Author Topic: CNN Points Out that in Florida You Don't Need A Permit to 'Conceal Carry A Rifle'  (Read 2018 times)

Offline endicom

Townhall
Lauretta Brown
Feb. 15, 2018

Many lawmakers and media outlets renewed calls for stricter gun laws Thursday following the tragic mass school shooting in Parkland, Florida, which left 17 dead. CNN attempted to outline some of the state’s gun laws but baffled many on Twitter by highlighting the fact that “in Florida, you don't need a permit to conceal carry a rifle or shotgun, although you do need it to conceal carry a handgun.”

>

In Florida, people can literally put semi-automatic rifles in their pockets. Hard to believe, but true. #RealNews https://t.co/xmoqteghWg

— Christopher Bedford (@CBedfordDC) February 15, 2018

More... https://townhall.com/tipsheet/laurettabrown/2018/02/15/cnn-points-out-that-in-florida-you-dont-need-a-permit-to-conceal-carry-a-rifle-n2449742

Offline endicom

Florida Man can do anything.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline endicom

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline endicom

Offline ConstitutionRose

Someone ask CNN to demonstrate "concealed carry" with a rifle. 
"Old man can't is dead.  I helped bury him."  Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas quoting his grandfather.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Cool! If I ever get the money for that .50 cal Barrett, I'm moving to Florida!
The Republic is lost.

Offline Polly Ticks

... but you do need REALLY big pockets.
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

I don't think Josh Randall's Mares Leg would be considered a rifle. It's not fired from the shoulder.

Offline RoosGirl

How very astute of them.

Offline Suppressed

Someone ask CNN to demonstrate "concealed carry" with a rifle.

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline anubias

He supposedly got out of the Uber and walked into the school with the rifle in a rifle bag.  Is a rifle in a rifle bag considered concealed in states that have concealed rifle laws?

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.

I hope you posted that as a joke?  Cuz no one who has ever been around "Long Guns" would even carry like that.....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Townhall
Lauretta Brown
Feb. 15, 2018

Many lawmakers and media outlets renewed calls for stricter gun laws Thursday following the tragic mass school shooting in Parkland, Florida, which left 17 dead. CNN attempted to outline some of the state’s gun laws but baffled many on Twitter by highlighting the fact that “in Florida, you don't need a permit to conceal carry a rifle or shotgun, although you do need it to conceal carry a handgun.”

>

In Florida, people can literally put semi-automatic rifles in their pockets. Hard to believe, but true. #RealNews https://t.co/xmoqteghWg

— Christopher Bedford (@CBedfordDC) February 15, 2018

More... https://townhall.com/tipsheet/laurettabrown/2018/02/15/cnn-points-out-that-in-florida-you-dont-need-a-permit-to-conceal-carry-a-rifle-n2449742

You can always count on CCN for comedy relief based on stupidity.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I don't think Josh Randall's Mares Leg would be considered a rifle. It's not fired from the shoulder.

@Elderberry

"Mares Leg". There's a term I  haven't heard used in several decades.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I hope you posted that as a joke?  Cuz no one who has ever been around "Long Guns" would even carry like that.....

@The Ghose

There is no way you could sling it without either the butt or the muzzle poking up over your shoulder,and there is no way you could shoulder it to shoot unless you took the coat off first.

Offline roamer_1

@The Ghose

There is no way you could sling it without either the butt or the muzzle poking up over your shoulder,and there is no way you could shoulder it to shoot unless you took the coat off first.

@sneakypete

Not exactly true... A Mountain sling is a lot like a Delta Tactical sling - but it is geared to convert quickly to a two-point sling.  In single-point, it stores easy barrel down and on the side... , in double-point,  it is a regular sling, except the strap is usually two strips of leather, so when in 2-point normal shoulder-stow, you can flip one of the straps over your head which causes the rifle to snug up to your pack and  stay put so you can have both your hands for climbing and such.

but the point being, in single point, it is a forward-center carry, that easily folds barrel down and to the side.

This is the best example, but not quite:

! No longer available

Offline berdie

It seems a little bit on the suicidal side to me.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Not exactly true... A Mountain sling is a lot like a Delta Tactical sling - but it is geared to convert quickly to a two-point sling.  In single-point, it stores easy barrel down and on the side... , in double-point,  it is a regular sling, except the strap is usually two strips of leather, so when in 2-point normal shoulder-stow, you can flip one of the straps over your head which causes the rifle to snug up to your pack and  stay put so you can have both your hands for climbing and such.

but the point being, in single point, it is a forward-center carry, that easily folds barrel down and to the side.

This is the best example, but not quite:

! No longer available

@roamer_1

Couple of points here. In the original post,that was a bolt rifle with a traditional stock,a traditional scope,and a traditional leather sling. No way in hell can you sling that thing under the coat and hope to hide it or be able to use it quickly.

The second point is personal. I don't consider crap like AK's to be rifles. At best,they are carbines. Back when I was walking around in the woods with stuff like that,I just used  a piece of canvas web from some forgotten piece of equipment for a sling. Tied one end towards the muzzle,the other end around the butt stock,and slung it over my neck with the firearm pretty much level without me holding it. Wasn't fancy,but this was in the 60's,and the system worked well.

Come to think of it,it may have been a strap from a canvas rifle bag we used when parachuting from airplanes. Or maybe not. It's been a long time and it was something I just did without giving it much thought other than "I need to be able to keep the rifle level at waist level and to be able to take my hands off of it so I can eat rice while walking,look at a compass,etc,etc,etc,and yet be instantly ready to shoot it. Yeah,that will work!"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:53:07 am by sneakypete »

Offline roamer_1

Couple of points here. In the original post,that was a bolt rifle with a traditional stock,a traditional scope,and a traditional leather sling. No way in hell can you sling that thing under the coat and hope to hide it or be able to use it quickly.

@sneakypete
Yeah, that's right - I ain't commenting  on that rig, but that a mountain sling would do what that don't... Not meaning to call you out, jussayin.

The second point is personal. I don't consider crap like AK's to be rifles. At best,they are carbines.

Right - I have a mountain sling on most everything I own, but the single point stuff is for carbines.  I run that rig on my long guns too, but more for the ability to backpack the rifle, than for center forward single point.

Back when I was walking around in the woods with stuff like that,I just used  a piece of canvas web from some forgotten piece of equipment for a sling. Tied one end towards the muzzle,the other end around the butt stock,and slung it over my neck with the firearm pretty much level without me holding it. Wasn't fancy,but this was in the 60's,and the system worked well.

Come to think of it,it may have been a strap from a canvas rifle bag we used when parachuting from airplanes. Or maybe not. It's been a long time and it was something I just did without giving it much thought other than "I need to be able to keep the rifle level at waist level and to be able to take my hands off of it so I can eat rice while walking,look at a compass,etc,etc,etc,and yet be instantly ready to shoot it. Yeah,that will work!"

Yeah - not the same, but sorta. If I am in the woods, I am packing a 45/70 and it is on a forward center single point.  Same sort of thing for the same reason why. The rifle has to be at the ready, mostly at all times. It's mighty nice to be able to tuck it under my arm (barrel down) if I am stopped to do something I need my hands for... It is still very much accessible, far more than a shouldered sling would be.

It don't travel that way of course. If I come up out of the brush into meadows, or walking a ridge, it is an easy thing to convert it to 2 point and put it on my back.

That's why I like it. Because it is so versatile.

Offline Suppressed

Yes, usually carried barrel-down under a duster.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Yes, usually carried barrel-down under a duster.

Thank goodness!
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.