Author Topic: Report: Opioid Manufacturers Paid $9 Million To Groups Promoting Opioids  (Read 914 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
freebeacon
Charles Fain Lehman   
February 15, 2018 10:01 am

[excerpt]

http://freebeacon.com/issues/report-opioid-manufacturers-paid-9-million-groups-promoting-opioids/

Five major opioid manufacturers paid a combined $9 million over five years to groups that deemphasized the dangerous risks of opioid prescription, according to a new report released Monday by the ranking minority member's office of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee.

The manufacturers—Purdue Pharma L.P.; Janssen Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Mylan N.V.; Depomed, Inc.; and Insys Therapeutics, Inc.—paid an additional $1.6 million between 2013 and 2017 to individuals, including licensed physicians, affiliated with the advocacy groups, totaling more than $10 million in payments from 2012 onwards.

The groups receiving funding from the pharmaceutical giants are primarily professional societies and patient advocacy groups, which purport to represent the interests of pain doctors and the pain-afflicted. These groups, the report notes, "have issued guidelines and policies minimizing the risk of opioid addiction and promoting opioids for chronic pain, lobbied to change laws directed at curbing opioid use, and argued against accountability for physicians and industry executives responsible for overprescription and misbranding."
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: Report: Opioid Manufacturers Paid $9 Million To Groups Promoting Opioids
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 01:34:53 am »
Five major opioid manufacturers paid a combined $9 million over five years

Big effing deal. Coke spent around $3.5 BILLION in advertising in just one year. Companies push their products or no one will buy them. What a mamby pamby loser article written by a hand wringing pansy.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 05:25:33 am »
Everyone here already knows what I think of drug makers.

I'm on Medicare. The last $40 prescription of Tax Payer funded pills I got cost me a Whopping 12 cent co-pay. The tax payers got billed for the rest of it.

Medicare pays for pills from these companies left and right but not a cent for most dentistry, which can kill a person if it goes on long enough.

Yes, $9 Million in promo is chump change when it's coming from the US Treasury.

I prefer to think of this article as Frederick Remington going photo-realist and painting this Pharma Fly buzzing the Ass of the meanest, most contrary, un cooperative, worse than S##t useless Cavalry Mule he could find.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:26:32 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 05:32:07 am »

Yes, $9 Million in promo is chump change when it's coming from the US Treasury.

If you want to play that silly game, I'd much rather see the govt' subsidize some pill head or people with pain issues than some effete fairy's ugly effing electric car....

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:32:35 am by Frank Cannon »

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 05:39:02 am »
It is not a silly either or game.

Wrong is wrong on both counts.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 05:46:11 am »
It is not a silly either or game.

Wrong is wrong on both counts.

Wrong is all over the world. Was yesterday. Will be tomorrow. No one is ever going to do a thing about it. It's a moot point.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 06:00:15 am »
The why did you couch it in those terms if it's moot?

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 06:21:24 am »
The why did you couch it in those terms if it's moot?

Because I get entertained when you build up to responding with long winded screeds replete with 8x10 glossies, diagrams and inverse parabolas on topics that don't matter. Figured you were itching to do it since you bumped this dog of a thread, but your one sentence responses are letting me down.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 07:25:39 am »
Because I get entertained when you build up to responding with long winded screeds replete with 8x10 glossies, diagrams and inverse parabolas on topics that don't matter. Figured you were itching to do it since you bumped this dog of a thread, but your one sentence responses are letting me down.

Meh Kay.

Are Star Trek Kiddie Cars OTC or Prescription only?

Is a State Licensed Transportation Expert required to push them off onto the consumer?

What Percentage of the purchase price is picked up, willing or not, by the tax payer?

How many people are DEAD by Tesla overselling their cars?

Opioids are prescription only. No OTC. Doctor/State Licensed Expert required to transact.

Most of the drug makers bottom line is Insurance, either Govt/Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare or Private.

The Drug Makers Bottom Line includes THOUSANDS of DEAD PEOPLE.

There is no moral equivalence between Circus Cars and Addictive Drugs which are killing people wholesale.

A good 80% or better of Purdue's bottom line on this product (or more) is being gouged out of the tax payers.

If Tesla could be linked to even 5% of the preventable deaths Opioid Pushers are causing overselling their stuff, every consumer advocacy group, Including Congress, both Parties, would be all over them like stink on a diaper.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 07:29:55 am »

Meh Kay.

Are Star Trek Kiddie Cars OTC or Prescription only?

Is a State Licensed Transportation Expert required to push them off onto the consumer?

What Percentage of the purchase price is picked up, willing or not, by the tax payer?

How many people are DEAD by Tesla overselling their cars?

Opioids are prescription only. No OTC. Doctor/State Licensed Expert required to transact.

