Author Topic: Do I Get Enough Vitamin D in the Winter?  (Read 447 times)

Offline endicom

Do I Get Enough Vitamin D in the Winter?
« on: February 17, 2018, 01:19:07 am »
New York Times
Alice Callahan
Feb. 16, 2018

Q. Can I get enough vitamin D from sunlight, even if I live in a place with little sunlight during the winter?

A. Most people can make enough vitamin D from sun exposure during the summer, but for many, synthesis can be inadequate in the winter. A 2016 study led by researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimated that 14 to 18 percent of Americans have inadequate vitamin D, although what constitutes a healthy blood level is subject to debate.

Synthesis of vitamin D, which is critical for bone health, requires exposure to ultraviolet-B rays from the sun. In the summer, when the sun is directly overhead, vitamin D synthesis can be very efficient. For someone with light skin in a temperate climate at midday, “10 minutes a day of exposure to 10 percent of your body’s surface area, such as your arms and face, will give you what you need,” said Dr. Bess Dawson-Hughes, director of the Bone Metabolism Lab at the USDA Nutrition Center at Tufts University. Closer to the Equator, even less time is required.

More... https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/well/live/do-i-get-enough-vitamin-d-in-the-winter.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Fhealth&action=click&contentCollection=health&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront

Offline endicom

Re: Do I Get Enough Vitamin D in the Winter?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 01:20:58 am »
And glass blocks UVB.

Cats and dogs also make vitamin D from sunlight. I think that's why cats like sunbeams. But those sunbeams through glass do squat.

Offline DB

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 01:24:37 am »
I take 10,000 IU a day. I'm pale and don't go out in the sun much. My blood serum level is mid range with that dose...

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 01:26:25 am »
Easy enough to home test and then supplement if you need it.

Offline endicom

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 01:36:03 am »
I take 10,000 IU a day. I'm pale and don't go out in the sun much. My blood serum level is mid range with that dose...

I'm averaging about 5,000 IU daily.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 01:41:05 am »
I live in Tampa
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

BassWrangler

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 01:41:28 am »
My doc has me on it, but it is not clear it does jack squat because I just got tested and my levels are well below normal range. Damn pacific northwest weather.