Author Topic: WSJ: Amazon business delivery service launch targets FedEx, UPS  (Read 814 times)

Offline Applewood

WSJ: Amazon business delivery service launch targets FedEx, UPS

Amazon is preparing to launch a business delivery service that will directly compete with FedEx and UPS, The Wall Street Journal reports.

The new service is dubbed “Shipping with Amazon” or SWA. It will entail Amazon picking up packages from businesses and shipping them to consumers, according to people familiar with the matter who spoke to the WSJ.

Amazon plans to start the new delivery service in Los Angeles in coming weeks with third-party merchants that sell goods via its website, according to the WSJ sources. Amazon then aims to expand the service to more cities as soon as this year, some of the people say.

The new service moves Amazon into direct competition for parcel business currently handled by delivery partners UPS and FedEx.

More at:

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2018/02/09/wsj-amazon-business-delivery-service-launch.html

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: WSJ: Amazon business delivery service launch targets FedEx, UPS
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:37:24 pm »
UPS is expensive as all heck, so thats gonna be nice.

Will be hard to compete with FedEx.

Question is why?
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:09:29 pm »
UPS is expensive as all heck, so thats gonna be nice.

Will be hard to compete with FedEx.

Question is why?

Why not?  This is the way Amazon seems to work.  They have no compunction about just diving into a venture and taking risks.  And it seems for the most part, Amazon has been successful.

Besides, I expect having their own delivery service will save the company money.  It will save their third party sellers money.  Amazon has a distribution center near me and for anything the company has in stock at that center, it already has people delivering for them locally.  Sounds like a great idea all around.  Well, maybe except for Fed Ex and UPS.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 04:56:18 pm »
Most of the items I receive from Amazon come via "AMZL" already, so I don't see this as that much of a leap.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 05:00:30 pm »
Competition is a GOOD thing regardless of the industry!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 05:48:20 pm »
A quick story. Around 13 years ago I purchased two Dahon folding bicycles. My running was nearing the end, and I wanted to be able to bike instead on short regional vacations.

Anyway by now the bike has had plenty of regular use from home. A few days ago  left for a ride, and one pedal was broken. Folding pedals, for travel.

I checked Amazon, and they carried what looked identical to the original wheels, for under $11 delivered in two days. I pushed Purchase.

Two days later the pedals arrived. I had checked with the bicycle maker Dahon, and they charge $34.95 (if I could find a store selling them).

The shopping world has changed. Plain Amazon Prime is a fantastic value. I watch streaming video content, listen to music, get free shipping on purchases at great prices, etc.

And think Amazon, started as a new/used book store. I know because I shopped online in internet early days.

They have an extremely efficient business model, from top to bottom (from shopping website to delivery-and follow up).
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln