Author Topic: Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement  (Read 1012 times)

rangerrebew

Army Basic Training to Drop Hand Grenade Competency as Graduation Requirement

The U.S. Army will drop its hand grenade competency requirement for graduation from basic training because getting recruits to pass it is taking “too much time” and they’re just not strong enough, Major General Malcolm Frost told reporters on Friday.

Changes to the Army’s Basic Combat Training (BTC) will eliminate the current hand grenade proficiency standards as a requirement for graduation, Military.com reports [1]:

Source URL: https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/craig-bannister/army-basic-training-drop-hand-grenade-competency-graduation-requirement

rangerrebew

But they have added eating etiquette in it's place.

Oceander

Maybe it’s just me, but unless they’re going to stop issuing hand grenades to soldiers, shouldn’t they make sure soldiers know how to use the damned things? 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Army Training enlisted:

--Basic Training (8 weeks once) everybody

--AIT for Advanced Individual Training (infantry, truck driver, cook, dental assistant, etc.)

So those individual which will be trained for combat, will probably get exposure to most weapons they might use. Rifles, pistols, grenades, mines, machine guns, etc. The army used to have a cool discardable grenade launcher.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Maybe it’s just me, but unless they’re going to stop issuing hand grenades to soldiers, shouldn’t they make sure soldiers know how to use the damned things?

@Oceander

Probably 90 percent of the army and the Marine Corps never even see a grenade once they get out of basic training.

I don't think anybody in the Navy or the USAF has ever even seen one except for the ParaRescue AF types and the Navy SEALS.

Grenades are GREAT,though! Anytime you find yourself in a bar filled full of hostiles all trying to see who can be the second one to work up the courage to attack you,all you have to do is pull a grenade out of your pocket and smile at them,and suddenly you own the whole damn bar.

A smile and a grenade will get you a lot further than just a smile alone.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The army used to have a cool discardable grenade launcher.

@truth_seeker

Really? How is it that I missed that one?

I was in the army when the first 40mm grenade launcher was attached under the short barrels of the old CAR-15's,and each squad had a dedicated M-79 grenadier. Most people would be surprised at how quickly an experienced M-79 man could pump out rounds from that single shot gun.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@truth_seeker

I was in the army when the first 40mm grenade launcher was attached under the short barrels of the old CAR-15's,and each squad had a dedicated M-79 grenadier. Most people would be surprised at how quickly an experienced M-79 man could pump out rounds from that single shot gun.
I should have said rocket launcher as in M72 LAW

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline endicom

@truth_seeker

Probably thinking of the rocket launchers.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3254587-U-S-Army-TC-23-3-XM79-and-T148E2-Grenade-Launchers.html

I saw a T148 with some 1st Cav troops but no one I asked had heard of it. It didn't work out so they dropped and I needed this here internet to finally find out what it was.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I should have said rocket launcher as in M72 LAW

@truth=seeker

Oh,yeah! I do remember those SOB's! I carried one on several missions into Cambodia and Laos,determined to bag the first Russian tank I saw,but finally got tired of carrying the awkward thing around and left it behind. Never did see a Russian tank,or even hear one in the distance. Almost certainly a good thing,too.

NOT one of my smarter ideas,but in my defense,I was young.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 07:17:54 am by sneakypete »

Offline skeeter

The girls can't throw them far enough.

IMO only.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Probably thinking of the rocket launchers.

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3254587-U-S-Army-TC-23-3-XM79-and-T148E2-Grenade-Launchers.html

I saw a T148 with some 1st Cav troops but no one I asked had heard of it. It didn't work out so they dropped and I needed this here internet to finally find out what it was.

@endicom

Learn something new every day! I was never a sprocket head,and would have ran away if you suggested I become one,but I would have been ready to swear a T-148 was a Korean War era US Army tank. Tiny little thing compared to the new ones.

Offline endicom

@endicom

Learn something new every day! I was never a sprocket head,and would have ran away if you suggested I become one,but I would have been ready to swear a T-148 was a Korean War era US Army tank. Tiny little thing compared to the new ones.

What I'd seen would still be a mystery if it weren't for this here internet. I've read that the SEALs played with the same or nearly same device but that it didn't work for them, either.