Author Topic: Top GOP donor: 'I will not write another check' until candidates support assault weapons ban  (Read 2530 times)

Offline endicom

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Hoffman is a real estate magnate in Florida who sided with Hillary and opposed Trump's election.

Which means he was originally a JEB supporter. I can't say I can blame him for wanting to keep quiet about supporting JEB and Hillary. Who would want to admit to something like that in public?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline endicom

Hoffman is going to back the Jebutantes of the Republican Party so I say we are better off without him.

Offline verga

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

You all, I’m seriously (and obviously) gun ignorant and trying to educate myself.  I grew up around them and believe in having them in the home.  But I was always reading and only did target practice a few times with my dad.   My sister lived out on the farm road and  kept a sawed off shotgun under her bed for protection.   My dad went hunting, but I was a “girl” so never went. 

I know the AR15 looks “scary”, but why is it so popular?  Is it faster than other rifles?  I’ve been reading about it not being as “high powered” as other long guns.  Why does everyone buy them?

And please, I don’t want to ask you all to do my research ;).   If you have links you could share, I’m happy to read on my own.

May I recommend:

Modern Sporting Rifle Facts
https://www.nssf.org/msr/

I think the interchangeable customization ability from standard components across most manufactures is the real reason for the popularity, along with relatively cheap ammo.

What is it about this particular weapon that makes it so attractive to gun collectors, shooting range enthusiasts and mass murderers? Part of the rifle's appeal, according to experts, is its versatility — the modular AR-15 can be modified, assembled from scratch, colored, customized and rebuilt with just a few simple tools and a limited amount of technical know-how.

"Because it's so modular, you can build the firearm the way that you want it, and it can be like nobody else's firearm. It's about personalization," Jay Duncan, vice president of sales at gun retailer Daniel Defense, told Wired. Indeed, the AR-15 has several Facebook pages, including one with more than 170,000 fans, where issues like mags (magazines), barrels, lasers, scopes and other gun bling are discussed.

"I always tease that it's like Legos for grown men," Duncan said, "because there's plenty of guys that get one, two, six ARs. And they're constantly tinkering with them — changing barrel lengths, changing optics, putting different sights on them. It's the same reason that a guy gets into remote-controlled cars or fly-tying [fishing]. Because it's a fun hobby, and it's a distraction from reality sometimes."

More at: What Makes the AR-15 Rifle 'America's Gun'?
https://www.livescience.com/39719-ar-15-rifle-americas-gun-assault-weapon.html

also:

Why the AR-15 is America's Most Popular Rifle
https://www.nrablog.com/articles/2016/1/why-the-ar15-is-americas-most-popular-rifle/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 08:56:22 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline thackney

And please, I don’t want to ask you all to do my research ;).   If you have links you could share, I’m happy to read on my own.

This article reminded me of another major factor for popularity, low recoil.  It is not punishing to the shooter, even a very small, physically weak shooter to shoot for an extended period of time.

This gives the perspective of different users for their reason to choose an AR15.

Sticking to their gun
http://interactives.dallasnews.com/2016/gun-owners/#_ga=2.158790458.10324857.1518987516-687419617.1518987515
Aficionados say the AR-15 is ideal for civilian sport shooting, self-defense
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline dfwgator

It's your money, pal.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
THackney, thank you so much for all the info and sources!  I have a lot of research to do ;).
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
This guy is FOS and engaging in a PR move.  People like Gates and Buffett say flowery things to keep the Occupy Wall St types away.  This donor is engaging in the same tactics.  He's not giving large sums because he's such a great guy.  Money greases wheels, gains influence, and creates kingmakers.  He won't stop giving.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline roamer_1

The AR platform is very simple the operate, has low recoil, is easily customizable, and accurate.  The smaller caliber ammo is light, so more can be carried.  The ballistic performance inside 200M is more than good enough to cause massive wounds and death.  It’s not as high-powered as 7.62, but it’s more controllable in full auto fire for suppression.  There’s always a trade off in any weapon.

