Author Topic: Feinstein to introduce bill raising minimum age for rifle purchases  (Read 1357 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Feinstein to introduce bill raising minimum age for rifle purchases
By Jordain Carney - 02/16/18 07:13 PM EST

Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said on Friday that she will introduce legislation to raise the minimum legal age to buy rifles in the wake of a school shooting in Florida.

Feinstein said the legislation would require anyone buying a firearm from a gun dealer to be at least 21 years old.

“Under current law, licensed gun dealers cannot sell a handgun to anyone under 21, but they are allowed to sell assault rifles like the AR-15 to anyone over 18. This policy is dangerous and makes absolutely no sense," Feinstein said.

She added that "if you can’t buy a handgun or a bottle of beer, you shouldn’t be able to buy an AR-15."

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/374330-feinstein-to-introduce-bill-raising-minimum-age-for-rifle-purchases
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Re: Feinstein to introduce bill raising minimum age for rifle purchases
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 04:08:57 pm »
Introduce away you  Cali Commie
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 04:14:46 pm »
I think the idea of a drinking age at 21 is stupid.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 04:20:46 pm »

They tried that social experiment a while back. Feds Lowed the age to 18. States set the bar as they felt fit for there yutes.  It failed miserably. 

It will never be revisited.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 04:29:26 pm »
What good would new gun laws be when the Federal government cannot or will not enforce the laws already on the books?

Perhaps if Nikolas Cruz had been accused of colluding with the Russians to help Donald Trump, the FBI would've done something about it.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 04:34:01 pm »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 04:36:40 pm »
Under current law, licensed gun dealers cannot sell a handgun to anyone under 21, but they are allowed to sell assault rifles like the AR-15 to anyone over 18. This policy is dangerous and makes absolutely no sense," Feinstein said.

She added that "if you can’t buy a handgun or a bottle of beer, you shouldn’t be able to buy an AR-15."

Like it not, the point has some legitimacy.  Either laws are changed to allow 18 year old teenagers to buy alcohol and handguns or it's changed to raise the age to purchase rifles to 21.

Offline edpc

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 04:58:43 pm »
Like it not, the point has some legitimacy.  Either laws are changed to allow 18 year old teenagers to buy alcohol and handguns or it's changed to raise the age to purchase rifles to 21.

I’ll tell you what’s even dumber.  An 18 year old can go buy a lever action rifle in .357 or .44 cal, but not the ammo, because it’s handgun caliber.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 05:11:44 pm by edpc »

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 05:04:44 pm »
 :facepalm2:

Offline bilo

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2018, 06:28:23 pm »
Once the emotion of this tragedy goes away maybe it's time to end the gun free zones at schools. Let teachers and security people carry concealed weapons.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2018, 06:40:01 pm »

Particularly since you can be a marine at 18.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2018, 06:41:58 pm »

Look.  We all know that all the gun laws in the world will not stop crooks and creeps from buying any gun they want.

She's only doing this to show how much 'she cares.'

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 06:43:03 pm »
Once the emotion of this tragedy goes away maybe it's time to end the gun free zones at schools. Let teachers and security people carry concealed weapons.

Yes.  We could let designated people carry guns at school or we could call the FBI and see how fast they can get there.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
Adam Lanza stole guns from his mother to commit the Newtown massacre. This is a waste of effort.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online libertybele

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 08:58:42 pm »

I tend to agree with you; schools should no longer be gun free zones. However, it's going to be difficult to convince the 'liberal' school system to do so and I think you will be hard pressed to find teachers willing to carry.  Therefore, I think we need to have armed security officers within the schools.  At least in my area schools have implemented checks and balances and have redesigned the entry ways into schools.  School entry ways are gated and locked during school hours and the only point of entry is through the office; one must sign in and show identification and a valid reason for being on site or you don't gain entry into the hallways.  IMHO, this is the least that every school should do. We have several older schools with multiple points of entry, but those points have at least been fenced with chain link.  Also, IMHO, I believe an armed security officer should be in the office (or at least on campus), and at least one other in a centralized location within the school grounds. The schools around here also have fencing around the playground areas, outside tennis courts, swimming pools, etc. TV monitors should also be installed so that the security officers can monitor activity on site and on the grounds. These barriers and safety measures would offer greater security to our students and faculty.  Nothing is 100% foolproof, but it's a heck of a lot better than having gun-free schools with no barriers. Ass we continue to witness; those schools are just an accident waiting to happen.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 10:00:51 pm »
Particularly since you can be a marine at 18.
I have been informed that you can join the marines at age 17 with parental consent.  Perhaps the drinking age and gun ownership should be reduced to 17 with parental consent.  My own opinion is if the government will let you fight and die at 17 with parental consent, perhaps gun ownership and booze should be permitted with parental consent.