Most of the drug makers bottom line is Insurance, either Govt/Medicare/Medicaid/Tricare or Private.

The Drug Makers Bottom Line includes THOUSANDS of DEAD PEOPLE.

There is no moral equivalence between Circus Cars and Addictive Drugs which are killing people wholesale.

A good 80% or better of Purdue's bottom line on this product (or more) is being gouged out of the tax payers.

If Tesla could be linked to even 5% of the preventable deaths Opioid Pushers are causing overselling their stuff, every consumer advocacy group, Including Congress, both Parties, would be all over them like stink on a diaper.

Now we're talking. Top Notch!

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 07:30:34 am »
If that's still too much of a nothing burger for you, try Reading the GD Law.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1958

Use of Interstate Commerce Facilities in the Commission of Murder For Hire.

They don't deserve to pay fines.

They deserve cages with bars on them and the bars welded shut.

Because if you just toss the key after you lock them up, Some one will find that key at some point and let them back out.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 11:29:48 pm »
Five major opioid manufacturers paid a combined $9 million over five years

Big effing deal. Coke spent around $3.5 BILLION in advertising in just one year. Companies push their products or no one will buy them. What a mamby pamby loser article written by a hand wringing pansy.
I can't tune in a broadcast TV station without being inundated with drug ads pressuring me to talk to my doctor about having them prescribed, and at the end of every single one of them is the factual information that this medication may help but on the other hand it may very well kill me! Where is the crack down on that? And why can shysters advertise 24/7, "have you ever sneezed? Contact ABC shysters and we'll find someone to sue, guaranteed!"

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2018, 01:34:20 am »
@GtHawk

This is 3/4 of an actual TV commercial for Abilify, an Atypical Antipsychotic.

! No longer available

The Whole commercial, with the 1st 15 seconds used to be easy to find, might still be up.

Consider, that THIS, is the Best the makers could get away with.

Online GtHawk

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2018, 01:56:17 am »
@GtHawk

This is 3/4 of an actual TV commercial for Abilify, an Atypical Antipsychotic.

! No longer available

The Whole commercial, with the 1st 15 seconds used to be easy to find, might still be up.

Consider, that THIS, is the Best the makers could get away with.
Which is more invasive and destructive, opioid manufacturers make legitimate outreach/advertising to physicians OR pharmactuetical companies that bombard people with ads telling them drugs are the answer to all of the issues that people just used to deal with in day to day life.

Are there legitimate uses for anti psychotics and people that need them, of course, just like there is for opioids.

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2018, 02:28:39 am »
Which is more invasive and destructive, opioid manufacturers make legitimate outreach/advertising to physicians OR pharmactuetical companies that bombard people with ads telling them drugs are the answer to all of the issues that people just used to deal with in day to day life.

Are there legitimate uses for anti psychotics and people that need them, of course, just like there is for opioids.

No, there aren't.

Chronic, (meaning continuous) actual physical pain is an actual medical condition.

A psychiatric condition is an Opinion.

The quacks who push this trash couch it in terms of 'Treating the Symptoms' of a mind disease/disorder, because they cannot do Jack about Identifying the Origin of Thoughts and Emotions, only worsen them.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:32:38 am by To-Whose-Benefit? »

• Wulf Anson Author
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2018, 02:49:16 am »
There can be physical causes for the discomfort that underlies thoughts, moods and emotions, but that takes them Out of the realm of Opinion based Disorders/Diseases.

Example:

Take your politically Conservative views over to Democrat Underground and present them to those posters.

See how long it takes them to scream Crazy, Insane, and Nut-Job at you.

Try it. It's a waste of time?

Best Psych story I know:

Woman who worked in Mental Health was ordered to submit herself for a Psych Evaluation.

So she knew exactly how the con worked already, and she was not going to be Destroyed by it.

She walked in, sat down, fished a cookbook out of her purse and began reading recipes to the Shrink.

He protested, she was being uncooperative.

She said Damn Right. I know who you are, what you are, and what you do.

And if you think I'm going to tell you Anything about myself, (and have you use it against me) You're the one who is Effing Nutz!

Online GtHawk

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2018, 03:16:11 am »

No, there aren't.

Chronic, (meaning continuous) actual physical pain is an actual medical condition.

A psychiatric condition is an Opinion.

The quacks who push this trash couch it in terms of 'Treating the Symptoms' of a mind disease/disorder, because they cannot do Jack about Identifying the Origin of Thoughts and Emotions, only worsen them.
Actually Psychologists do more than just quackery, my wife used to medical bill for both. She only has Psychologists now and of course they can't prescribe, only do testing for issues like brain damage from injuries and strokes and of course counseling.  But yes I agree there are way too many pill pushing quacks........everywhere.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 03:19:04 am by GtHawk »