Author Topic: Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients  (Read 1940 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients
« on: February 12, 2018, 10:47:09 pm »
Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients
By Luis Sanchez - 02/12/18 05:28 PM EST

President Trump's new budget would severely restrict the kinds of foods that food stamp recipients could buy with the government assistance.

Recipients of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program — SNAP — receive a monthly supplement that offers help purchasing food.

But Trump's proposal would require people who receive at least $90 a month from the program to get about half of their benefits in the form of a “USDA food package,” rather than by purchasing the food themselves, NPR reported.

The proposed change would affect more than 80 percent of people enrolled in SNAP.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/373507-trump-proposes-restricting-choices-for-food-stamp-recipients
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Trump proposes restricting choices for food stamp recipients
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »
The plan has already been criticized by a number of groups, with critics saying the cuts would reduce help available to the poor. Opponents of the cuts also point out that the physical delivery of the food would pose a challenge for the government.

Name the groups.  I'm willing to bet they loved Michelle O's terrible school lunch program.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:58:44 pm »
Sorry if you are on Food Stamps, you should not be using it to buy steaks or lobsters. Just the basic food.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:52 pm »
He is right. We should go back to the days of bare essentials. Pastas, veg, affordable protein, rice and beans, basic soaps and toilet paper.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 01:24:53 am »
Another supplemental idea considered in the Trump package.....

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline corbe

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 01:38:04 am »
   Maybe it's just me but this is the umpteenth article since the he signed the budget last week that has 'vague sources' talking about some type of entitlement reform, red meat to his starving base.
   I suspect his internal polling is bleeding profusely from another self inflected wound.   
   Money Talks, BS Walks.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 02:04:27 am »
   Maybe it's just me but this is the umpteenth article since the he signed the budget last week that has 'vague sources' talking about some type of entitlement reform, red meat to his starving base.
   I suspect his internal polling is bleeding profusely from another self inflected wound.   
   Money Talks, BS Walks.

Exactly
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Fantom

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 03:52:38 am »

Something I have been advocating for a long long time.  You could deliver the food... or do like the WIX program and give a voucher for certain items in certain quantities.

Oh, and please, anyone on a means tested bennie..... does not get to vote.

Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 04:25:03 am »
Sorry if you are on Food Stamps, you should not be using it to buy steaks or lobsters. Just the basic food.

At least that shit is nutritious. The garbage I see losers buying with their EBT cards is insane. 10 bags of Doritos, 6 pack of Tabb and a carton of Lucky's. It's ridiculous.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 05:05:48 am »
At least that shit is nutritious. The garbage I see losers buying with their EBT cards is insane. 10 bags of Doritos, 6 pack of Tabb and a carton of Lucky's. It's ridiculous.

Carton of Lucky's??  Tobacco isn't allowed?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 05:06:08 am by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:31 am »
Anyone remember gov't handing out 5lb. blocks of cheese? 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 05:09:50 am »

From what I can tell, whatever they buy at a grocery store or bodega is allowed. I've never seen these dopes pull out any other cards or cash to buy their shit.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 05:14:33 am »

Absolutely. My grandmother and bunch of neighborhood church ladies would make a day of going to get govt' cheese. It was free for old people and old people love free no matter what. It was like a social event. I also remember it tasting like shit and she didn't like cheese that much so it would get tossed in the garbage.

Offline DB

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 06:02:46 am »
Absolutely. My grandmother and bunch of neighborhood church ladies would make a day of going to get govt' cheese. It was free for old people and old people love free no matter what. It was like a social event. I also remember it tasting like shit and she didn't like cheese that much so it would get tossed in the garbage.

Non dairy bondo?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 06:14:07 am »
The plan has already been criticized by a number of groups, with critics saying the cuts would reduce help available to the poor. Opponents of the cuts also point out that the physical delivery of the food would pose a challenge for the government.

Name the groups.  I'm willing to bet they loved Michelle O's terrible school lunch program.

Speaking of Michelle, I want to hire the guy who painted her official portrait to paint my official portrait.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline DB

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 06:22:35 am »
Speaking of Michelle, I want to hire the guy who painted her official portrait to paint my official portrait.

She'll only paint your severed head...
http://www.wnd.com/2018/02/obama-artist-paints-black-women-holding-severed-white-heads/

Offline Applewood

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 07:02:27 am »

My Mom worked as a supermarket cashier back in the 50s and 60s.  It irritated her to no end to have to ring up an order with top of the line steaks and  lobster, and in the end the customer would pay with food stamps.   Meanwhile, my parents, who both worked, could only afford hamburger and tuna fish.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:25 am »

My Dad went to one of those giveaways.  Even brought home butter too.  My mother told him if he brought that [expletive] home again, she was going to throw him and the butter and cheese out. The cheese was phony American cheese, but most brands like Kraft at least try to duplicate real cheese. The "cheese" Dad brought home wasn't even close.  It really looked and tasted like yellow plastic.    Yuk!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:17:32 am by Applewood »

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 07:48:50 am »
From what I can tell, whatever they buy at a grocery store or bodega is allowed. I've never seen these dopes pull out any other cards or cash to buy their shit.

Yes in some small market areas I can see owners risking some deals like in the video below. I personally have never seen EBT used to buy cigs or alcohol (but have seen it used to buy the material for mixed drinks minus the alcohol).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PasuoWVhqtc

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:49:14 am by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 07:52:33 am »
My Dad went to one of those giveaways.  Even brought home butter too.  My mother told him if he brought that [expletive] home again, she was going to throw him and the butter and cheese out. The cheese was phony American cheese, but most brands like Kraft at least try to duplicate real cheese. The "cheese" Dad brought home wasn't even close.  It really looked and tasted like yellow plastic.    Yuk!

I remember it (cheese) as actually pretty dang good. Grandmother got it after she got cancer (early 70s).
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline DB

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 08:32:18 am »
I think rice, beans, canned milk and some other basic items should be free (perhaps a limit on how much you can take at a time). No excuse for anyone to starve in America. No credits, no cards, no government programs, no scams. Much cheaper to administer and hunger is then a choice.

If you want something better you'll have to work for it.

Citizenship should probably be required - but that may be more expensive/complicated to enforce than it's worth. Build the damn wall.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 09:23:41 am »
Another supplemental idea considered in the Trump package.....

Lol...The Big Mac BOGO program.  Endorsed by President's Trump and Clinton.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 12:09:58 pm »

There a local stores and bodegas that will let EBTcard holders. It beer and smokes.

They just ring it up as a food item that's the same or similar price.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 12:26:11 pm »

I have a feeling they are kinda overweight.
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 12:58:20 pm »
There a local stores and bodegas that will let EBTcard holders. It beer and smokes.

They just ring it up as a food item that's the same or similar price.

Very possible and likely in small independent stores and bodegas. Chain grocery stores and stores like WalMart and Target, not likely because of the electronic cash registers.

I worked at a Weis Markets in the late 80's and if someone had WIC or was paying food stamps the system would automatically deduct non-eligible items from what could be tendered with them and then a separate balance that had to paid in cash.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause