Author Topic: Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients  (Read 1939 times)

Offline thackney

Re: Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 02:35:59 pm »
Absolutely. My grandmother and bunch of neighborhood church ladies would make a day of going to get govt' cheese. It was free for old people and old people love free no matter what. It was like a social event. I also remember it tasting like shit and she didn't like cheese that much so it would get tossed in the garbage.

My grandma would then mail it to me while I was in college.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 03:58:55 pm »
This is part of his negotiating style.  In the beginning, always be outrageous...always overreach.

Pres. Trump's strategy seems to be to woo new Democrats with new jobs and a sense of security,...at the expense of reminding those getting food stamps that, they're on the dole.

But I'd like to think he's trying to shave some Hispanics and 'new' citizens from them, too.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 04:24:00 pm »
   Maybe it's just me but this is the umpteenth article since the he signed the budget last week that has 'vague sources' talking about some type of entitlement reform, red meat to his starving base.
   I suspect his internal polling is bleeding profusely from another self inflected wound.   
   Money Talks, BS Walks.

I've never thought Trump's base as "starving".
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:42 pm »
Rule #1 - No food stamps for fat people.

(This should be obvious)
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:53 pm »
Another supplemental idea considered in the Trump package.....

No big fan of Trump, but I disagree with you on this...though it's not a hill to die on...lol.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 04:40:54 pm »
This is part of his negotiating style.  In the beginning, always be outrageous...always overreach.

Pres. Trump's strategy seems to be to woo new Democrats with new jobs and a sense of security,...at the expense of reminding those getting food stamps that, they're on the dole.

But I'd like to think he's trying to shave some Hispanics and 'new' citizens from them, too.

The problem is, in this one, how is this outrageous?  What he is proposing is rather mundane and actually brings us back to Bill Clinton era policies in many ways. If he uses this as a starting point, where is he meeting the dems at? (ie, if what you say is true, he would almost end up moving this to the left if he meets in the middle).

Plus, he should know now, the dems don't operate that way.

...also, while he seems to talk about this being his strategy, he really hasn't shown that to be his strategy as President.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 04:57:28 pm »
   Maybe it's just me but this is the umpteenth article since the he signed the budget last week that has 'vague sources' talking about some type of entitlement reform, red meat to his starving base.
   I suspect his internal polling is bleeding profusely from another self inflected wound.   
   Money Talks, BS Walks.

I just read where NPR and Big Bird won't be funded.

Still don't know about Planned Parenthood.

But, whatever, the point is that these are government funded things that irritate people.

Especially when people on food stamps buy luxury items or don't choose wisely.  So, if you're on food stamps, it might actually be beneficial to have healthy stuff chosen for you.

And, yes, I think Trump is in a little trouble with his base for allowing the debt ceiling to be raised.

Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 04:58:28 pm »
Rule #1 - No food stamps for fat people.

(This should be obvious)

You're just mean.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »
I just read where NPR and Big Bird won't be funded.

Big Bird will be fine.  He moved from Sesame Street to Easy Street in 2015.  A 5 year deal was signed with HBO.  Those episodes go to PBS for free, 9 months after they've been behind a premium channel paywall.  Between that and the merchandising, they can't cry poor.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:19:50 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 06:04:40 pm »
You're just mean.

Nope.  Just being practical.  A mean person would keep feeding addicts their drug of choice.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 06:22:28 pm »
It gets weirder.

I've seen convenience store owners go into my local grocery store.
They will by 2 dozen snickers bars and 2 dozen small bags of Cheetos (in one instance).
The put it on their food stamp card.
They take it back to the convenience store and resell it.
It is usually stuff like that, chips pork rinds, candy, etc...
I've seen it a few times now.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:23:08 pm by GrouchoTex »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 06:29:47 pm »
It gets weirder.

I've seen convenience store owners go into my local grocery store.
They will by 2 dozen snickers bars and 2 dozen small bags of Cheetos (in one instance).
The put it on their food stamp card.
They take it back to the convenience store and resell it.
It is usually stuff like that, chips pork rinds, candy, etc...
I've seen it a few times now.

I have personally watch someone buy about $300 worth of groceries on their Lone Star Card, push the carts out to the parking lot and unload them into the trunk of the Cadillac being driven by the guy who owns the Chinese restaurant around the corner, take the 2 $100's the Chinese guy hands them and turn around and walk into the liquor right next door to the grocery store they had just come out of!   Bellaire Blvd. Houston Texas.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 06:33:21 pm »
What is the monthly limit on a food stamp card for, say, a family of four?

$300 seems a little high, but I really don't know.

Offline thackney

« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 06:44:44 pm »

In California, family of four would range from $810 to $949

https://ca.db101.org/ca/programs/income_support/calworks/program2b.htm
https://ca.db101.org/glossary_item.aspx?item-id=6521

In Texas, the maximum for four is $640
https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas.gov/programs/snap
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 06:47:23 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2018, 06:52:20 pm »
In California, family of four would range from $810 to $949

https://ca.db101.org/ca/programs/income_support/calworks/program2b.htm
https://ca.db101.org/glossary_item.aspx?item-id=6521

In Texas, the maximum for four is $640
https://yourtexasbenefits.hhsc.texas.gov/programs/snap

thanks.  I looked it up myself.  It is a VERY generous program.  The income limits are fairly high and the food stamp amount is high also.

It definitely needs to be regulated if it is to continue.  It is ripe for all the abuses mentioned here.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2018, 06:54:31 pm »

The amount may vary by state.  All I know is that whatever these beneficiaries get -- at least where I live -- it allegedly is not enough.  Which is why my local school district serves breakfast, lunch and dinner to the kids -- even during the summer.    That is paid for by my property taxes. 

And most of these beneficiaries are getting more than one entitlement.  They get food stamps or EBT,  WIC (food program for mothers, babies and very small children), welfare, maybe disability, unemployment, workers' comp and who knows what all else.  Plus they get groceries at the food pantry, used clothing from Goodwill and who knows how many other local government and private charitable programs. 

Slackers make out like bandits. And we working stiffs and retirees are the ones getting robbed. 

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 06:55:25 pm »
Bellaire Blvd. Houston Texas.

Eldridge, south of West Airport, Sugar Land, is where I witnessed the stuff.

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 06:58:23 pm »

$300 a month wouldn’t get a family of four very far in NYC.

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2018, 07:02:45 pm »
$300 a month wouldn’t get a family of four very far in NYC.

Maybe they should move.

Oceander

« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2018, 07:03:30 pm »
Maybe they should move.

I’m sure they’d find your neighborhood really pleasant.  Shall I send the invites?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2018, 07:18:23 pm »
My son used to be a cashier at Kroger.Two things about Food Stamp users.

About half bought cheap staple items. They don't get that much money in "food stamps". Many of them also had SNAP which is even more restrictive.
About half bought primarily frozen or canned meals. Although they are expensive, they are convenient and can be sold if needed. Occasionally, they would buy large amounts of the same item which looked like something you would sell(i.e. 20 packs of hot dogs). About half the food stamp users had a separate pile of alcohol or tobacco.
Fresh produce was like Kryptonite to a Food Stamp user.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2018, 07:23:31 pm »
Wait until people start complaining about food allergies to the package contents.  That's inevitable.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:54 pm »
My son used to be a cashier at Kroger.Two things about Food Stamp users.

About half bought cheap staple items. They don't get that much money in "food stamps". Many of them also had SNAP which is even more restrictive.
About half bought primarily frozen or canned meals. Although they are expensive, they are convenient and can be sold if needed. Occasionally, they would buy large amounts of the same item which looked like something you would sell(i.e. 20 packs of hot dogs). About half the food stamp users had a separate pile of alcohol or tobacco.
Fresh produce was like Kryptonite to a Food Stamp user.

The Kroger we shop at is right on the line between the expensive and poor areas of town (3 block difference between half million dollar homes and 80K homes).  It is a regular event to see someone piling up their cart with junk food, steaks, and such. And 9 times out of ten, you can predict when their cart looks like that, they are paying with a Lone Star Card- sometimes one person will pay with 2-3 of them.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 09:12:34 pm »
I was standing in line behind a woman who was purchasing candy with her SNAP card.  She was complaining because the store tacked on sales tax with the purchase.  She insisted that food stamp purchases weren't taxed, but the store insisted that it did not include candy.  After a few minutes of haggling with the cashier, I finally chimed in, "What's it matter to you?  I'm the one paying it."

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 09:24:54 pm »
The amount may vary by state.  All I know is that whatever these beneficiaries get -- at least where I live -- it allegedly is not enough.  Which is why my local school district serves breakfast, lunch and dinner to the kids -- even during the summer.    That is paid for by my property taxes. 

And most of these beneficiaries are getting more than one entitlement.  They get food stamps or EBT,  WIC (food program for mothers, babies and very small children), welfare, maybe disability, unemployment, workers' comp and who knows what all else.  Plus they get groceries at the food pantry, used clothing from Goodwill and who knows how many other local government and private charitable programs. 

Slackers make out like bandits. And we working stiffs and retirees are the ones getting robbed.

You are right.  I believe in a little compassion but we are making it far too easy and attractive to be a slacker.