Author Topic: L.A.'s homelessness surged 75% in six years. Here's why the crisis has been decades in the making  (Read 223 times)

rangerrebew

L.A.'s homelessness surged 75% in six years. Here's why the crisis has been decades in the making

By Gale Holland
Feb 01, 2018 | 3:00 AM

Some of the poorest people in the city spend their days in the shadow of Los Angeles City Hall, napping on flattened cardboard boxes.

On any given day, as many as 20 people take to the City Hall lawn, across the street from LAPD headquarters. They're there to "escape the madness" in downtown streets, a 53-year-old homeless man named Lazarus said last week. At night, they fan out to doorways or deserted plazas to wait for daybreak.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-homeless-how-we-got-here-20180201-story.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:45:54 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The problem has only gotten worse since Mayor Eric Garcetti took office in 2013 and a liberal Democratic supermajority emerged in 2016 on the county Board of Supervisors.

That should have been in the 1st paragraph.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goatprairie

Liberals either create or exacerbate an existing problem. There have always been homeless. We used to call them bums. Mike Royko wrote an article about it one time. 
But when you start making excuses for and subsidizing these people, you get more of them...a lot more of them.