Author Topic: Federal agents demand documents from 77 Northern California businesses in immigration sweep  (Read 488 times)

rangerrebew

Federal agents demand documents from 77 Northern California businesses in immigration sweep

By Alene Tchekmedyian
Feb 01, 2018 | 9:20 PM
Dozens of Northern California businesses were ordered to prove that their employees are authorized to work in the U.S.

Federal agents this week ordered dozens of Northern California businesses to prove that their employees are authorized to work in the U.S., heightening tensions between state and federal officials over immigration policies.

Employers at 77 businesses were given three workdays to turn over records that show their employees are in compliance with federal law, said James Schwab, a spokesman with Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-norcal-immigration-sweep-20180201-story.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 01:18:34 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
Ugh, I can't tell from the article if this is a warrant or subpoena.  I hope so, because otherwise the businesses could get hit by the state if they turn over records.

Oops I had missed that this is a couple of weeks old.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 08:32:06 pm by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I thought the Feds could walk in at anytime and demand documents, of course business owners don't have to immediately comply unless there is a court order, but they can't put it off for long and it is really hard to come up with convincing documentation for all your employees in a couple of days, especially the ones who may have left.

Sometimes the fake documents people come up with are really bad photocopies other time they are so good you can't tell the difference, but there is no question when you get that letter from the IRS asking for verification on a social.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:48:00 pm by GtHawk »

Offline DB

Don't let California export their illegals to other states!

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Don't let California export their illegals to other states!
That's kind of ridiculous since the illegals are and have been going to other states directly, or did you think all of Texas's illegals came from California? Or the ones on the east coast.?