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 10:10:13 pm »

I’ll tell you what’s even dumber.  An 18 year old can go buy a lever action rifle in .357 or .44 cal, but not the ammo, because it’s handgun caliber.

Be careful here, @edpc  ... You're begging them to modify the law so that no weapon should be bought by teenagers.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 10:17:45 pm »

No legitimacy whatsoever, @Right_in_Virginia .
I was drinking when I was fourteen, and hunting way before that. Preventing kids from getting guns is going to work exactly as well as preventing kids from buying alcohol. IOW, not at all.

Offline edpc

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 11:29:26 pm »
Be careful here, @edpc  ... You're begging them to modify the law so that no weapon should be bought by teenagers.

I’ve already said where I stood on this subject in the other thread where age was brought up.  IMO, if you can legally enter a contract, vote, and fight for your country at 18 - you should be able to buy firearms and alcohol. 

One of my college professors was an Army Captain during Vietnam, in the late 60s.  He often mentioned how ludicrous it was to hand out absentee ballots in his unit and know a great deal of soldiers under his command had no say in the matter.

« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2018, 02:34:11 am »
No legitimacy whatsoever, @Right_in_Virginia .
I was drinking when I was fourteen, and hunting way before that. Preventing kids from getting guns is going to work exactly as well as preventing kids from buying alcohol. IOW, not at all.

I'm in no position to comment on your adolescence @roamer_1  .... but if this question is raised from the well of the Senate:  If a teenager cannot buy alcohol or a handgun ... why is he or she legally able to buy a rifle?  --- a better answer than the one you posted above will be needed.

Just sayin'  :shrug:

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 02:37:22 am »

I’ve already said where I stood on this subject in the other thread where age was brought up.  IMO, if you can legally enter a contract, vote, and fight for your country at 18 - you should be able to buy firearms and alcohol. 

One of my college professors was an Army Captain during Vietnam, in the late 60s.  He often mentioned how ludicrous it was to hand out absentee ballots in his unit and know a great deal of soldiers under his command had no say in the matter.

Agreed.  The age for "adulthood" should be consistent.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 02:44:51 am »
I'm in no position to comment on your adolescence @roamer_1  .... but if this question is raised from the well of the Senate:  If a teenager cannot buy alcohol or a handgun ... why is he or she legally able to buy a rifle?  --- a better answer than the one you posted above will be needed.

Just sayin'  :shrug:

@Right_in_Virginia

I see that quite the other way around. - So is it your contention that a teenager cannot hunt either? Pretty much everyone I know was blooded long before 18, most in white tail, muley, and elk, at the least. How does that happen without a rifle?

As to the pistol, if a kid can trap, he needs a pistol to dispatch any animal that is live caught... Is it your intention that no one under 18 can trap?

Most everyone I know got their first rifle at between 8 and 12 years old (to include my sons). Is that so very against your sensibilities?

Not that it would matter if it is. Your laws will stop none of it.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 02:47:11 am by roamer_1 »

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2018, 03:00:41 am »
Just die you bitch, just effin' die.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 03:02:39 am »
@Right_in_Virginia
.... Your laws will stop none of it.

These are not "my" laws @roamer_1  ... I'm simply suggesting a better answer to the question that will be raised is needed to prevent more restrictions.

That's all.   :shrug:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2018, 03:04:21 am »
These are not "my" laws @roamer_1  ... I'm simply suggesting a better answer to the question that will be raised is needed to prevent more restrictions.

That's all.   :shrug:

No, @Right_in_Virginia , I need provide no answers to protect an inalienable right.