Author Topic: US coalition kills 100 pro-Assad troops after attack on Kurd allies  (Read 251 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US coalition kills 100 pro-Assad troops after attack on Kurd allies
MEE and agencies
US official says coalition responded to attack on SDF, while Syrian state TV station calls bombing 'an attempt to support terrorism'

Thursday 8 February 2018 08:44 UTC

Last update: Thursday 8 February 2018 12:49 UTC

The US-led coalition killed at least 100 Syrian government and allied fighters over Wednesday night in response to what it said was an "unprovoked attack" in eastern Syria, a US official said, in one of the deadliest incidents of its kind.

The flare-up lasted into the early hours of Thursday and was sparked by an attack on positions held by the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) in Deir Ezzor province, the Combined Joint Task Force said.

Read more at: http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/us-led-strikes-syria-pro-government-forces-kill-100-us-official-1924957295

Offline TomSea

Re: US coalition kills 100 pro-Assad troops after attack on Kurd allies
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »
Even if this was a response to an attack on the forces we backed, it's difficult to see how this is not an invitation to more war.

We've got people on the ground there, Israel just bombed some chemical weapons depot and it is reported the Syrian government is dropping chemical weapons on their own people.

It's difficult to see how this does not lead from one thing to another.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 03:13:57 pm »
Excellent!  The Kurds have always been there for us and we have treated them shabbily often. That is not right!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline TomSea

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 06:44:45 pm »
Debka reports:

On Wednesday night and Thursday morning, Jan. 7-8, members of the US 11th Marine Expeditionary Unit fired M777 Howitzer guns, backed by air strikes, against Hizballah and pro-Iranian Shiite militia forces operating in the Deir ez-Zour region east of the Euphrates River ... The objects of this lesson were the Assad regime, Turkey, Iran and Hizballah ... On Tuesday, Russian forces took over the Syrian Abu Dhuhour Airport east of Idlib and moved in Russian planes and helicopters. Elsewhere in Syria, they deployed their air defense weapons systems to new positions in the Aleppo and Idlib regions. A Syrian military spokesman announced that all parts of northern Syria were now covered by a comprehensive anti-missile shield. Afrin air space had suddenly become an effective no-fly zone for Turkish air force operations

https://www.debka.com/us-air-artillery-strike-hizballah-iranian-forces-e-syria/

This sounds plausible. In the past, I have been wary of Debka so take it for what it is worth.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 03:08:05 am »
CBS reports:

Forces hit by U.S. in Syria included Russian mercenaries, official says

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/forces-hit-by-u-s-in-syria-included-russian-mercenaries-official-says/

So, to me, quite a story to watch.

On the Syrian regime side, you do have fighters such as these mercenaries, or even Shias from Afghanistan who might be able to make some money by going to Syria to fight. I feel somewhat sorry for them, they just get a bit caught up in it.