Author Topic: New Lost in Space has a black Judy Robinson, a Hispanic Major West, and a female Dr. Smith  (Read 10456 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The producer, Irwin Allen, had total contempt for his viewers - tv or movies. He thought we were a bunch of idiots.
If you look at some of the dreck people have lapped up since then, he was right.

But formulaic diversity is crap. What, no Orientals?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
If you look at some of the dreck people have lapped up since then, he was right.

But formulaic diversity is crap. What, no Orientals?

I see only round eyes. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline NavyCanDo

And I'm sure it will be even more annoying than the original......

I didn't care how stupid the original was, I had a huge boyhood crush on Marta Kristen (Judy).
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline goatprairie

I was never a huge fan of the original LIS, and I don't get much worked up about non-whites assuming roles that were first done by white actors.
What I don't like is the modern  Hollyweird habit of insisting on having non white, female, or weird sex people assuming roles to fill out the characters. I doubt that there's one tv show or movie that does not follow a p.c. agenda.
It's like they have to have at least one female in charge ordering around the males. Even on cop or military shows like Seal Team Six (?), the assault crew is ordered around by a female.
P.C. will destroy this country.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The most excruciating thing about the original series was Dr. Smith. He was openly hostile to the family, he sabotaged deliberately or accidentally every positive circumstance that the crew happened upon, and he had a very unnatural attraction to the little boy.

Even with all that, the family kept him aboard with them, even though they had dozens of chances to leave him somewhere and then to live a normal life.

Obviously this is not normal human behavior and was part of the script. Even so, it was difficult to watch. Leave him dammit! Just GO! But they never would. They always had to "save" Dr. Smith without ever explaining why they had to save him. He contributes nothing, and works against the good of the mission. Leave him dammit! Stop being so stupid and naive!
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline goatprairie

The most excruciating thing about the original series was Dr. Smith. He was openly hostile to the family, he sabotaged deliberately or accidentally every positive circumstance that the crew happened upon, and he had a very unnatural attraction to the little boy.

Even with all that, the family kept him aboard with them, even though they had dozens of chances to leave him somewhere and then to live a normal life.

Obviously this is not normal human behavior and was part of the script. Even so, it was difficult to watch. Leave him dammit! Just GO! But they never would. They always had to "save" Dr. Smith without ever explaining why they had to save him. He contributes nothing, and works against the good of the mission. Leave him dammit! Stop being so stupid and naive!
From what I've read about the original LIS it became apparent early on to the network bosses and the show's creators that Dr. Smith, played by Jonathan Harris, was the most popular character.  It seems a great many of the show's fans liked Dr. Smith (and the robot) more than they liked the other characters.
So they built most of the future episodes around Dr. Smith and the robot.
That didn't sit well with Guy Williams and June Lockhart, but that's the way things rolled after the first season. It also seems Harris and Lockhart didn't get along very well with Harris making snide comments about Lockhart's acting abilities off camera.
And Harris ended up writing and I believe directing a number of episodes.
Incidentally, Harris, who played the role of Dr. Smith in a very campy, queenish way, was actually in real life happily married to his wife for many years and they had at least one child.

Offline WingNot

I think I read somewhere that Irwin Allen was so ticked off at Williams and Lockhart (maybe after the infamous Carrot episode) he wrote them out of several episodes.  Since they were getting paid either way they didn't care.

Offline thackney

I think I read somewhere that Irwin Allen was so ticked off at Williams and Lockhart (maybe after the infamous Carrot episode) he wrote them out of several episodes.  Since they were getting paid either way they didn't care.

I had to look that one up.  Hilarious.

http://irwinallen.wikia.com/wiki/The_Great_Vegetable_Rebellion_(LiS_episode)
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

Alright!  The old memory is still firing at or above 50%!   

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

To be expected actually. Most Sci-Fi shows get lost over time. Season 5 of Babylon 5 was totally useless. I couldn't even watch it because the show was basically over, and they were painfully stringing it along with another season. This what happens when you start a series with a definite goal. Once the goal is reached, the show is more or less over.

The same thing happened with the Andromeda series. The show ended in season 4 with the establishment of the Commonwealth and the destruction of the Magog world ship. Again, the producers went on to make a painful season 5 which added nothing to the storyline except the final episodes where they destroy the abyss which could have easily been incorporated in season 4. With Andromeda you can clearly see a descent into silliness starting about the middle of season 4 as the writers were obviously running out of ideas as to what to do with the show. Even the soundtrack becomes more silly like the A-Team would have than most Sci-Fi shows would have. Some of the episodes are more slapstick and smart quips than they are about anything else.

