Author Topic: Making the Federal Government Lean Again  (Read 258 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Making the Federal Government Lean Again
« on: February 08, 2018, 05:46:05 pm »
With trillion-dollar deficits on the horizon, now is the time to start talking about government austerity
By Veronique de Rugy
http://reason.com/archives/2018/02/08/making-the-federal-government-lean-again/print

We are not in a full-scale war. We are not in a recession or fighting a high unemployment rate. But the federal government is spending as if we were a teenager with a parent's credit card. Trillion-dollar deficits are coming back soon, so this is the perfect moment to start talking about government austerity.

According to the Congressional Budget Office, even before taking under consideration the budget impact of the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act and the added spending from the budget deals, we are about three years away from the next $1 trillion deficit. Also, this year, the Department of the Treasury will inevitably have to borrow hundreds of billions of dollars to pile on top of our already eye-popping $20.6 trillion of gross debt, which is public debt plus the debt the federal government owes to other accounts, such as Social Security. That's over 100 percent of our gross domestic product. It will also have to request yet another increase to its borrowing limit.

Strikingly, President Donald Trump made zero mention of the debt or the growing deficits during his State of the Union address. However, he didn't fail to ask for new spending on infrastructure, another job training program to be added to the dozens of existing and inefficient ones, immigration enforcement, and a wall on the southern border. And he asked for more defense spending than he is currently allowed to have.

There was no mention of how we would pay for all of that stuff, and he even mentioned more tax cuts. (Obamacare taxes, I am looking at you.) For those reasons, it's high time to ask that this administration and Congress make the federal budget lean again . . . it is worth trying to fight for fiscal responsibility by reminding elected officials that debt and deficits aren't good. They're expensive. They slow the economy over time. They make it more difficult to respond to true emergencies. And they make it likelier that tax cuts will be undone in the future. They are also unfair to the future generations that will pay for them with lower growth, fewer jobs and higher taxes . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Making the Federal Government Lean Again
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 02:54:37 am »
Didn't bother reading.
Never gonna happen...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:04:43 am »
Didn't bother reading.
Never gonna happen...

Yep. Not till folks start figuring out the difference between a Conservative and a Republican...
Which is also never gonna happen.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:09:13 am »
Yep. Not till folks start figuring out the difference between a Conservative and a Republican...
Even more than that---it probably won't happen until "folks" start evolving from the infantilism that tells them the State is the alpha and omega of temporal life and should be relied on first to satisfy their actual or imagined needs and wants.

But it shouldn't block us from continuing the argument . . . or reading and concurring with those who make the argument more eloquently than we might make it.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:06 am »
Wish I could wave a magic wand and make it happen but no dice!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:12:16 am »
Even more than that---it probably won't happen until "folks" start evolving from the infantilism that tells them the State is the alpha and omega of temporal life and should be relied on first to satisfy their actual or imagined needs and wants.

But it shouldn't block us from continuing the argument . . . or reading and concurring with those who make the argument more eloquently than we might make it.

right... Recognizing a Conservative from a Republican...  :tongue2:

:beer: