Author Topic: The House That Spied on Me  (Read 3148 times)

Offline mountaineer

The House That Spied on Me
« on: February 12, 2018, 02:34:56 pm »
The House That Spied on Me
Kashmir Hill and Surya Mattu
Wednesday 1:25pm

In December, I converted my one-bedroom apartment in San Francisco into a “smart home.” I connected as many of my appliances and belongings as I could to the internet: an Amazon Echo, my lights, my coffee maker, my baby monitor, my kid’s toys, my vacuum, my TV, my toothbrush, a photo frame, a sex toy, and even my bed.

“Our bed?” asked my husband, aghast. “What can it tell us?”  ...

Thanks to the Internet of Things, I could live in my very own tech-mediated Downton Abbey. That’s the appeal of smart homes for most people, and why they are supposed to be a $27 billion market by 2021. But that wasn’t my primary motivation. The reason I smartened up my house was to find out whether it would betray me.

I installed internet-connected devices to serve me, but by making the otherwise inanimate objects of my home “smart” and giving them internet-connected “brains,” I was also giving them the ability to gather information about my home and the people in it.  ...  Full story at Gizmodo
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Re: The House That Spied on Me
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 04:59:10 pm »
I got nothing.
Heck, I'm still fighting like hell to stay away from smart phones and texting... a cell phone at all, even.
The idea of active mikes or cams on my person or in my home is just downright creepy.

Even the SmartTV - I busted that sombich on purpose, right off the bat... The amount of traffic it required, even when dormant, just left me uneasy. At least the ROKU is off (no longer on network DHCP) when the TV is off. And the computers I use rather than the SMART side of the SmartTV  remain wholly in my control. Mo bedda.

I can't imagine the need for IoT gadgetry in the house. Coffee makers, tooth brushes, beds, sex toys? Any supposed convenience is completely offset by privacy issues.

The only real convenience I can see out of any of it would be for clocks to be able to access time servers... That would be legit, if that was all they could access, and nothing else. But then, If people didn't screw around with time twice a year, that'd hardly be necessary either.

Good article though. It is interesting to me that the frustration level was the main complaint - considering that convenience seems to be what sells IoT. No doubt ubiquity will resolve a lot of those issues eventually, but I think I'll stick with manually operating my home.

The morning ritual of making coffee as an instance, is a comfort to me... to the point of going back to a stove top percolator next time around. IMHO, the magic is in that ritual, not in the automation thereof.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:52:12 pm »
The Eight Sleep tracker sent its data through a nonstandard port that I wasn’t monitoring, so I wasn’t able track what was happening in the bedroom.

Sure, Surya, sure!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 01:22:39 am »
No IoT "smart house" here.
I've still got knob-and-tube wiring!

Don't own a smartphone.
I don't even answer the "dumb" phone!

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 03:13:29 am »
Ditto, @Fishrrman ! We're not fans of technology,  either.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 05:39:30 pm »
I'm very glad for Alexa, and Google Home helps my blind Dad immensely.  I can't see spending what it costs for smart outlets, though.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 05:46:08 pm »
I'm very glad for Alexa, and Google Home helps my blind Dad immensely.  I can't see spending what it costs for smart outlets, though.

They’ll be mandated in the building code sooner or later.

Offline Snarknado

• Anti
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »
I tried connecting my toilets to the internet but it shorted out my router every time I flushed...
---
Everything I need to know I learned in GTA

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 01:13:35 pm »
LATEST
Amazon devices will soon automatically share your Internet with neighbors
Amazon's experiment wireless mesh networking turns users into guinea pigs.
Dan Goodin - 5/29/2021, 3:10 PM

If you use Alexa, Echo, or any other Amazon device, you have only 10 days to opt out of an experiment that leaves your personal privacy and security hanging in the balance.

On June 8, the merchant, Web host, and entertainment behemoth will automatically enroll the devices in Amazon Sidewalk. The new wireless mesh service will share a small slice of your Internet bandwidth with nearby neighbors who don’t have connectivity and help you to their bandwidth when you don’t have a connection.

By default, Amazon devices including Alexa, Echo, Ring, security cams, outdoor lights, motion sensors, and Tile trackers will enroll in the system. And since only a tiny fraction of people take the time to change default settings, that means millions of people will be co-opted into the program whether they know anything about it or not. The Amazon webpage linked above says Sidewalk "is currently only available in the US."  ...

Amazon has published a white paper detailing the technical underpinnings and service terms that it says will protect the privacy and security of this bold undertaking. To be fair, the paper is fairly comprehensive, and so far no one has pointed out specific flaws that undermine the encryption or other safeguards being put in place. But there are enough theoretical risks to give users pause.  ...
FULL STORY at ars technica
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 04:51:04 pm by mountaineer »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2021, 04:40:25 pm »
The most important part of the article:

Amazon’s decision to make Sidewalk an opt-out service rather than an opt-in one is also telling. The company knows the only chance of the service gaining critical mass is to turn it on by default, so that’s what it’s doing. Fortunately, turning Sidewalk off is relatively painless. It involves:

Opening the Alexa app
    Opening More and selecting Settings
    Selecting Account Settings
    Selecting Amazon Sidewalk
    Turning Amazon Sidewalk Off

I just did it.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2021, 05:09:21 pm »
I tried connecting my toilets to the internet but it shorted out my router every time I flushed...
That's pretty funny.

But consider the poor woman who connected her sex toy to the Internet, only to discover that now, every time she has an orgasm the TV automatically turns on The Handmaid's Tale.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2021, 05:51:51 pm »
The most important part of the article:

I just did it.

Doing this now….

I couldn’t figure it out @Cyber Liberty so I removed the the Dot and the Fire stick. They’re in the sock drawer. I watch Netflix and Prime on my iPad so I should be good. They’re off my WiFi network.

If I decide on a tv stick later, I’ll get a roku
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 06:07:38 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 06:42:41 pm »
Doing this now….

I couldn’t figure it out @Cyber Liberty so I removed the the Dot and the Fire stick. They’re in the sock drawer. I watch Netflix and Prime on my iPad so I should be good. They’re off my WiFi network.

If I decide on a tv stick later, I’ll get a roku

You do it from the Alexa app on your phone...
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2021, 06:46:27 pm »
You do it from the Alexa app on your phone...

It wasn’t working, I followed the instructions. I saw no sidewalk in the settings so it was easier just to take them all out.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2021, 08:06:50 pm »
Doesn't seem to show up on the Amazon Fire Stick I have.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2021, 08:16:18 pm »
Doesn't seem to show up on the Amazon Fire Stick I have.

My understanding is Amazon's new Sidewalk "feature" affects only Alexa, not Fire Stick or Ring.
I will NOT comply.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2021, 09:24:10 pm »
Why would I give Big Tech permission to monitor, collect info, and profit from selling info about the minutia of my insignificant deplorable existence?
Self-Annointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit

I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.
"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Offline Kamaji

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2021, 09:35:40 pm »
My understanding is Amazon's new Sidewalk "feature" affects only Alexa, not Fire Stick or Ring.

Thanks.

Online rustynail

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2021, 09:57:43 pm »
Sidewalk will work with Amazon Echo devices, Ring floodlights and Ring spotlight cams.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/amazon-s-new-sidewalk-feature-will-share-internet-connection/ar-AAKFvn3