Author Topic: Signs Your Loved One Has Bipolar Disorder  (Read 565 times)

rangerrebew

Signs Your Loved One Has Bipolar Disorder
« on: February 19, 2018, 01:11:20 pm »
 Signs Your Loved One Has Bipolar Disorder

By Kathleen Hall
Reviewed by QualityHealth's Medical Advisory Board

Bipolar disorder, a serious mental health condition, is the sixth leading cause of disability among 15 to 44-year olds. Complicating things, many individuals with bipolar disorder also have high rates of co-existing psychiatric and medical conditions.

Unfortunately, bipolar disease is difficult to diagnose because the symptoms can vary widely in pattern, severity, and frequency. Up to 70 percent of bipolar patients are initially misdiagnosed, delaying appropriate treatment or subjecting patients to ineffective treatments.

https://www.qualityhealth.com/bipolar-disorder-articles/signs-your-loved-has-bipolar-disorder
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 01:12:19 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Victoria33

Re: Signs Your Loved One Has Bipolar Disorder
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:39:17 pm »
@rangerrebew
@Freya

Bipolar Disorder used to be "Manic-Depressive Disorder".  It was not a popular diagnosis to have; then the name was changed to "Bipolar Disorder", and it was popular to have this diagnosis.  I thought it was ridiculous to change the name and change the characteristics so more people could have this diagnosis.  I knew a counselor who worked in a women's shelter and she did not have the ability to test people, but she would label almost every woman who came to her, with "Bipolar" as she called them.  I did not use that diagnosis unless the behaviors were manic-depressive.  Bipolar means two extreme ends of behavior.  The patient is either frantic with wild behavior, or down in the dumps, depressed, doing nothing, and these two behaviors change rapidly.  That is real Bipolar Disorder, or by its first name, Manic-Depressive Disorder.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 01:52:11 pm »
@Victoria33

My first psych class in college we used the DSM III R. It was manic depression.

The next course, a year later used the new DSM IV, and suddenly we had Biplolar 1, 2 3 or NOS.

My astronomy classes were just as weird with all the different moons of Jupiter and Saturn being added. At least Pluto was still a planet.

I don't have the DSM 5 but it's a nightmare the way everything has been re classified.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 02:10:00 pm »
@Victoria33
My first psych class in college we used the DSM III R. It was manic depression.
The next course, a year later used the new DSM IV, and suddenly we had Biplolar 1, 2 3 or NOS.
I don't have the DSM 5 but it's a nightmare the way everything has been re classified.
@Freya

I have a DSM 5 and the liberals have really screwed it up.  "Feelings" are now super important, rather than behaviors. 

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:36:56 pm »
@Freya

I have a DSM 5 and the liberals have really screwed it up.  "Feelings" are now super important, rather than behaviors.

Yes, they messed up autistic spectrum, imho. And added a coffee addiction. (Caffeine)

Everyone  i know would be mentally ill because they have two cups of coffee a day.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »
I dated a Biploar and we are still good friends. She was unnecessarily violent. She slapped me once for nothing. It was as if that's just what she wanted to do. That was the end of the relationship.
She is on meds for everything. All the bipolar people I know feel entitled to act out because "They can't help it"
Countdown to Resignation

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 01:05:54 am »
Yes, they messed up autistic spectrum, imho. And added a coffee addiction. (Caffeine)

Everyone  i know would be mentally ill because they have two cups of coffee a day.

Freya, could you explain more about them screwing up the autism spectrum?

@Freya
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 07:40:20 am by LauraTXNM »
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 01:13:31 am »
I dated a Biploar and we are still good friends. She was unnecessarily violent. She slapped me once for nothing. It was as if that's just what she wanted to do. That was the end of the relationship.
She is on meds for everything. All the bipolar people I know feel entitled to act out because "They can't help it"

I was engaged to someone who was manic-depressive and could be violent.  After a lot of problems, we both went to therapy and he went to a psychiatrist and started taking medication.  But he didn't like the way they made him feel; he said he "couldn't get angry" any more.  It was getting too dangerous to stay when he wouldn't take them, so I left.

I'm sorry you went through that. 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:18 am »
Up to 70 percent of bipolar patients are initially misdiagnosed, delaying appropriate treatment or subjecting patients to ineffective treatments.

It would be common sense, to be very skeptical of a discipline and a condition, with that error rate.

My sister was diagnosed 40 years ago with Depression. Her's is unipolar; just depression. She has stayed on her meds.

Most young people have been indoctrinated to the coolness, of being victims. Cool kids have tattoos, bipolar, gender issues, blue or pink hair, piercings etc.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln