Author Topic: Coastal communities hit by Harvey will get $1 billion for hazard mitigation, Abbott announces  (Read 662 times)

Offline thackney

Coastal communities hit by Harvey will get $1 billion for hazard mitigation, Abbott announces
https://www.texastribune.org/2018/02/13/coastal-texas-communities-hit-harvey-will-get-1-billion-hazard-mitigat/
Texas communities slammed by Hurricane Harvey can now apply for a share of a half-billion dollars in federal money that will cover everything from buying out flood-prone homes to building new seawalls and restoring sand dunes, Gov. Greg Abbott told an audience in Rockport on Tuesday.

The state expects to receive just over $1 billion in hazard mitigation money from the Federal Emergency Management Agency by the one-year anniversary of Harvey’s landfall in late August, Abbott said, but half of that is available immediately.

“We want to rebuild in ways that reduce the risk of future damages to property and to lives,” Abbott told a group of local officials in Rockport, which bore the brunt of Harvey’s Category 4 winds and suffered extensive property damage.

The money is available to cities and counties affected by Harvey, and can be used for:

* Buyouts of flooded structures and elevating structures above floodplains

* Floodwalls, seawalls, jetties, sand dune restoration and channeling waterways

* Retrofitting houses and buildings to withstand hurricane winds

* Storm surge protection projects

“The money is here, checks can be cut immediately as soon as you get your applications in and get them approved by [the Texas Division of Emergency Management],” Abbott said, adding that the agency’s chief, Nim Kidd, knows “there’s a need for speed.”...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
How about people upgrade their own houses.   I bought a house built to current code on purpose.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.