@edpc
While correct, I don't know if it is fair to leave it at that. I think the point-in-fact is 'looks scary' which has been unfairly assigned to the AR platform, largely in ignorance. Any modern rifle, designed around modular, light weight aspects, with rail mounted options is going to 'look scary' and be assumed by the uninitiated to be an 'AR', which is synonymous with the absurd notion of 'assault weapon'.

As an instance I am looking at a modern long range rifle, built around a Remington 700 action in a 300win caliber.  Because it is largely carbon fiber (big, fat barrel looks like a silencer *GASP*), clip fed, with a collapsible (adjustable) butt, a hole-punched titanium hand rest, and a big, rail mounted scope,  no doubt it falls handily into the 'looks scary' 'assault weapon' genre.  What it is in fact, is a hunting rifle for extreme long distance, designed to be very light weight  for the long hike in.

To wit: ANY rifle or shotgun platform of any caliber can be made to look like an 'assault weapon'. Part of that is no doubt for the cool ('looks scary' in liberal speak), but it is largely because of the utility and light weight that comes with modern designs.

@LauraTXNM

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
@edpc
While correct, I don't know if it is fair to leave it at that. I think the point-in-fact is 'looks scary' which has been unfairly assigned to the AR platform, largely in ignorance. Any modern rifle, designed around modular, light weight aspects, with rail mounted options is going to 'look scary' and be assumed by the uninitiated to be an 'AR', which is synonymous with the absurd notion of 'assault weapon'.

As an instance I am looking at a modern long range rifle, built around a Remington 700 action in a 300win caliber.  Because it is largely carbon fiber (big, fat barrel looks like a silencer *GASP*), clip fed, with a collapsible (adjustable) butt, a hole-punched titanium hand rest, and a big, rail mounted scope,  no doubt it falls handily into the 'looks scary' 'assault weapon' genre.  What it is in fact, is a hunting rifle for extreme long distance, designed to be very light weight  for the long hike in.

To wit: ANY rifle or shotgun platform of any caliber can be made to look like an 'assault weapon'. Part of that is no doubt for the cool ('looks scary' in liberal speak), but it is largely because of the utility and light weight that comes with modern designs.

@LauraTXNM

Thanks, Roamer! 
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline NavyCanDo

You all, I’m seriously (and obviously) gun ignorant and trying to educate myself.  I grew up around them and believe in having them in the home.  But I was always reading and only did target practice a few times with my dad.   My sister lived out on the farm road and  kept a sawed off shotgun under her bed for protection.   My dad went hunting, but I was a “girl” so never went. 

I know the AR15 looks “scary”, but why is it so popular?  Is it faster than other rifles?  I’ve been reading about it not being as “high powered” as other long guns.  Why does everyone buy them?

One word that make them so popular. Customizable

Something I can't do with my much more powerful and deadly Remington 30-06 hunting rifle with its beautiful wood stock is hang a Tac Light on it, and an Aimpoint PRO red dot sight, a lazer, and customized grip, and a six position stock. None of this needed on my hunting rifle, but on a home defense weapon or one used to kill destructive wild pigs, this stuff is indespensible.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@edpc

As an instance I am looking at a modern long range rifle, built around a Remington 700 action in a 300win caliber.

@roamer_1  The one rifle I used to have that I miss more than any other is my old 300 H&H Magnum with a 3x9 Redfield scope. I could get 3 shot groupings that touched at 100 meters with it. Plus I just love the look of that long,tapered case,and I am one of those who believe the straight tapered cases make for more uniform ignition and more accurate shots than the ones that are blown out and have sharp shoulders.

