Author Topic: Pennsylvania Republicans have drawn a new congressional map that is just as gerrymandered as the old  (Read 2055 times)

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Applewood

Offline corbe

Pennsylvania Supreme Court releases new congressional map

By Julia Manchester - 02/19/18 04:47 PM EST

Pennsylvania's Supreme Court released a new congressional map on Monday after the previous map was found to be a result of unconstitutional gerrymandering from Republicans.

The map, which was approved in a 4-3 vote, is set to go into effect in time for the state's May 15 primaries.

Pennsylvania's current map is considered to be one of the most gerrymandered in the U.S. President Trump captured the state with 48.6 percent of the vote in 2016, but Republicans hold 13 of the state's House seats, compared to only five for Democrats.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/374561-pa-supreme-court-releases-new-congressional-map
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Fortunately the Penn SC just discovered a previously unknown clause in the State Constitution that assigns THEM the task of drawing Congressional boundaries.  I'll bet counselor @Jazzhead is proud of his state tonight.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Not up on PA constitutional state law, but can a state court (even the supreme court) over-ride the legislature in IMPOSING a new district map?

Or ... must their "new map" be ratified by the legislature?

I find it fundamentally wrong that a court -- ANY court -- can impose its will upon the legislature as such.

If they can (at least in PA), I would think a state constitutional amendment to take such power OUT OF the reach of the court would be in order.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Separation of powers. If I were in charge of the Pennsylvania legislature, I would ignore the ruling and dare the court to try holding it in contempt. Let's force a constitutional crisis and settle this once and for all.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline corbe

More Info Here:

Pennsylvania supreme court rejects GOP-drawn congressional districts

Plaintiffs argued districts were unconstitutionally gerrymandered as critics said they looked like Disney Characters

Mon 22 Jan 2018 14.49 EST Last modified on Tue 23 Jan 2018 11.57 EST

Republicans broke decades of precedent in redrawing Pennsylvania’s congressional map.

The Pennsylvania supreme court on Monday struck down the boundaries of the state’s 18 congressional districts, granting a major victory to plaintiffs who contended that they were unconstitutionally gerrymandered to benefit Republicans.

Republicans who controlled the legislature and governor’s office following the 2010 census broke decades of geographical precedent when redrawing the map, producing contorted shapes including one that critics said resembled “Goofy kicking Donald Duck”.

They shifted whole counties and cities into different districts in an effort to protect a Republican advantage in the congressional delegation. They succeeded, securing 13 of 18 seats in a state where registered Democrats outnumber Republicans five to four.

The Democratic-controlled court said the boundaries “clearly, plainly and palpably” violated the state’s constitution, and blocked the map from remaining in effect for the 2018 elections. The deadline to file paperwork to run in primaries for the seats is 6 March.

<..snip..>

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jan/22/pennsylvania-republicans-congressional-maps-supreme-court
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Constitution clearly states that state legislatures draw districts. GOP should be able to take this to federal court no problem.

Offline Frank Cannon

Constitution clearly states that state legislatures draw districts. GOP should be able to take this to federal court no problem.

The GOP took it to court and they laughed their asses off at it. The map they drew is an insane shitshow. The lines are so bad that in some cases the district is held together by a residence. As of today, the court provided map is what will be used and it is going to add some Rat House members to the Philthy and Pitt areas.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The GOP took it to court and they laughed their asses off at it. The map they drew is an insane shitshow. The lines are so bad that in some cases the district is held together by a residence. As of today, the court provided map is what will be used and it is going to add some Rat House members to the Philthy and Pitt areas.

As I said....@Jazzhead is a proud little boy Shitshow today!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:54:28 am by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Here's what I presume to be the court-drawn map:

It has "district lines" that look realistic [unlike some of the previously-gerrymandered districts the Pubbies had created earlier), although the democrat-communist-dominated court may have tweaked some of those lines to favor the democrat-communists.

The Republican legislature should tell the state supreme court "thanks, but no thanks".
And then, adjust the above map slightly to better reflect "Republican-weighting" of the districts. (After all, they won the legislature and the legislature DOES have the right to re-draw Congressional districts). Make it LOOK reasonable.

Don't mangle the above map too much -- just make some modest changes that will still produce a map with district lines that "make sense" (as the above one does).

Only -- tip the "sense" towards the Republican lines!

Offline thackney

I'm out of monthly WaPo views

Clear your browser history, rinse and repeat as necessary.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Fortunately the Penn SC just discovered a previously unknown clause in the State Constitution that assigns THEM the task of drawing Congressional boundaries.  I'll bet counselor @Jazzhead is proud of his state tonight.

Not me.  Courts have no business redrawing Congressional districts.  The process is inherently political and the province of the legislature, not the courts.   This is dangerous, dangerous precedent.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Not me.  Courts have no business redrawing Congressional districts.  The process is inherently political and the province of the legislature, not the courts.   This is dangerous, dangerous precedent.

Agreed.  In trying to make it "non-political" they politicized it.

(I wasn't trying to be a snot when I pinged you, I really wanted to know what you think because you have skin in this game.)
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

@Frank Cannon
Since when do courts get to draw election maps?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon
Since when do courts get to draw election maps?

@Bigun

Since now apparently...

New Pennsylvania map gives Democrats big boost in midterms

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/19/pennsylvania-redistrict-democrats-midterms-354432

Democrats’ hopes of winning the House this fall got a boost Monday with the release of a new congressional-district map in Pennsylvania that could help the party pick up several seats in the battleground state.

Under the previous map, drawn by a Republican Legislature in 2011 and approved by the then-Republican governor, Republicans won 13 of the state's 18 congressional districts in 2016, when President Donald Trump carried 12 of the 18 districts.

But early estimates of the new, court-drawn map suggest there are now 10 Trump seats — opening the door for Democrats to inch closer to the House majority when voters go to the polls this November. The extra Democratic-leaning seats are primarily in the Philadelphia suburbs.

“This is pretty close to a Democratic wet dream,” Christopher Nicholas, a Republican consultant based in Pennsylvania, said of the new map.

Republican legislative leaders are expected to appeal the court-drawn map. State Senate President Pro Tempore Joe Scarnati and state House Speaker Mike Turzai said they "anticipate further action in federal court" in a statement released Monday evening.

“Implementation of this map would create a constitutional crisis where the Pennsylvania Supreme Court is usurping the authority of the Legislative and Executive branches," Scarnati and Turzai's statement says. "This map illustrates that the definition of fair is simply code for a desire to elect more Democrats.”

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
"This map illustrates that the definition of fair is simply code for a desire to elect more Democrats.”

This is absolutely the truth.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
@Bigun

Since now apparently...

New Pennsylvania map gives Democrats big boost in midterms

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/02/19/pennsylvania-redistrict-democrats-midterms-354432

@Frank Cannon

I hope the legislature is planning to take strong exception to that!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien