Author Topic: JC Penney to close 8 stores in 2018. Here's where they are  (Read 2150 times)

Offline Applewood

JC Penney to close 8 stores in 2018. Here's where they are
« on: February 15, 2018, 10:43:41 pm »
JC Penney to close 8 stores in 2018. Here's where they are

JC Penney is anticipating closing eight of its department stores across the U.S. this year, a spokesman told CNBC.

It's part of the company's ongoing plan to right-size J.C. Penney's store fleet as more sales move online. J.C. Penney operates roughly 875 department stores today. That's after the retailer shuttered nearly 140 stores throughout 2017.

Earlier this week, J.C. Penney said it would also close one of its fulfillment centers in Wisconsin this summer, eliminating more than 600 jobs as a result.

The eight store closures are estimated to result in about 480 job cuts, the company said, and operations at those locations should be completely wound down by May.

More at:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/15/jc-penney-to-close-8-stores-in-2018-heres-where-they-are.html

Offline Applewood

Re: JC Penney to close 8 stores in 2018. Here's where they are
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:58 pm »
And in case, you are too lazy to read, the 8 stores are:

Hampton Village Plaza in St. Louis, MO
Garden State Plaza in Paramus, NJ
Sandburg Mall in Galesburg, IL
Viking Plaza in Alexandria, MN
Washington Park Mall in Bartlesville, OK
Cascade Mall in Burlington, WA
Calexico Store in Calexico, CA
Knox Village Square in Mt. Vernon, OH

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 12:27:21 am »
Who Will Die First, Sears or J.C. Penney?

Better question. Who gives a damn.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 01:08:34 am »
Who Will Die First, Sears or J.C. Penney?

Better question. Who gives a damn.

Maybe you don't care, but I'm sure somebody does,  Offhand, I can think of those who will be losing their jobs as stores close and their families. 

The supposed massive economic recovery allegedly going on since Trump became president is not 100% and it's not happening everywhere. 

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2018, 01:18:19 am »
Maybe you don't care, but I'm sure somebody does,  Offhand, I can think of those who will be losing their jobs as stores close and their families. 

The supposed massive economic recovery allegedly going on since Trump became president is not 100% and it's not happening everywhere.

"oh vez mear"   Mismanagement has consequences.  It is too bad and so sad for the little people who will loose there jobs.   The world needs ditch diggers and Walmart checkout staff too.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 01:34:11 am »
"oh vez mear"   Mismanagement has consequences.  It is too bad and so sad for the little people who will loose there jobs.   The world needs ditch diggers and Walmart checkout staff too.

"lose their" not "loose there."

Yes, it's mismanagement, but it's also a change in the way people shop.  People like me do a lot of online shopping and in the process, we are killing the brick and mortar stores.  That's a shame because there are some things I would still rather go to a store and see in person -- major appliances, for example.  Making a major ourchase online is like buying a pig in a poke.  You don't know what you're getting.

Had Sears done a better job of developing online sales, it might have survived.  Once  it eliminated the catalog, it didn't have an alternative for people too far away or too busy to shlep to a store.   Sears also started seling crappy merchandise and treated customers poorly.  Once you lose your customers, it's almost impossible to bring them back.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 01:40:46 am »

What a bunch of horse shit. So you think that some backwards out of date company needs to stay around like JC Pennies so that the handful of morons working there that haven't gone to where people ARE buying shit can have a job? Sears was intentionally cannibalized and run into the ground because of the Hedge Fund manager turned CEO. They need to be saved too? In the meantime Amazon is building new headquarters and adding jobs by the day. Way more than Sears or JC Pennies ever added in any given year combined.

No one cares about these stores including the employees. They haven't given a shit for years. Walk into one and see what true incompetence really is.

Offline anubias

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 01:52:37 am »
I’m amazed that JC Penny is still around in 2018.  They never had anything I would purchase, even as a child.  At least Sears had great tools back in the day.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 04:27:43 am »
This story shocks me to the core.  I didn't know Penney's had eight stores.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 12:25:36 pm »
My hairdresser works out of a JCP salon in a mall that in the past few years has lost both Sears and Macy's. There's almost nothing there but JCP and a Dick's Sporting Goods store. It's just a matter of time before the entire mall is abandoned, and it used to be huge and bustling.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Applewood

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »
My hairdresser works out of a JCP salon in a mall that in the past few years has lost both Sears and Macy's. There's almost nothing there but JCP and a Dick's Sporting Goods store. It's just a matter of time before the entire mall is abandoned, and it used to be huge and bustling.