I just remembered. I bought a rifle in gunsmith school that you would love to have. My own design wildcat based around a .348 Winchester case necked up to .375 caliber in a Siamese Mauser,back when you could buy a good one for 50 bucks. I could get 375 H & H velocities out of a medium length action with picked loads. I gave it to a friend who is an avid hunter several years ago after I basically lost interest in shooting rifles. Something like that sure would be a sweet daily carry rifle for someone that lives in the mountains.

Offline goodwithagun

« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:33:10 am by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1  The one rifle I used to have that I miss more than any other is my old 300 H&H Magnum with a 3x9 Redfield scope. I could get 3 shot groupings that touched at 100 meters with it. Plus I just love the look of that long,tapered case,and I am one of those who believe the straight tapered cases make for more uniform ignition and more accurate shots than the ones that are blown out and have sharp shoulders.

I just remembered. I bought a rifle in gunsmith school that you would love to have. My own design wildcat based around a .348 Winchester case necked up to .375 caliber in a Siamese Mauser,back when you could buy a good one for 50 bucks. I could get 375 H & H velocities out of a medium length action with picked loads. I gave it to a friend who is an avid hunter several years ago after I basically lost interest in shooting rifles. Something like that sure would be a sweet daily carry rifle for someone that lives in the mountains.

@sneakypete

To tell the truth, I am having trouble with 300win... Back in the day I ran a Remington 700 in 7mm mag with that same 3x9 Redfield... And I could drive tacks with it WAY out there. But in my opinion, at range, because of the small bullet, it ran out of smack. Great for antelope, but not a good elk rifle. Twice I have had to chase elk down, where the shot was good... Just not enough poo left in it...

So when I got out of the chair a while back,  I bought a 700Rem 300WinMag, hoping the extra weight would allow the shot to retain knock-down power further out. I've got a Shepherd P1 scope on it, and YES, it has more poop at a distance, but at 400 yards (still pretty short, really), I am hard pressed to keep it in a pie plate. Can't figure it out.  I floated the stock, and then had a professional go back and check my work... Been on the dial with that P1 several times... I even built a bolt-down bench to take 'me' out of it... Some of it, I am almost sure, is the wind blowing the round around more than the 7mm.

And some of it is a spirit thing - For me, technical shooting has it's limits. I don't know how else to say it other than that I have to feel it.  And I can't get that touch. I know that sounds dumb, but it's there. Ain't got my mojo.

That's part of why I am looking at this high-tech rig...

As for EDC in the woods, you won't get me off of a lever action carbine... Been on a model 94 Winchester .30/30  for ever, though again, I bumped it up after the wheelchair... I am running a Marlin 45/70 now, and I won't ever have anything else. That big, fat slow moving round goes right exactly where you put it in the brush, with zero deflection every time. I don't need speed and range in the bush. I need it to bull through anything and go where I put it at open sight distances... Hardly ever get a shot over 75 yards anyway.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@sneakypete

To tell the truth, I am having trouble with 300win... Back in the day I ran a Remington 700 in 7mm mag with that same 3x9 Redfield... And I could drive tacks with it WAY out there. But in my opinion, at range, because of the small bullet, it ran out of smack. Great for antelope, but not a good elk rifle. Twice I have had to chase elk down, where the shot was good... Just not enough poo left in it...

So when I got out of the chair a while back,  I bought a 700Rem 300WinMag, hoping the extra weight would allow the shot to retain knock-down power further out. I've got a Shepherd P1 scope on it, and YES, it has more poop at a distance, but at 400 yards (still pretty short, really), I am hard pressed to keep it in a pie plate. Can't figure it out.  I floated the stock, and then had a professional go back and check my work... Been on the dial with that P1 several times... I even built a bolt-down bench to take 'me' out of it... Some of it, I am almost sure, is the wind blowing the round around more than the 7mm.

And some of it is a spirit thing - For me, technical shooting has it's limits. I don't know how else to say it other than that I have to feel it.  And I can't get that touch. I know that sounds dumb, but it's there. Ain't got my mojo.