There is a main plot line which is eventually resolved. Once it is resolved the writers reach out into crazyland thinking that the more absurd and frankly 'weird' the show is, the more sci-fi-ness it has. You can see this effect even on Star Trek TNG when it got goofy and weird. The sun battling the moon, peptide cake, and the crew experiencing reverse evolution etc., or TNG would always default to a Holodeck episode or a Lwaxana Troi episode whenever they got bored or ran out of ideas.

It has meaning man, like dude, you just didn't understand the subtle nature of it, man. Nonsense. Those episodes are just garbage filler episodes, nothing more than that. They do nothing to advance the story.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 04:18:21 pm by 240B »
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline thackney

To be expected actually. Most Sci-Fi shows get lost over time. Season 5 of Babylon 5 was totally useless. I couldn't even watch it because the show was basically over, and they were painfully stringing it along with another season. This what happens when you start a series with a definite goal. Once the goal is reached, the show is more or less over.

The same thing happened with the Andromeda series. The show ended in season 4 with the establishment of the Commonwealth and the destruction of the Magog world ship. Again, the producers went on to make a painful season 5 which added nothing to the storyline except the final episodes where they destroy the abyss which could have easily been incorporated in season 4. With Andromeda you can clearly see a descent into silliness starting about the middle of season 4 as the writers were obviously running out of ideas as to what to do with the show. Even the soundtrack becomes more silly like the A-Team would have than most Sci-Fi shows would have. Some of the episodes are more slapstick and smart quips than they are about anything else.

There is a main plot line which is eventually resolved. Once it is resolved the writers reach out into crazyland thinking that the more absurd and frankly 'weird' the show is, the more sci-fi-ness it has. You can see this effect even on Star Trek TNG when it got goofy and weird. The sun battling the moon, peptide cake, and the crew experiencing reverse evolution etc., or TNG would always default to a Holodeck episode or a Lwaxana Troi episode whenever they got bored or ran out of ideas.

It has meaning man, like dude, you just didn't understand the subtle nature of it, man. Nonsense. Those episodes are just garbage filler episodes, nothing more than that. They do nothing to advance the story.

I did NOT enjoy "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" (Season 3, Episode 23). [Laughter.] STUFFED CARROTS! Peter Packer, who was one of our best writers, came to my dressing room with his hands behind his back. I said, "Whatcha got there?" He said, "You're not going to like it. I'm so ashamed." I said, "What is it!?!" And out came The Great Vegetable Rebellion. He said, "It's dreadful. I'm thoughtless. I don't have another thought in my head!" That happens to writers. So, he said, "There it is! Do what you can."

-Jonathan Harris

https://www.dvdtalk.com/cineschlock/lostinspace/interview.html

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

According to the Wiki article, only three more shows were produced after that one, so basically it was a wrap for Williams and Lockhart.  The show had gone into mega-stoopit mode, and it was obvious Allen was just phoning that chit in.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

According to the Wiki article, only three more shows were produced after that one, so basically it was a wrap for Williams and Lockhart.  The show had gone into mega-stoopit mode, and it was obvious Allen was just phoning that chit in.

The cast fully expected the show to return for a 4th season.  They had finished a season wrap party and were looking forward to a short vacation.  I can't find the reason for cancellation.  But I read somewhere Irwin scuttled it with the network so he could get another of his shows on the air.  Who knows.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I did NOT enjoy "The Great Vegetable Rebellion" (Season 3, Episode 23). [Laughter.] STUFFED CARROTS! Peter Packer, who was one of our best writers, came to my dressing room with his hands behind his back. I said, "Whatcha got there?" He said, "You're not going to like it. I'm so ashamed." I said, "What is it!?!" And out came The Great Vegetable Rebellion. He said, "It's dreadful. I'm thoughtless. I don't have another thought in my head!" That happens to writers. So, he said, "There it is! Do what you can."

-Jonathan Harris

I've read a few accounts of the "behind the scenes" stuff of the show.  Angela Cartwright and Billy Mumy wrote a book about it called "Lost (and found) in Space."  They said they liked Jonathon Harris, he was protective of the kids on the show.  It was all they could do to not crack up at his silly alliterations when yelling at the Robot.  Guy Williams hated Harris, because Harris stole the spotlight with his antics.  I guess Harris never got a real contract to do the show, which is why he was always billed as "Special Guest star."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The cast fully expected the show to return for a 4th season.  They had finished a season wrap party and were looking forward to a short vacation.  I can't find the reason for cancellation.  But I read somewhere Irwin scuttled it with the network so he could get another of his shows on the air.  Who knows.

I was a kid at the time, and I figured it was too stupid to live.  I guess the carrot thing was the last straw for a lot of people.  It's bad when the head writer is apologizing to the special guest star for the script.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

I've read a few accounts of the "behind the scenes" stuff of the show.  Angela Cartwright and Billy Mumy wrote a book about it called "Lost (and found) in Space."  They said they liked Jonathon Harris, he was protective of the kids on the show.  It was all they could do to not crack up at his silly alliterations when yelling at the Robot.  Guy Williams hated Harris, because Harris stole the spotlight with his antics.  I guess Harris never got a real contract to do the show, which is why he was always billed as "Special Guest star."

I think that "Special guest Star" billing was written into his contract. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I think that "Special guest Star" billing was written into his contract.

Pretty sure it was a pay thing.  Probably why Williams hated Harris.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

Offline WingNot

I found the answer.   

Scroll down to "That Terrible Man".  and then A 'Special Guest Star' is born.

@Cyber Liberty
@thackney
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:04:32 pm by Wingnut »

Offline goatprairie

Think of those days when many shows had 39 new episodes every season. Think of the writers desperately trying to come up with new ideas.
It seems many of the old westerns had similar plot devices:
 the hero is going to be hanged by mistake and his family or friends have to save him,
or the hero has to stop an innocent person from being hanged.
 the hero did somebody wrong during the Civil War or somewhere and somebody is seeking vengeance
the hero falls in love but the love interest contracts a terrible disease and dies ....or is killed defending the hero from the vengeance-seeking stranger.
the bank was or is being robbed and the hero has to stop the robbery or catch the robbers
the fast gun is in town and the hero must face down the fast gun.
The crooked banker or big man in town who controls everything and the hero takes him down and frees the townpeople.
All those.
If they didn't want to repeat those plot devices they could always go to the quicksand episodes. Yes, it seemed quicksand was everywhere in  the west and people were constantly falling into the stuff and just barely getting out.
The Evil Twin or hero lookalike episodes were also fairly common.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:27:22 pm by goatprairie »

Offline musiclady

I completely agree with this, @240B .

It was agonizing for me to watch this show because of the sinister behavior of Smith and the idiocy of everyone else.

I started watching it because Guy Williams was cute as Zorro  888heartkitty, and I thought the show would be fun.  It was at first, but then just made me mad, so I stopped watching altogether.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I found the answer.   

Scroll down to "That Terrible Man".  and then A 'Special Guest Star' is born.

@Cyber Liberty
@thackney

What a crack-up.  I suddenly like Jonathon Harris a lot more, GRHS.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It was agonizing for me to watch this show because of the sinister behavior of Smith and the idiocy of everyone else.

I started watching it because Guy Williams was cute as Zorro  888heartkitty, and I thought the show would be fun.  It was at first, but then just made me mad, so I stopped watching altogether.

Harris talked about the Dr. Smith character in the link Wingnut posted.  Irwin Allen wanted the truly nasty character at first (at first he was an agent of a hostile government), but Harris didn't like doing that kind of villain, so he started working in some comedic aspects.  Allen came in one day and Harris thought he was going to get reamed for it, but Allen liked it, and gave him free reign with the character. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

I started watching it because Guy Williams was cute as Zorro  888heartkitty , and I thought the show would be fun.  It was at first, but then just made me mad, so I stopped watching altogether.
@musiclady

Me too. Exactly as you said it. It just made me mad to watch Dr. Smith, who is the traitor who sabotaged the ship by the way, and is responsible for the situation that they are all in, to get away with treachery after treachery. And the family acts like they are totally oblivious.

I know it is only a stupid sitcom, but that is not my kind of entertainment. All I could think is, How can people be that stupid and naive? There is no question that he, Dr. Smith, would have dumped them anywhere with no food or water and would have stolen the ship at the first opportunity if he could.

How his character could have become 'popular', as they say, is a mystery to me. I kept hoping he would get into some accident or get left behind somehow. He was not popular with me.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 05:31:23 pm by 240B »

Offline thackney

Think of those days when many shows had 39 new episodes every season. Think of the writers desperately trying to come up with new ideas.
It seems many of the old westerns had similar plot devices:
 the hero is going to be hanged by mistake and his family or friends have to save him,
or the hero has to stop an innocent person from being hanged.
 the hero did somebody wrong during the Civil War or somewhere and somebody is seeking vengeance
the hero falls in love but the love interest contracts a terrible disease and dies ....or is killed defending the hero from the vengeance-seeking stranger.
the bank was or is being robbed and the hero has to stop the robbery or catch the robbers
the fast gun is in town and the hero must face down the fast gun.
The crooked banker or big man in town who controls everything and the hero takes him down and frees the townpeople.
All those.
If they didn't want to repeat those plot devices they could always go to the quicksand episodes. Yes, it seemed quicksand was over the west and people were constantly falling into the stuff and just barely getting out.
The Evil Twin or hero lookalike episodes were also fairly common.

Gunsmoke had 635 episodes.

When you think about it, it is amazing they didn't have a cowboys versus aliens episode.