What some people don't realize is that when the anchor stores go belly up, there goes the whole mall and all the businesses therein.  It's not just the employees of Penneys, Sears and Macy's -- a whole lot of other people are out of work too.  It's much like back in the 70s and 80s when all the mills closed.  Whole towns went under. 

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 07:17:19 pm »
i went into a pennys for the first time in several years.  Bought some dress pants.    Sticker price on the pants was $75 each.   I walked out with two pair for $65 including tax.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 07:33:09 pm »
True, JCP frequently offers some excellent bargains on decent quality clothing.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 07:52:53 pm »

Let me guess. Has the population in the area, frown or declined since the 1950s ???
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 07:56:17 pm »
Let me guess. Has the population in the area, frown or declined since the 1950s ???
Probably fairly stable. It's not a depressed area.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2018, 10:34:28 pm »
I’m amazed that JC Penny is still around in 2018.  They never had anything I would purchase, even as a child.  At least Sears had great tools back in the day.
Every so often you can find a nice Hawaiian shirt on the clearance rack. (Which, alas, is the only place in the store where anything is affordable.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2018, 11:44:39 pm »
What a bunch of horse shit. So you think that some backwards out of date company needs to stay around like JC Pennies so that the handful of morons working there that haven't gone to where people ARE buying shit can have a job? Sears was intentionally cannibalized and run into the ground because of the Hedge Fund manager turned CEO. They need to be saved too? In the meantime Amazon is building new headquarters and adding jobs by the day. Way more than Sears or JC Pennies ever added in any given year combined.

No one cares about these stores including the employees. They haven't given a shit for years. Walk into one and see what true incompetence really is.
I have lost track of how many chain stores have folded that I once went to , Zody's, Whitefront, Gemco, Fedco, Montgomery Wards, Best Products, The Treasury, Sports Authority, Sports Chalet, Service Merchandise, Woolworth, CompUsa, Good Guys, Radio Shack. And then there are all the hardware, record and video chains. Businesses rarely outlive their usefulness and people just have less use for brick and mortar stores. Just like in the past people will adapt and find new jobs, or not.

Offline DB

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2018, 12:30:21 am »
Wasn't it JC Penny's that decided marketing to gays was more important than straights?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2018, 12:32:48 am »
Wasn't it JC Penny's that decided marketing to gays was more important than straights?

Yes, but it had little to do with their collapse.  More people say it was their pricing structure and the layout of their stores.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2018, 12:35:28 am »
I think that the results being attributed to those boycotts over that with JCP and Target were way overrated.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2018, 01:16:48 am »
I have lost track of how many chain stores have folded that I once went to , Zody's, Whitefront, Gemco, Fedco, Montgomery Wards, Best Products, The Treasury, Sports Authority, Sports Chalet, Service Merchandise, Woolworth, CompUsa, Good Guys, Radio Shack. And then there are all the hardware, record and video chains. Businesses rarely outlive their usefulness and people just have less use for brick and mortar stores. Just like in the past people will adapt and find new jobs, or not.
Yet many malls look strong, and a few look awful. Westminster Mall may be on the way out. Sears, Target and Macy's current anchors.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2018, 02:58:57 am »
At least 10 years back, Penney's still had a catalog-order department in their store here.
They also had a workwear catalog from which I bought various stuff, their own house brand, which I liked, particularly their shirts.

Can't find these things "off the shelves" in their stores any more. They no longer have their own workwear brand. So... I don't go to Penney's much these days...

Offline GtHawk

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2018, 03:46:07 am »
Yet many malls look strong, and a few look awful. Westminster Mall may be on the way out. Sears, Target and Macy's current anchors.
Yes Westminster seems to be holding, but it's nothing like the 70's. And it's probably people like me that hate crowds, not that the few times I've been there recently I've seen any.
Remember back when malls were all open to the air? They killed the Buena Park and Los Cerritos malls by enclosing them and The City? They screwed that one up so bad the only answer was to tear it down and revision it as what it used to be...............open air.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2018, 04:28:39 am »
Yes Westminster seems to be holding, but it's nothing like the 70's. And it's probably people like me that hate crowds, not that the few times I've been there recently I've seen any.
Remember back when malls were all open to the air? They killed the Buena Park and Los Cerritos malls by enclosing them and The City? They screwed that one up so bad the only answer was to tear it down and revision it as what it used to be...............open air.

Yes, some of them have gone from open, to closed, then back to open.

Whitwood, Whittier.
Huntington Beach/Bella Terra
...and the ones you mention.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2018, 03:06:56 pm »
The mall I described above became popular with teens from a town several miles away. They could take a bus from their town straight to the mall. Many of the customers felt threatened by their behavior and stopped shopping there.