As for EDC in the woods, you won't get me off of a lever action carbine... Been on a model 94 Winchester .30/30  for ever, though again, I bumped it up after the wheelchair... I am running a Marlin 45/70 now, and I won't ever have anything else. That big, fat slow moving round goes right exactly where you put it in the brush, with zero deflection every time. I don't need speed and range in the bush. I need it to bull through anything and go where I put it at open sight distances... Hardly ever get a shot over 75 yards anyway.

@roamer_1
I have a Savage .300WM with that exact same Shepard mounted.  It will do 2" groups @ 300 yds all day long with federal 180gr.  Even better with my handloads.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:10:26 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1
I have a Savage .300WM with that exact same Shepard mounted.  It will do 2" groups @ 300 yds all day long with federal 180gr.  Even better with my handloads.

@Bigun
Yeah, I know. It's a good rig. Like I say, I don't know why. My buddy has a big leupold scope coming this spring... And we're going to throw that on mine to take the scope out of the deal, and see if I do better.

Part of it is my eyeballs, pretty sure - though the magnification should offset that.  Dunno.  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

@roamer_1

BTW, I BUILT that rifle,not "bought" it. Did it as a learning project. Even had a half-octagon and half-round barrel,and a Birdseye maple stock. That stock is something I am never doing again.

As for your 300 win being that inaccurage,you have already bedded the action and floated the barrel,right? If you have done both,my suggestion is to take it to a competent gunsmith or send it off to the Colorado School of Trades or some other gunsmith school (don't they have one in Mt now?) and have them lap the locking lugs into the receiver,and machine the end of the action and the end of the barrel to perfect 90 degree flats. Of course,after they do this they will have to run a finish reamer into the chamber because the barrel will be set back from the lug lapping and shouldering the barrel. Make sure you tell whoever does this job that your preferred bullet is a xxx grain xxx manufactuer seated to a loaded OAL of xxx.xx inches and loaded in cases by xxx manufacturer. It just makes you feel good all over to chamber a round that fits like a glove,plus they shoot pretty damn good,too.

Yeah,I know the old "free bore versus no free bore" arguments. MY thoughts on this is to have the bullet VERY lightly kissing the lands and grooves as the bolt snugs down. That's why you have to tell them case and bullet manufacturer,as well as the overall loaded length.

Yeah,I will take a 336 Marlin over a 94 Winchester any day of the week,and the 45/70 carbine version would be my pick of the litter. For dangerous game up close,I want a bullet as heavy as I can fit in the case,and if it has a wadcutter  nose,mo betta. Screw a bunch of over-penetration. You want it to hit hard and mean something every time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 03:45:36 am by sneakypete »

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@roamer_1

BTW, I BUILT that rifle,not "bought" it. Did it as a learning project. Even had a half-octagon and half-round barrel,and a Birdseye maple stock. That stock is something I am never doing again.

As for your 300 win being that inaccurage,you have already bedded the action and floated the barrel,right? If you have done both,my suggestion is to take it to a competent gunsmith or send it off to the Colorado School of Trades or some other gunsmith school (don't they have one in Mt now?) and have them lap the locking lugs into the receiver,and machine the end of the action and the end of the barrel to perfect 90 degree flats. Of course,after they do this they will have to run a finish reamer into the chamber because the barrel will be set back from the lug lapping and shouldering the barrel. Make sure you tell whoever does this job that your preferred bullet is a xxx grain xxx manufactuer seated to a loaded OAL of xxx.xx inches and loaded in cases by xxx manufacturer. It just makes you feel good all over to chamber a round that fits like a glove,plus they shoot pretty damn good,too.

Yeah,I know the old "free bore versus no free bore" arguments. MY thoughts on this is to have the bullet VERY lightly kissing the lands and grooves as the bolt snugs down. That's why you have to tell them case and bullet manufacturer,as well as the overall loaded length.

