true conservative.  I commend Argentina now.

Offline DB

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 05:35:57 am »
Argentina needs to work on their navy...

A Chinese fishing boat should not be able to get away from it unscathed...

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 02:40:49 pm »
China has fished itself out of its own waters, so Chinese fishermen are now sticking their rods in other nations’ seas
WRITTEN BY Matthew Sedacca   April 04, 2017
https://qz.com/948980/china-has-fished-itself-out-of-its-own-waters-so-chinese-fishermen-are-now-sticking-their-rods-in-other-nations-seas/

The growth of China’s middle class over the past 15 years or so has driven up demand for all sorts of luxury goods in the country. For example, there’s been a growing interest in high-quality seafood—which comes at a most inopportune time.

Efforts to boost China’s marine economy in recent decades, including offshore drilling and unsustainable fishing practices like trawling, has resulted in a dramatic depletion of its own fishing stock. Efforts have been made in response to this environmental damage: Since the 1990s, Beijing has implemented an annual summer moratorium on fishing in the South China Sea, and agriculture minister Han Changfu recently announced plans to cut back on the size of the world’s largest fishing fleet to protect its stocks. (China’s Ministry of Agriculture did not respond to a request for comment.)

But in order to sate its population’s rising desire for nice pieces of fish—and to continue exporting seafood abroad to trading nations—the Middle Kingdom’s fishing vessels have resorted to catch throughout the high seas (i.e., international waters) and, possibly through illegal practices, in other countries’ coastal domains.

In 2016, a number of Chinese fishing vessels were shot at for fishing in other nations’ exclusive economic zones, areas of water off countries’ coastlines where those countries have sole rights to pursue economic activity. In March 2016, Argentinian patrol units sank the Chinese fishing boat Lu Yan Yuan Yu 010 as it attempted to flee into international waters after allegedly trawling illegally off the coast of the Argentinian city Puerto Madryn. Recently, in light of illegal Chinese vessels draining the supply of fish, Somali fishermen have turned to piracy. And in November 2016, members of the South Korean coast guard opened fire on two Chinese fishing vessels that had threatened to ram patrol boats in the Yellow Sea near Incheon—not a month after Chinese fishermen rammed and sank a South Korean speedboat in the same area.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 02:45:13 pm »
Argentina needs to work on their navy...

A Chinese fishing boat should not be able to get away from it unscathed...

Isn't their Navy resting at the bottom of the ocean just off the Falkland Islands?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 02:58:18 pm »
On South Korean TV they showed one of the upscale meat markets in China, Bejing I think.

They had display after display of beef and pork.  All of the meat was laid out on what appeared to be a cooler, really nothing more than a shelf.  No covers, no plastic wrap, no workers wearing gloves.  Every customer just pawed through the individual pieces of meat to take what they wanted. 

The fresh fish were a little better.  There the customers would take a net and catch the live fish, lay it on the floor and club it to death with the back of a cleaver made available for the purpose.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 03:08:17 pm »
Isn't their Navy resting at the bottom of the ocean just off the Falkland Islands?

Admiral Belgrano, ex USS Pheonix which, incidentally, was the last surviving combatant in service that was at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41.

Damn royal navy.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 03:14:55 pm »
Admiral Belgrano, ex USS Pheonix which, incidentally, was the last surviving combatant in service that was at Pearl Harbor on 12/7/41.

Damn royal navy.

I had to go back and look...  She was sunk by the British Sub HMS Conqueror.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."