Author Topic: New York docked $14M for I Love NY highway signs  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Suppressed

New York docked $14M for I Love NY highway signs
« on: February 02, 2018, 04:23:46 am »
New York docked $14M for I Love NY highway signs
Jon Campbell, @JonCampbellGAN
Published 1:15 p.m. ET Feb. 1, 2018 | Updated 8:36 p.m. ET Feb. 1, 2018

Paul Karas, head of the state DOT, said on Thursday, Jan. 25, 2018, that his agency was not submitting a plan to the feds in the coming weeks to resolve ongoing issues over I Love NY highway signs. The agency did four days later. Jon Campbell / Albany Bureau

ALBANY - The federal government docked New York $14 million on Thursday for installing more than 500 I Love NY signs that violate road rules and state law.

The penalty imposed by the Federal Highway Administration is its strongest move yet to try to force the removal of the blue-and-white highway signs, which Gov. Andrew Cuomo's administration spent $8.1 million installing in recent years despite being ordered not to in 2013.

[...]

The $14 million will be restored if the state meets the deadline, Hendrickson wrote.

"Because of the installation of more than 500 non-compliant signs and repeated notification to remove these installations, the FHWA will assess initial penalties for non-compliance effective immediately," wrote Hendrickson, who was appointed by President Donald Trump.

[...]

Cuomo’s administration first began installing the signs in 2014, six months after the FHWA rejected a request from the state Department of Transportation to experiment with I Love NY signs. The state rapidly expanded the signage in 2016.

[...]

A USA TODAY Network review showed the state paid contractors overtime, printed some of the signs out of state and used emergency contracts to ensure they were up before the July 4 holiday in 2016, driving up the total cost to more than $15,000 per sign.

FHWA contends the signs are potentially hazardous and convey no information that's of use to a driver while driving. The state maintains they're safe and informational.

The signs contain a web address as well as various fonts and images that are all prohibited by strict federal rules that govern what can and can't be placed along roadways. State law, meanwhile, largely defers to the federal rules.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Re: New York docked $14M for I Love NY highway signs
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:24:25 am »
Cuomo's arrogance is at legendary levels.

These costs should come right out of his personal funds.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 10:53:47 am »
 22222frying pan

I ❤️NY

A lot of the state is very pretty.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:33:25 am »
And we wonder why our taxes are so high. $15,000 per sign! Just to dig two holes, pour in a bit of cement and stick up an ugly piece of sheet metal.

Government is not the answer, it’s the problem.

Government always finds a need for whatever money it gets.
Ronald Reagan

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.
Ronald Reagan

Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.
Ronald Reagan

Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other.
Ronald Reagan

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
Ronald Reagan

Governments tend not to solve problems, only to rearrange them.
Ronald Reagan

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 05:51:18 pm »
22222frying pan

I ❤️NY

A lot of the state is very pretty.
It's a nice place to live, as long as you can afford it.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 06:02:40 pm »
It's a nice place to live, as long as you can afford it.

There are better places.