Yeah,I will take a 336 Marlin over a 94 Winchester any day of the week,and the 45/70 carbine version would be my pick of the litter. For dangerous game up close,I want a bullet as heavy as I can fit in the case,and if it has a wadcutter  nose,mo betta. Screw a bunch of over-penetration. You want it to hit hard and mean something every time.

@ sneakypete

Won't go into detail about what I  do in loading rounds for my bolt guns. Just suffice it to say it is meticulous and the results show it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 04:10:32 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

@sneakypete
That's something! Funny tho, the stock is the easy part for me...

As for your 300 win being that inaccurage,you have already bedded the action and floated the barrel,right? If you have done both,my suggestion is to take it to a competent gunsmith or send it off to the Colorado School of Trades or some other gunsmith school (don't they have one in Mt now?)

I have a whole lot of faith in my smithy. He says it's sound as hell. Though I have all the fixins to change it out to .458, to include a brand new barrel, and if I can't figure it out pretty soon, I am gonna cave to his suggestion that I do the conversion and see about that. That was my intention in the first place, but I would kinda like to run the 300WinMag and get it figured out.

Another part of the problem is a measured range where I can stretch that puppy out. Same range and conditions every time...  An old vet buddy of mine has 900 yds mapped out, but he's way back in... If I am doing good this spring, I will go up there for a coupe weeks, and I will be able to dial it in good.

I am hoping to go to Leupold's long range class this fall - Another reason I am looking at that high tech gun - And I would really like to have my mojo back for that. Hard telling. Dang near 10 years stuck in that chair, never seeing farther than 15ft... Never touching a gun... Shit has changed.

But thanks for your suggestions - I will pass them along.

Fitted mine with the tube off the cowboy, cut down of course, but left as long as I could. Put a merc balancer up at the top and lost a round... put another merc in the stock, and she shoots like budda.
Best thing I ever had.

damn right on the heavy, btw. I cross the tops.

Offline Meldrew

And while we're here talking AR's let it be noted that "AR" stands for Armalite - the company that designed and first built them - not "assault rifle".  Don't let 'em tell ya any different.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
 And I would really like to have my mojo back for that. Hard telling. Dang near 10 years stuck in that chair, never seeing farther than 15ft... Never touching a gun... Shit has changed.

@roamer_1

Yeah,I know all about changed circumstances. 3 emergency surgeries,COPD,and a stroke,plus a couple of scheduled surgeries,and a little more than 10 years down before I could get well enough to try to get better. Now I have arthritis in both shoulders and both knees,and my hands are so messed up the ER tech couldn't tell on the x-ray if my hand was broken again or not because of the arthritis in it. COPD is the mountain too tall to climb,though. When you lose your wind,you have nothing left.

Still,it could be worse,and I'm a little surprised it isn't.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1

Yeah,I know all about changed circumstances. 3 emergency surgeries,COPD,and a stroke,plus a couple of scheduled surgeries,and a little more than 10 years down before I could get well enough to try to get better. Now I have arthritis in both shoulders and both knees,and my hands are so messed up the ER tech couldn't tell on the x-ray if my hand was broken again or not because of the arthritis in it. COPD is the mountain too tall to climb,though. When you lose your wind,you have nothing left.

Still,it could be worse,and I'm a little surprised it isn't.

@sneakypete

Huh... As luck would have it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtL1fEEtLaA

https://stemcellstransplantinstitute.com/copd/

Sister approached with this stuff... looking into it for my mom, who has RA pretty bad... And my sis has serious immune system stuff going on.
Dunno, jussayin...  :shrug:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Huh... As luck would have it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtL1fEEtLaA

https://stemcellstransplantinstitute.com/copd/

Sister approached with this stuff... looking into it for my mom, who has RA pretty bad... And my sis has serious immune system stuff going on.
Dunno, jussayin...  :shrug:

@roamer_1

Thanks for the links. They are very interesting,but I just can't afford either.